Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT (ish): Leaded Gasoline - Another reason to be proud of the Corvair engine
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: May 10, 2022 11:26AM

One of the characteristics of the Corvair Air-cooled engine is that it does fine with unleaded gasoline, or at least much better than other engines from its era.

And this is why that's cool:

The Man Who Accidentally Killed The Most People In History

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT (ish): Leaded Gasoline - Another reason to be proud of the Corvair engine
Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: May 10, 2022 02:23PM

Only problem is the valve seats fallout!

Re: OT (ish): Leaded Gasoline - Another reason to be proud of the Corvair engine
Date: May 10, 2022 04:26PM

That's what the deep seats are for!

On a related note, what exactly is the "regular fuel" additive available today? Is it still lead or something else?

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: May 10, 2022 08:32PM

playerpage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's what the deep seats are for!
>
> On a related note, what exactly is the "regular fuel" additive available today? Is it still lead or something else?

The most common octane additives today are Benzene, Toluene, Xylene, and Ethanol, although there is one more that I cant remember. These are collectively known as "aromatics".

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car
Test Start#2 [www.youtube.com]

Date: May 10, 2022 09:00PM

Thanks Kevin,

I didn't know that beyond Ethanol. Actually though, I was trying to ask about the stuff you can buy at the Auto Parts Store, that says "for cars that require regular gasoline" and "get your old car's performance a boost!" And so on.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: JerryM ()
Date: May 10, 2022 09:07PM

Then there was the MTBE debacle...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.