Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Clarks Mechanical Fuel Pump
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 11, 2022 06:44AM

I had a customer check with Clarks for a fuel pump. He was told they are working on getting a new and improved fuel pump manufactured. Anyone know anything about this or conjecture about what manufacturer they might be working with?

I was pretty much convinced that the only one making them in recent years was Airtex and everything else was simply reboxed. An exception to this may have been Carter. Now that Airtex has been bought up by a bigger conglomerate I imagine things have changed.

It would be good to know if something good is coming.
I haven't installed a new mechanical pump for a few years now. Lots of electric conversions.
I've got 2 milk cases full of old fuel pumps in case a successful rebuild kit comes along.

Anybody know anything?

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clarks Mechanical Fuel Pump
Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: May 11, 2022 08:44AM

JIm, see PM

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8 door Greenbrier, +.060, stroked 1/4", 186 ci.140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: May 11, 2022 08:47AM

Is it possible to have a dummy pump installed after an electric conversion?

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 11, 2022 08:59AM

Yes, Eric. My Rampside has a "dummy" pump (center section) so that I can use the stock fuel lines and maintain the stock appearance. Also safer having steel fuel lines especially if a fan belt breaks apart.

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: May 11, 2022 09:03AM

Yes, I made one. I put fuel pressure gage in top, but not needed.
Basically a shaped block of aluminum that takes the place of the center section that the stock fuel lines thread into.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
62' Wagon rebuild MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Attachments:
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 11, 2022 01:10PM

JMO,

Having an electric pump with lines routed balance tube is a cleaner and less hassles with the lines. Most people not Vair savvy wanting to see engine would not know it was modified, unless you told them. Also, lines installation can use the cunifer tubing, since fan belt loss will never hit them full force.

1st photo is what I did on the 64 van I used to own. Only one "T" fitting to join the 3 custom lines. Made the lines with my friend.

The More Door used the factory lines and 2 fittings to get all lines connected. I probably could use the "T" fitting I am using on the Coupe to simplify the More Door installation. 2nd photo is More Door installation.

Coupe will have in improved version on the van's fuel lines installation. Different "T" fitting and line's being routed for the LM installation. I have prototype lines done and now making new cleaner lines for the final installation.

Attachments:

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: May 11, 2022 07:29PM

Sooo, back to the OP question. Seems I recall a post here (or maybe on COG Facebook page) from Clark’s Corvair saying that they were developing an improved mechanical pump and wanted input from experts in order to get the best design.

I did a search and couldn’t find it.

Posted by: Dean ()
Date: May 12, 2022 03:57AM

It was on the front page of the 2022 Price List and Supplement from Clark's.
They hope to have fuel pumps by end of 2022.

Dean
Cedar Rapids, IA

64 Monza Coupe
69 500 Coupe
67 Jaguar XKE FHC

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 12, 2022 05:09AM

Info attached. Thought I had read it, but forgot location.

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.