Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
65 monza 110 4 sp - rear grinding/clunking
Posted by: andys65 ()
Date: May 03, 2022 07:39PM

Newbie here - just acquired my 65 Monza 110 4 sp recently. There is a clunking or grinding sound coming from the drivetrain. It is especially noticeable during slow speed sharp turns even with engine off. During the clunking sound, rear of car actually moves up and down slightly like there's a square peg in a round hole. When both rears are on jackstands, there is no grinding/scraping sound while spinning wheels that I would expect from a bearing so thinking maybe it's not bearing related. Car runs and shifts fine. Unfortunately, I don't have much history as far as mechanical/maintenance. Thanks for your ideas!! I

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 65 monza 110 4 sp - rear grinding/clunking
Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: May 03, 2022 07:49PM

Differential / transmission full?

Though I think it is too late for that:

Most likely spider gears IMO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2022 07:51PM by RobertC.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 03, 2022 08:26PM

Only happens when turning?
Yeah, I would agree with Robert.
It sounds like your Spider Gears are bad.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: May 03, 2022 08:35PM

There is some noise when going straight, but really noticeable when turning. I am in the Dallas area - anyone know of a good shop or backyard Vair person? Thanks!!

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 03, 2022 09:47PM

Welcome to the CCF! Contact the local Corsa Chapter, North Texas Corvair Association and they'll know who works like that.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: May 03, 2022 11:04PM

Date: May 04, 2022 08:27AM

Thanks.

Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: May 04, 2022 09:22AM

rear axle bearings???

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs
1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1928 Ford Model A 2 door sedan
House Springs, Missouri

Date: May 04, 2022 02:35PM

Bob,
I first thought bearings, but when I put the entire rear on jackstands and spin wheels no typical bad bearing sound. Dumb question - while on jackstands, when I turn a wheel on one side the other side spins the same way - does this mean it has positraction?
Thanks for your help as I am trying to learn about this car and get it on the road and enjoy!!
Andy

Attachments:
Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: May 04, 2022 04:17PM

Sounds like you have posi. and that noise would indicate spider gears as noted above.

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs
1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1928 Ford Model A 2 door sedan
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: May 04, 2022 06:38PM

Welcome!

Looking good!!

Fix it and enjoy!!!

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 04, 2022 07:37PM

Wait a minute ! ! !
POSI ? ! ? ! eye popping smiley
Is it possible THAT is what he is hearing when turning tight corners?

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: May 05, 2022 09:55AM

American Mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wait a minute ! ! !
> POSI ? ! ? ! eye popping smiley
> Is it possible THAT is what he is hearing when turning tight corners?

Corvettes will do that but the Corvair posi unit typically isn't strong enough to cause what he's describing...unless maybe the plates are damaged and binding?

It drives fine and make no noise going straight?

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8 door Greenbrier, +.060, stroked 1/4", 186 ci.140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: 68Hollywood ()
Date: May 06, 2022 12:02PM

Andys56,

We Meet this Saturday(1st Sat of every month at 2:00pm). This weeks meeting is at 906 Senter RD in Irving.
We enjoy having guests at the meeting. I hope to see you there.

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: May 06, 2022 12:37PM

Could be POSI or could just be fragged spider gears.
If the friction modifier is not added to the diff fluid, it may cause chatter when turning on a POSI. But if its makeing noise while going in a straight line, such that there is no difference in wheel speed from left to right, posi is not involved. However, if one you are dealing with two different tires sizes, the there would be an issue and it is surely would be exacerbated.

Check fluid lever to make sure its not low. Should be about an inch below the fill plug on the side of the diff. Look for big red tag on transaxle (of course, this may have been removed or even added) if you suspect it is an original posi. Diff case will have a letter code indicating if it was originally a Posi. If car originally left the factory with a Posi, look for stickers in the engine bay that warns that it is so equipped. Again, the car is almost 60 years old and a lot of things may have been added, removed or changed in all those years.

Gear oil has a unique smell. Gear oil with friction modifier has an even MORE unique smell (Blech!)

With the car up on jack stands, grab the rear wheel at 12 o clock and at 6 O clock and rock in and out. If there is more that 1/4 of movement, more lkely wheel bearing.

Is there any excessive wear on the inner side of the tire tread on either side?
what is condition of the busshings on the strut rods and stabilizer rods?

Grab a half shaft and check to see if perhapse u-joints may be failing. And rust powder at the u joint bearing trunions?

Marco
A 2nd Gen Monza Wagon, a 2nd Gen GB 8door, a 2nd Gen (61's were 1st Gen) R/s and a 62nd Gen Turbo coupe..

Hanging out with the scorpions, king snakes, road runners, coyotes and quails In the southern desert of the silver state
Mesquite NV 89024

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: May 07, 2022 08:59AM

If you grab the tire at 6 and 12 and then rock it, you will get all of the slack from the diff. I would do the 3 and 9 position.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: May 07, 2022 09:53AM

Andy you can guess all day long but all you can do is put the car in the air and remove the half shafts from the outer end and remove the brake drums then you can easily rotate each wheel bearing. If both are smooth then pull the powertrain and look into the diff.
Good luck

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Date: May 07, 2022 08:09PM

Thanks so much for all your help and suggestions! When I find out what the gremlin is I'll be sure and post with solutions in case someone else encounters the same issues.
Andy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.