Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
61 sedan fender mirrors question
Posted by: OldWrenchTurner ()
Date: May 06, 2022 04:27PM

Hey everyone,

Saw this 61' 700 sedan in the video post 2ragtops has here on the forums. What stuck me was I have never seen another 61 with fender mirrors on it other than the one in my old photos (from 1966) I am trying to replicate with my 61 restoration project (mine will be without the door mirror however).

Anyone know what mirrors those are? I need to get a pair for my car. They don't look like the standard side mirrors that you can get for the door. The arm is much more swept back on the door mirrors. These are pretty much straight. Was this package an option at the dealership? Or simply something this owner added himself?

Re: 61 sedan fender mirrors question
Date: May 07, 2022 06:08AM

I like it. Looks kind of datsun. I thought about buying drip channel mirrors but im not sure how theyd work.

1961 Corvair 700 Sedan - 3sp - Gasoline Heat - Lowered a bit - Rust in Progress

Date: May 07, 2022 10:47AM

UnauthorizedServiceTech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like it. Looks kind of datsun. I thought about buying drip channel mirrors but im not sure how theyd work.

That's a cool 700 in your sig! I gotta ask, is that a roof rack I see there?? (or just an optical illusion of something in the background?) Also, drip channel mirrors? How/where would they be mounted exactly?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2022 10:48AM by OldWrenchTurner.

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: May 08, 2022 04:16PM

Just a personal opinion but they look terrible no matter what the circumstance.

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: May 08, 2022 05:08PM

Japan used to require these types of mirrors. You may not like the looks, but functionally they are wonderful. They are in your line of sight and you don't have to refocus your eyes to check the mirrors. Our Toyota (in Japan) had mirrors that were power and slightly convex. Great in Tokyo traffic!

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: May 09, 2022 02:03AM

They look like the 1962 Chevrolet mirrors. Found this picture online, and the description says 1961-1962, but I am not as familiar with 1961 parts as I am with the 1962 parts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Attachments:

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: May 09, 2022 07:57PM

Date: May 10, 2022 07:08AM

It is a roof rack i made out of some cedar boards that my friend had laying around. The brackets also mount to the drip rail. Thanks. Ive yet to use the rack. I was hoping to use it on my drive out to the ranch on Sunday but now it might rain and i dont want to sumit my rust bucket to 3 hours of rain.

1961 Corvair 700 Sedan - 3sp - Gasoline Heat - Lowered a bit - Rust in Progress

Date: May 10, 2022 11:33AM

junkman Wrote:
> They look like the 1962 Chevrolet mirrors. Found this picture online, and the description says 1961-1962, but I am not as familiar with 1961 parts as I am with the 1962 parts.

Those were the 'door' mirrors I mentioned in my original post. They have a much more angled arm to them than the ones in the picture I posted. I'd love to use them since they are original chevy parts (complete with bowtie insignia), but I need mirrors with straight arms. Something like what scottymac posted here:

scottymac Wrote:
>
> Seems early Sixties Brit cars used the wing mirrors, too.
> [vYAAOSwjq9bx0Pw" rel="nofollow">www.ebay.com]
>

Date: May 10, 2022 11:42AM

UnauthorizedServiceTech Wrote:
> It is a roof rack i made out of some cedar boards that my friend had laying around. The brackets also mount to the drip rail. Thanks. Ive yet to use the rack. I was hoping to use it on my drive out to the ranch on Sunday but now it might rain and i dont want to sumit my rust bucket to 3 hours of rain.

Ah! Interesting method of mounting. Certainly beats drilling holes in your roof! The downside is I would imagine the carrying capacity would be pretty limited due to stress on the drip rails. It would be doubly so on my car, as the back part of the drip rail is only being held together by the trim strip and rust - lol.

scottymac Wrote:
> Think this is what U.S.T. had in mind?
> [bMAAMXQvJVRSQFq&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAAA0IzD69mgi4sfmtuCZKNuEZCK7J7R7MPLfGEeY0oWSt2%2Bj%2FgH%2BYeSRdoeLdFY0zdPjOoxtXssBcGTpsn5BoSUSx%2FBd3j8UTrqA%2BPLf6sui7i9rsJYPFoxkTQJYJJC%2BaOAt6IfhGtzqxqKCEpk8YrRoC7aP9Q780ihLmj4B%2BKIwf3lnKzFS7JYqfZgH5GJe2qdIc7KgsaUXPas0W%2BIjQuPu%2BiTBnu5g00O71GkqH%2BvgJqiyNZoxd%2F6gcQ8ezlwe1mSw7fDSaZJtv5B2A9MAaPXBFM%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBMvJTIvZVg" rel="nofollow">www.ebay.com]

Huh. So the 'drip rail' mirror actually hangs off the roof drip rail down into the drivers line of sight. I've seen something like this on trucks but not on a car. Guess I don't know as much as I thought I did!

EDIT: You know I don't think those drip rail mirrors would work on a Corvair. The drip rail is on the roof, not the doors, so you would bash them off every time you opened the door! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2022 11:49AM by OldWrenchTurner.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 10, 2022 06:59PM

OldWrenchTurner Wrote:
> . . . . . . . .
> . . . . . . . . . . .
>
> Huh. So the 'drip rail' mirror actually hangs off the roof drip rail down into the drivers line of sight. I've seen something like this on trucks but not on a car. Guess I don't know as much as I thought I did!
>
> EDIT: You know I don't think those drip rail mirrors would work on a Corvair. The drip rail is on the roof, not the doors, so you would bash them off every time you opened the door! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I don't think those mirrors are normally mounted on the drip-rails.
Every time I have seen them used, they were mounted to the top edge of the door, for the exact reason stated.
The Door Frame WILL hit them if mounted on the drip-rail.
I have one currently on the Vert.
The arm can be adjusted, and that is what I did to it.
I rotated the base Ninety Degree and mounted it to the little wing-window to give me a right hand mirror.
It was really inexpensive and I bought it as a stop-gap measure until I bought a proper Corvair mirror.
But,. . . . . . the best laid plans of Mice and Men.
Someday I'll buy that right-hand mirror. eye rolling smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.