Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Lowering Brake Pedal
Posted by: mikeycee ()
Date: May 11, 2022 01:08PM

Has anyone here know of or done a job of lowering a brake pedal on a PG. Due to loss of leg strength from Covid nearly two years ago it is difficult but not impossible to hit the brakes. At seventy-five I still feel like a teenager and could never imagine not sitting behind the wheel. I'm still capable of fabricating "stuff" if you will and look forward to any tips. cool smiley Thanks Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2022 01:10PM by mikeycee.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lowering Brake Pedal
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: May 11, 2022 01:11PM

You could fabricate up a hand control too.

We have more than one member who has.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 11, 2022 02:50PM

Fabricate a larger pedal PAD with the bottom being closer to the floor.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: May 11, 2022 03:13PM

Starting in '67 the push rod attaching point on the brake pedal moved up a slight amount thus making it easier to push. This will give you a slightly longer travel of the pedal. My '69 has always had a hard to push pedal so I moved the attaching point up just a little bit more. There would be a point where the angle of the push rod entering the Master Cylinder could be too steep so don't get carried away moving it.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: May 11, 2022 03:35PM

If you just want to lower the pedal you can adjust the push rod shorter, this will effectively lower the pedal. You can then add a longer rubber block to hold the pedal down where you have adjusted it to.
Keep in mind that if the brakes wear and you do not adjust them you could end up with the pedal on the floor. Also if you have a dual master and you break a line you may not have the full safety of the dual cylinder working properly.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: May 11, 2022 04:25PM

Maybe switch to a 7/8 master cylinder. Will increase pedal travel and decrease effort.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 11, 2022 04:38PM

[www.ebay.com] $18

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: May 11, 2022 05:10PM

vairmech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you just want to lower the pedal you can adjust the push rod shorter, this will effectively lower the pedal.

I think the "lower" he is looking for is actually "longer". To increase leverage (ease of application) to the master cylinder.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio 45840

Date: May 11, 2022 07:02PM

Wagon Master Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> vairmech Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > If you just want to lower the pedal you can adjust the push rod shorter, this will effectively lower the pedal.
>
> I think the "lower" he is looking for is actually "longer". To increase leverage (ease of application) to the master cylinder.

Actually I do mean lower. When I go from the gas pedal to the brake pedal I don't want to lift my leg very much at all. Now if I don't become consciously aware of my action I end up hitting the side of the pedal rather than fluidly resting upon top of it. Mike

Date: May 11, 2022 07:08PM

Then you could do as Ken suggested. Just be advised the pedal will be closer to the floor when applied. Perhaps lower the brake pedal slightly and raise the gas pedal slightly with a block. Readjust your seat position to suit.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio 45840

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: May 11, 2022 08:05PM

If you can't raise the bridge..., lower the river.

The other option is to put a block on the face of the gas pedal. It could be as simple as screwing a 2"X2" to the gas pedal. You will lose no travel of the gas or brake pedals and you will effectively have your foot closer to the brake. This might require adjustment of the seat.

45+ years ago when I was in high school I knew a guy who was a dwarf. He had pedal extensions that I'd think would be available wherever disabled assist items are sold. As with anything altered "DO AT YOUR OWN RISK".

Posted by: vairsUPnorth ()
Date: May 11, 2022 08:52PM

Instead of lowering the brake pedal (with all of the inherent safety issues) why not raise the accelerator pedal to match the brake? Perhaps seat track extenders might also be needed depending on the height of the driver but these should not be a problem.

It's a long story but due to complications of my father falling off a snow statue he was building* while in college, which resulted in the shattering his right ankle; much later in life he had to have that foot amputated. I ended up installing a "left foot accelerator" pedal attachments in his 2003 Ranger, 2006 Dodge Caravan and later his 2012 Subaru Outback. In each case I adjusted the position of the left pedal to the same height as the brake to make it easier to shift between the two. A simple block on the accelerator of a PG Corvair should accomplish the same result.

>> I drove his vehicles many times, including some long trips using only my left leg/foot. It didn't take too much to get used to, which I attribute in part to owning only manual transmission daily driver vehicles. I think this would be a very hard transition for someone accustomed to the currently taught "right foot accelerator, left foot brake" method of driving.

* Snow statue [sculpture] building is a central activity of Michigan Technological University's annual Winter Carnival celebration. 2022 was the 100th anniversary of this event.

Dale Dewald
President - Corvanatics
Hancock, MI

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 12, 2022 05:37AM

I would also be concerned about removing some of the potential pedal travel. If everything isn't perfect, sometimes you need all the pedal travel you can get. This is especially true with dual master cylinders, in fact the pedal travel we do have is barely adequate in the event of a half failure.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: May 12, 2022 07:44AM

Why not also decrease pedal effort with an electric brake booster like a Bosch ibooster?
These are commonly found on later small Hondas, like Accords, and aren't that expensive or complicated to use.
Here's a good video on them.

Inside Tesla's Brake Booster (And How To Use It On Any Car)

Nick

Louisville, KY, US

64 Greenbrier

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: May 12, 2022 08:08AM

That Tesla booster is bitchen but it wont fit without modification to the reservoir.

We installed a standard style vacuum booster in Zonker...you need to run vacuum to it.

I do have a backup vacuum storage tank purchased as it needs more for repeated braking.

[www.ebay.com]

[www.ebay.com]

Attachments:
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 12, 2022 08:56AM

Not a pedal depressing (force) issue, after he gets his foot on the brake.

He has a bad knee that doesn't allow him to EASILY pick his foot up the distance from gas pedal to brake pedal "WITHOUT A LOT OF DIFFICULTY".

A hand operated brake, previously suggested, would be a great idea.

Posted by: Saxon ()
Date: May 12, 2022 09:38AM

An Ergonomics Engineer would say, "Let's look at a re-design."

A Physical Therapist would say, "Let's look at increasing your range of motion or strength building."

Both good step wise approaches.

Northern CA
66 Monza Coupe 4-spd 140

Date: May 12, 2022 12:53PM

Anyhow for what it's worth my brake pedal is 5" perpendicular from the sloped floor pan. eye popping smiley Mike

Date: May 12, 2022 07:20PM

How much higher is your brake pedal than the gas pedal?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.