Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
FS: 65 Monza Project in Tempe AZ
Posted by: azdave ()
Date: May 12, 2022 08:17AM

This 1965 Monza coupe was in the process of being transformed into a sporty but road-legal autocross candidate or maybe even a Yenko tribute car when the owner and long-time Cactus Corvair Club member passed away.

The engine was built by fellow club member and local Corvair repair guru Gary Sudbeck of Mesa, Arizona. To the best of my knowledge, it has not been started or broken-in. New competition cam, gear & lifters, forged .060 over pistons & rings, new bearings, new clutch & pressure plate, etc. It comes with a center-mount carb setup but not all the linkages are there. The carb shows it was factory rebuilt by Holley.

The 66 4-speed tranny and diff on this car were rebuilt some years ago by Bob Anderson from Tucson of CIDCO fame. The tranny and diff have also never had any miles put on them and I’m guessing the diff is a 3.55. Just the engine/tranny/diff combo cost more than the asking price.

Sure this car needs quite a bit of assembly work to get it on the road but other than some rust blems, it is a very solid southwest desert chassis and a great candidate for restoration or driving as-is once the mechanicals are assembled.

The fuel tank was removed and could not be located. The shifter and shift tube were removed but are inside the car. The brakes have been converted to a dual MC. The tail lights were customized by Bob but can be returned to stock with a lens change. All four tail lights have the azdave high-power LED conversions installed. The tires have aged out and will need to be replaced for the street but they do hold air with no issues until then. Under the dash, I saw a new Clark’s wire harness was being installed and I’m sure Bob planned for a Corsa dash in this Monza although we only found two Monza dashes which are included in the sale.

This is the last Corvair that Bob had so many extra Corvair parts we found in the shop are also being included in the sale. Those extra parts can be seen in assorted storage bins on the photo pages and include many A/C components. The engine was built with an A/C accessory pulley installed and a 90-degree oil filter adapter so I’m sure air conditioning was planned someday.

There are over 250 detailed photos that can answer many of your questions so please review them. I am the point of contact if you have questions. Chuck (member name croderique) took many of the photos and also helped me prepare the car for sale so he can also assist. The car is located in Tempe, Arizona.

260 PHOTOS

Clean Arizona title, ready to transfer. The seller is Bob's widow. Chuck and I are only helping her find a buyer and have no cut in the deal.

Asking $5000

forsale

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FS: 65 Monza Project in Tempe AZ
Posted by: fred bagnall ()
Date: May 12, 2022 08:49AM

It looks like someone is going to get a great deal. If I was still out west I would be snatching this up immediately. I am sure it won't last long. GLWTS!!

64 Greenbrier std -110, 4spd,barn find on the road again after 46 year hiatus.
66 Turbo Corsa, 180hp,posi-trac, quick steering HD suspension,AM-FM-multiplex,soft-Ray glass all around
Floridian currently residing in Nor Cal

Posted by: croderique ()
Date: May 12, 2022 09:34AM

Thanks Dave. Great write-up. It is a solid car with Yenko aspirations!
Some assembly required.

Buckeye, AZ.
1966 Monza convertible 110 hp 4 speed Aztec Bronze with Bronze interior

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2022 09:36AM by croderique.

Date: May 17, 2022 01:01PM

Update:

Sold for the full asking price of $5000.

It will be joining a few other LM Corvairs in a family fleet nearby so I'm sure we'll see it on the streets again soon.

65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 17, 2022 01:11PM

I LOVE IT! That is especially good for the widow as well. I have to admit I wondered about the rebuilt engine. Were the heads done up (deep seats)? I wondered if the engine A/C parts were there? This is all "water under the bridge" now that it sold. Glad it found a good home for some obviously neat stuff.

Date: May 17, 2022 01:46PM

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I LOVE IT! That is especially good for the widow as well.

Yup! Diane was sad to see Bob's cars leaving the shop (Bob had a 62 Wildcat as well that just sold) but she knows the two Corvairs went to good homes.

I'm pretty sure that this 65 Monza will become a Yenko Stinger tribute since the buyer's father owns a real one. grinning smiley

65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.