Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Harmonic pulley install without air gun or J-tool
Posted by: Saxon ()
Date: May 03, 2022 09:56AM

After some consideration on how I should install my harmonic balancer, I decided to employ the toaster oven.

Warmed the harmonic pulley to 160 to 180 degrees for about 15 minutes, no seasoning.

Made sure I could handle the metal with nitrile gloves or bare hands (about as hot as if left on the dashboard inside a car).

Coated the inside & outside of the pulley hole with motor oil.

Cleaned threads inside crank hole and on bolt. Applied some anti-seize to bolt threads.

Pressed pulley on by hand, followed with taps of weighted rubber mallet and wood block. It went it 1/4".

Used the OEM bolt with thin washer (about 1/16") to tighten with hand ratchet wrench until I met good resistance.

Removed bolt and replaced thin washer with the much thicker OEM washer.

Installed wire wood toothbrush into pulley slot as a jam to prevent crank from turning.

Continued to hand ratchet until I could not.

Transitioned to Torque wrench. I went with 45 foot lbs since I used anti-seize. 40-50 ft lbs specified.

Photo below as seen from Engine resting on Bell housing, which is on top of a Lacki-Finch made cart.

Chuckles... As seen, I forgot to install the skid plate and engine bracket plate to the rear housing.

Thanks to the Tech Guides (I was unable to find 1/2" x 20 threaded rod stock to fashion a J-type tool)

THanks to Dave Motohead's video. The airgun was on standby!

Northern CA
66 Monza Coupe 4-spd 140

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2022 10:04AM by Saxon.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Harmonic pulley install without air gun or J-tool
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 03, 2022 10:13AM

Very good.

I just use a longer 1/2-20 bolt to get it going. All thread sounds good too.

I once had one that seemed to fit, torqued to specs, then later the brass distributor drive gear slid back on the crank enough to slip teeth. Yep, the balancer was not seated!angry smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: May 03, 2022 01:19PM

I use a battery powered 1/2" impact wrench. You can tell when to stop when the sound changes. Just don't keep going. The forward edge of the pulley/balancer should be about 3/8" away from the timing mark.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 06, 2022 04:59AM

I'm a bit of a nervous nellie and afraid of messing up the threads in the crankshaft so I wouldn't use an air tool myself. I like getting the feel of the threads.
I prefer to use a Grade 5 bolt instead of Grade 8. My feeling is if push comes to shove I would rather have the bolt threads fail than the crankshaft threads. Double that feeling if it ever comes down to having to drill out a broken bolt.
I had one here a few years ago where someone had broken off the bolt with a breaker bar thinking tighter is better. They had been driving it around with no bolt, just the press fit. I was relieved to get the remains out going round and round with a punch on a burr.
I use blue Loctite rather than anti-seize. I like being able to turn the engine counter-clockwise without the bolt coming loose. I've never had trouble getting it loose when I wanted to.
I like to tighten them with the top cover off using an oak 1 x 3 between a rod throw and the crankcase. Failing that I use a screwdriver jammed in the HB slot sort of like the wood in the picture above.
Like Frank, I start them in with a 1 3/4" bolt then switch to the forever 1 1/2". I just don't want to take a chance at ruining the crankshaft threads by having just a few threads engaged.
I use sleeve retainer Loctite on the press fit thinking that the press fit may not be as tight as it used to be. I'm still sending HBs to Dale for rebuilding, about the same price as new Chinese.
Like Forrest Gump, that's all I have to say about that.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: May 06, 2022 06:49AM

vairmech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use a battery powered 1/2" impact wrench. You can tell when to stop when the sound changes. Just don't keep going. The forward edge of the pulley/balancer should be about 3/8" away from the timing mark.
>
>

I can repair that rear motor mount for you for $75 plus shipping and a repairable core. Let me know.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio 45840

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 06, 2022 07:27AM

I wouldn't put a harmonic balancer in an oven. That heat will age the rubber somewhat. JMO

To install balancer, use light coat oil on crankshaft. Then install balancer with a longer bolt & OEM washer that will grip 4 threads at least. Use 3/4" hand wrench to bring balancer in until bolt stops. You could bring balancer in about 3/4s of the way then swap bolts. Remove that long bolt and install OEM bolt and torque it properly.

To remove the balancer, I use Blue Chip Tool to mount to balancer after OEM bolt & washer is removed. Hand wrench (same 3/4" wrench) tool bolt to remove balancer. Tool can be used with engine in car/FC.

Posted by: Saxon ()
Date: May 06, 2022 02:36PM

Rubber?, I did not see any rubber on my harmonic balancer.

Can you tell me more.

Northern CA
66 Monza Coupe 4-spd 140

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 06, 2022 03:21PM

Look at your photo. That ridge part way in from the outside diameter is the rubber. It needs good rubber to eliminate harmonics in the crankshaft. When the rubber deteriotes and numerous years or chemicals being poured on it, outer ring will come loose and cut hole in oil filter. Who knows what else could happen if a 90 degree oil filter adapter is used. Ring come off and bust up things.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 06, 2022 07:20PM

I am a satisfied Blue Chip Harmonic Balancer tool user also!

I've been asked "how do you torque the crankshaft bolt with the engine still in the car?". 3/4" combination wrench, box end on bolt, hit open end with 8 ounce hammer a few licks. You can tell when the bolt stops moving. You can always do it again the next day to see if it loosened. Oh, and put a short screwdriver through a slot to hold it, making sure it doesn't apply force to a bad spot...winking smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: jwdeitcher ()
Date: May 08, 2022 06:28AM

I will third the tool Russ at Blue Chip makes.All of his tools are very high quality.

Blue Chip Tools

1964 Monza Convertible
1965 Monza basketcase

San Francisco Bay Area

SFBA CORSA
www.sfbacorsa.org
Instagram: @sfba_corsa_corvair
Facebook: Corvair Community of Northern California

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.