Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Charging Issue - 65 Monza 110
Posted by: falude ()
Date: May 09, 2022 06:04PM

Hi All – I am hoping that you might be able to help me diagnose a charging issue that I am having on my 65 Monza 110. With the stock Delco-Remy voltage regulator, the car is overcharging (16 to 17 V at idle). To address this I have tried the following:

1. Cleaned and checked grounds – No change
2. Replaced the voltage regulator 4-wire connector – No change
3. Replaced the voltage regulator with a solid-state unit from FLAPS – Instead of overcharging, car would not charge with FLAPS unit.
4. Replaced voltage regulator with a solid-state unit from Clark’s – car not charging
5. Replaced alternator with a rebuilt unit – no change. Overcharging on the stock regulator and not charging with solid-state regulators.

I do have an FSM and have gone through the test light checks, but haven’t found anything wrong. I have also checked continuity on the field wiring, and it is good.

Is it possible that I have just happened to pick up two bad solid-state regulators from two different sources, or am I overlooking something stupid? Thank you - Matt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Charging Issue - 65 Monza 110
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 09, 2022 06:20PM

Check the "voltage sensing" lead. It's terminated at the Single post junction block near the battery.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: May 09, 2022 09:20PM

I think it is very possible that you got 2 bad regulators.
I like Matt's answer but I would think the other regulators would also overcharge. Maybe the solid state ones act differently with a wire disconnected?

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 134 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: May 10, 2022 10:09AM

As you have gone through the FSM, test light checks, you may have noticed they never fail to include the ground symbol. Make sure the little ground wire is in good shape. Measure 0 volts from battery neg post to regulator base. Engine running

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2022 10:12AM by Richard.

Attachments:
Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: May 10, 2022 10:23AM

It over charges with the original regulator and doesn't charge with the others. This answers your question as the alternator can charge so it has to be a regulator problem. If the original is a Delco I would try adjusting it. It is easy to do.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: falude ()
Date: May 14, 2022 07:42AM

Thank you all for your help. It turned out after all of that to be a grounding issue. On the replacement solid-state regulators, I thought I was grounding them by connecting the ground wire from the body of the car to the condenser terminal on the back of the regulator. Once I moved the ground wire to the top of the regulator body, everything magically started working again. Lesson learned!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2022 07:47AM by falude.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 14, 2022 08:41AM

Great!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.