Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
New 13" Feet (Thanks Tom!) - So, Shoe Recommendations?
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: May 07, 2022 12:09PM

Hey all,

I recently got these new wheels, courtesy of Tom Gould. These are his originals from his racing days in the '60s/70's/'80s. Originally purchased in 1968.

They are 13x6 inch wheels. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what "Shoes" I should put on these "Feet?"

Thanks in advance.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2022 04:31AM by vairmech.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New 13' Feet (Thanks Tom!) - So, Shoe Recommendations?
Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: May 07, 2022 12:35PM

They look like 13"X 5.5". The width is measured from inside to inside of the bead.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Date: May 07, 2022 01:05PM

Is that a real size? Or would they be 13x5? I can also ask Tom for clarification. I took a stab in the dark with the 6. He didn't tell me that number.

Date: May 07, 2022 01:32PM

Confirmed. You're right. 5.5, same as stock.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: May 07, 2022 01:35PM

That is a stock Corvair size rim.

Maxxis MA-1 P185/80R13 fits.

Correct 5/8" wide whitewall.

Currently run them on Gem.

edit: forgot link

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2022 01:37PM by Phil Dally.

Attachments:
Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: May 07, 2022 02:15PM

The subject line states, 13'. The single quotation mark represents FEET, not INCHES which is 13". Probably not intentional but the fist written word is "feet" (which is stated to imply new wheels) but kind of reinforces the single quotation mark representing feet as a measurement.

But, otherwise, yes, nice wheels. I remember a time when the kidney bean style were old school (meaning yesterday's style) in a way that was negative. But, everything goes full circle and now they place a car in its respective time period and as such old school is a positive thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2022 02:16PM by wittsend.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: May 07, 2022 02:24PM

I haven't worn any of my ties for so long they are also back in style. cool smiley

Date: May 07, 2022 03:00PM

wittsend
The subject line states, 13'. The single quotation mark represents FEET, not INCHES which is 13". Probably not intentional but the fist written word is "feet" (which is stated to imply new wheels) but kind of reinforces the single quotation mark representing feet as a measurement.

D'oh! I wonder if we can get that fixed? I thought I'd get inundated with people's preferences and recommendations when it came to tires, but now I know why that hasn't happened! Who cares if I have 13 feet?

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 07, 2022 04:32PM

Phil Dally Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I haven't worn any of my ties for so long they are also back in style. cool smiley

No Phil, WIDE ties are still a thing of the past, just like Disco. grinning smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: May 07, 2022 04:51PM

Hi Eric, I have a suggestion as to what kind of tires you should put on these wheels. ROUND ONES. BTW, I like the ones you already have much more. ( some guys are just never satisfied )

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Posted by: ROD ()
Date: May 07, 2022 08:06PM

Toy PROXES R888R - SIZE: 205/60R13

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Attachments:
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 07, 2022 08:54PM

I was looking at 205/60/13 on Ebay the other day and saw BF Goodrich Radial TA with the white letters and something else in blackwall. I was going for something low on EM Rat Rod sort of a thing but it turns out i didn't have all 4 aluminum slotted wheels.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Re: New 13" Feet (Thanks Tom!) - So, Shoe Recommendations?
Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: May 08, 2022 09:06AM

195X60/14 is one of the most common tire sizes available for a 14" rim. Even though it is smaller diameter than stock, it would seem to be a practical option for a street car with 14" rims.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car
Test Start#2 [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: May 08, 2022 02:10PM

Oopsy, wrong wheel size! I was looking for tires for my 14" wheels that havent been put on yet and was suprized at how many options there are if they are 195/60 14. Then forgot that Eric had 13" wheels.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car
Test Start#2 [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: May 09, 2022 12:16PM

Eric - For regular street use, the Maxxis are probably the best bet. Turn them around for the blackwall look. If performance is an interest, go searching for the 205/60-13s. They are getting harder to find now, and more expensive these days. (But what isn't.) Either will work fine on a 5.5" wide wheel. Do you have a close-up photo of the mounting holes, and/or a shot of the mounting face on the back. Just for interest.

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: May 09, 2022 01:57PM

ROD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Toy PROXES R888R - SIZE: 205/60R13

Its a great tire, for sure....but also a 100 treadwear rating. I've got a set of R888's....they wore out QUICKLY. Granted, they were on an AutoX car, but I got one season (10 events) out of them.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: May 09, 2022 06:03PM

[www.cokertire.com]

Here ya go, correct width and diameter, Revs per mile for an LM, just ad $$$$$$

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: May 09, 2022 09:08PM

Thanks guys.

Apologies for not keeping up. My son was sick today and I'm also way behind on actually organizing my office.

Sorry Seth, I don't have any closer pictures. I took the shot of the four of them as soon as I got them and then put them back in their boxes for when I finally have something on them.

I agree my current wheels are very nice looking. But I've always wanted to find something stock size and the opportunity was too good to pass up with these ones. I'm sort of a sucker for change for change's sake, and I'd like to have these mounted with tires and ready for whenever I feel like just riding around on them instead of my existing ones, most likely when heading to a special car show. The car shows in this area are so innocuous that you can hit three of them when you swing a cat around your head. But there are some fancy ones that are worth the effort.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but the car will be back with the new engine (the block and crank itself being about the only things left of what I gave them) before the end of the month and I've had stars in my eyes waiting for it, since what about November?

Thanks for the tire links. I've also found a low-cost option in some Douglas tires that are believe it or not 13 inches; I might just go with them seeing as these will be driven on infrequently.

I'm having fun. When the car does get back, we can see just how my other feckless project turned out, that of mounting the stock wheel onto a quick release. I have a lot of little projects in relation to this car that make sense only to me. eye rolling smiley

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota

Posted by: tgould ()
Date: May 10, 2022 05:55AM

AS Eric knows, a lot of racing history running these wheels. Including, Pure Stock Eliminator at the 1968 NHRA High Altitude Nationals at Denver Colorado, 1972 NHRA Division 2 Stock Champion, and 19 National and World records from 1972 - 2000. In 2001, I had the current Keizer 3 piece slotted aluminum wheels (7 lbs) made and these were retired.

Tom Gould
Beaufort SC, 29906

1966 Monza Coupe 110 4spd

Date: May 10, 2022 08:49AM

thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.