Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Generator malfunction on Rampside
Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: May 05, 2022 06:54PM

Yesterday after a 25 mile trip I was one mile from home when I noticed the temp press light came on. Since it was mostly downhill the rest of the way I turned the ignition off and coasted the rest of the way home. After turning the switch off, the temp light went off but the gen fan light came on with the switch off. After arriving home I got out and noticed there was the sound of a motor running. I opened the lower compartment and saw that the drive belt was off. I deducted that the noise was from the generator running as a motor. I got some pliers and disconnected the battery and the noise stopped. I reconnected the battery and the lights were off and no motor running. This morning I removed the engine cover to find out why the belt was off and discovered that the generator pulley had separated and the outer section was laying on the shroud. I had an extra pulley that appeared to have an additional support on the outer end of the pulley and installed it and the belt and everything operated and checked perfectly. My question is why did the generator turn into a motor and why didn't the gen fan light not come on when this occurred. If the belt had simply broke I assume the same thing would have happened and if not for the temp light the engine would have melted down. I have never seen this happen before. The charging system is working and checking fine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Generator malfunction on Rampside
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 05, 2022 08:34PM

Alex, I'll take this one for $100.

When the generator is "generating" properly, the "cut out" relay in the voltage regulator is pulled in so the ARM and BAT terminals are connected together.

When something like the belt is thrown or the pulley breaks (never seen that one yet grinning smiley) the relay does not always drop out, so battery voltage is applied to the armature winding of the generator, and the field windings, causing it run as a motor!thumbs up

This does not happen with alternators, as they are a different animal in construction.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 05, 2022 09:55PM

Next time just remove the "F" wire from the GEN.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: May 06, 2022 01:56AM

What concerns me is that if this happens again I may not get a GEN Fan light. I know my overheat switch works though. I recently replaced the voltage regulator and it seems to be working normally with a steady 14 volts and no battery drain.

Date: May 06, 2022 01:58AM

I use the spring ring battery cables so it is faster to disconnect the battery.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 06, 2022 08:01PM

What concerns me is that if this happens again I may not get a GEN Fan light.

Yep!

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.