Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Brake Control Arm Bushings
Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: May 04, 2022 04:48AM

Saw this on YouTube today, I realize they’re for a Mustang, but perhaps they’ll make them for our favorite car.

[youtu.be]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brake Control Arm Bushings
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: May 04, 2022 05:08AM

Just by looking they look like they just might bolt on!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: May 04, 2022 08:07AM

I was thinking the same thing, I’m guessing a call to them would tell us the length and diameter of the sleeve. Otherwise the only difference is the Mustang uses two different ones, ours are both the same. If the sleeve dimensions are the same, maybe they’ll supply 4 identical ones for our cars, or make correct ones for us.

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: May 04, 2022 09:56AM

Pretty sure these are sold for early X cars as Heavy Duty.

Marco
A 2nd Gen Monza Wagon, a 2nd Gen GB 8door, a 2nd Gen (61's were 1st Gen) R/s and a 62nd Gen Turbo coupe..

Hanging out with the scorpions, king snakes, road runners, coyotes and quails In the southern desert of the silver state
Mesquite NV 89024

Posted by: jamesolefjensen ()
Date: May 04, 2022 01:26PM

Those Mustang bushings look very similar to the Clark high performance bushings:

[ssl.corvair.com]

Which look incredibly similar to the Nova/Chevy II "heavy duty" bushings:

[gmclassics.com]

I have a set of the Clarks HiPo bushings on my Corsa. The only downside is that the max caster adjustment is limited compared to the stock bushings (the stack up takes more space on the rod). The upside is that they last a lot longer. A stock style set started to split after ~20,000 miles (in which there were several back road adventures).

Date: May 04, 2022 01:35PM

jamesolefjensen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those Mustang bushings look very similar to the Clark high performance bushings:
>
> [ssl.corvair.com]
>
> Which look incredibly similar to the Nova/Chevy II "heavy duty" bushings:
>
> [gmclassics.com]
>
> I have a set of the Clarks HiPo bushings on my Corsa. The only downside is that the max caster adjustment is limited compared to the stock bushings (the stack up takes more space on the rod). The upside is that they last a lot longer. A stock style set started to split after ~20,000 miles (in which there were several back road adventures).

My clarks replacement 61 bushings are splitting almost exactly how the originals i took off were. I need a better option. Id love to pour my own but i dont know enough about the original design in order to redesign it. Maybe i could convert to the 62-on style and make poly bushings like those...

1961 Corvair 700 Sedan - 3sp - Gasoline Heat - Lowered a bit - Rust in Progress

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: May 04, 2022 03:48PM

You can add more positive caster by putting a shim between the rear upper control arm bolt and the spring tower. This moves the upper ball-joint back.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.