Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
LA Corsa smg pump car .?
Posted by: 48kb1panel ()
Date: May 08, 2022 12:30PM

Hi Everyone. Happy moms day to all spinning smiley sticking its tongue out can anyone tell me the story about the corsas with a RT designation it shows up in Bob Helt book under 140mt/air. 1966 foot note 9. Just curious what it looked like and where and how it was installed. Just need some more Historywinking smiley

My name is Mike Worrell living in southern Iowa my vairs are a 64 2dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed light yellow with blk interior. Then a few months ago I got a 65 2 Dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed
Also light yellow with blk interior. Not sure what gear ratio as of now I'll have a look and up date. I really like them both but really liking the 65. They really made a lot of changes in a 1 year difference ????

Re: LA Corsa smg pump car .?
Posted by: Slaw31 ()
Date: May 08, 2022 12:48PM

It wouldn’t be a turbo I assume. Just 140. Believe 66 had the valves in the air cleaner? Other than that not sure the differences

Date: May 08, 2022 02:12PM

Yea it's a 140 4 carb.

My name is Mike Worrell living in southern Iowa my vairs are a 64 2dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed light yellow with blk interior. Then a few months ago I got a 65 2 Dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed
Also light yellow with blk interior. Not sure what gear ratio as of now I'll have a look and up date. I really like them both but really liking the 65. They really made a lot of changes in a 1 year difference ????

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: May 08, 2022 02:14PM

Case suffix identification chart.

Right hand column near the top.

Attachments:
Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: May 08, 2022 04:17PM

Think the California 66 Corvair A.I.R. system was somewhat unique.

The 66 Shop Manual Supplement (and 66 Assembly manual) will probably be the most accurate / helpful info.

Date: May 08, 2022 04:39PM

Thanks guys. The one I'm referring too is without the smog installed will that effect the performance at all?

Posted by: Slaw31 ()
Date: May 08, 2022 05:06PM

48kb1panel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks guys. The one I'm referring too is without the smog installed will that effect the performance at all?

It shouldn’t as long as the extra vacuum lines are plugged.

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: May 08, 2022 05:33PM

There are two AIR systems used on the Corvair, '66 and first design '67. Then 2nd design '67 thru '9. I have not seen anything to say when the design change happened. Most of the pluming changed between the 2 designs.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 08, 2022 08:42PM

Not counting the actual smog equipment, about the only real difference between the non-smog, and smog 140's was the fact that smog 140's used stainless steel exhaust tube to handle the extra heat generated by the Air Injection Reactor.
The rest of the engine internals are the same.
IF, you are concerned about it, just pop non-smog exhaust logs onto a smog 140, and you are good to go. thumbs up

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: May 08, 2022 08:46PM

48kb1panel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Everyone. Happy moms day to all spinning smiley sticking its tongue out can anyone tell me the story about the corsas with a RT designation it shows up in Bob Helt book under 140mt/air. 1966 foot note 9. Just curious what it looked like and where and how it was installed. Just need some more Historywinking smiley

Mike,
Here's a link to a thread on the subject. This photo is posted there of an original 1966 A.I.R. anti-smog system installed on a two carb engine.

The air pump is on the lower right and the larger hose comes from the air cleaner to supply air. The smaller tubes distribute the air to the exhaust manifold logs via tubes to put air into the exhaust stream to promote additional oxidation of the unburned carbohydrates in the exhaust system.

No real difference between the A.I.R. system on a two-carb or four-carb engine. It was all about getting air inside the exhaust log manifolds...

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CCF admin ~
CORSA +Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2022 08:49PM by 1966-Corsa-GT-180.

Date: May 09, 2022 08:16AM

That is the second design system. The one used in '66 (the 1st design) would have the mixture control valves in the air cleaner cross over tube.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: May 09, 2022 09:53AM

Rex,
Is this first design (scroll to pics)?

[corvaircenter.com]

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa coupe basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Date: May 09, 2022 12:49PM

Yes, that air cleaner cross over in the link is from the first design system.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.