Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Belt issues
Posted by: DaveO90s4 ()
Date: May 06, 2022 04:50AM

OK, with that information I think you should be able to identify the most likely cause of your ongoing problem - from all the info above. .

I’d be interested in reading your opinion on where you think your problem lies

DaveO

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CREATIONBLUE ()
Date: May 06, 2022 05:41AM

Thanks for the great information. Would really like to see your Porsche btw!

Found this picture which by chance shows the part number of the belt I previously ran without issue. I think I should find another and see how I get on.

Edit: I actually have one of these, googling the part number it came from Clarks and I received one with my recent order. Guess I will put it on and see how I get on.

Thanks for all the replies. What a fantastic place smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2022 05:45AM by CREATIONBLUE.

Date: May 07, 2022 02:56PM

I hope your proposed approach works for you. The C5790 did not work for me. I ordered the C5790 from Clarks, having read in their catalogue that it is a fan belt. Subsequently I was advised on this forum that it is an ac belt.

But I guess if it works for you that’s all that matters.

I think if it does not work properly then you should turn your attantion to getting a different and correct alternator pulley (‘64 version?) and running the correct 3V560 fan belt.

Please let us know how tou get on with the C5790.

Regards

DaveO

Date: June 04, 2022 08:17AM

Ok so not touched the engine since the last post, and with the added advantage of being at home rather than by the side of the road with a hot engine I took the tinware off and inspected the rotating parts. The fan and the idle pulley ran smooth but as soon as I turned the alternator it felt like it was catching. So problem identified! I took the alt off to inspect and it suddenly ran smoothly. Now it’s only around 5 years old and was a new one from Clark’s at the time. I put everything back together along with a new C5790 belt and having just got back from a drive all is well again.

I’m really not sure why the alt was not spinning well, there is nothing for it to catch on, the bearing was smooth and absolutely no movement in the shaft when out of the engine. At least if I shred a belt again I know where to look!

Thanks for the advise

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: June 04, 2022 08:59AM

CREATIONBLUE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok so not touched the engine since the last post, and with the added advantage of being at home rather than by the side of the road with a hot engine I took the tinware off and inspected the rotating parts. The fan and the idle pulley ran smooth but as soon as I turned the alternator it felt like it was catching. So problem identified! I took the alt off to inspect and it suddenly ran smoothly. Now it’s only around 5 years old and was a new one from Clark’s at the time. I put everything back together along with a new C5790 belt and having just got back from a drive all is well again.
>
> I’m really not sure why the alt was not spinning well, there is nothing for it to catch on, the bearing was smooth and absolutely no movement in the shaft when out of the engine. At least if I shred a belt again I know where to look!
>
> Thanks for the advise

Theres something going wrong with your alternator... maybe it is something as simple as junk in the bearings but could be something more complicated like flat spots on the bearings themselves. Under no circumstances should a rotating device supported by bearings should it ever suddenly lock up or suddenly not rotate freely and then free itself. If you got it to work right by rotating it some more by hand, chances are that it will lock up/not rotate smoothly again. I think you would do well to get another re-built alternator to put on before something bad happens again with the one you have... age of the alternator is not a good indicator as to how much "life" is left on it. The only thing that matters is wether it works as it should, and if it starts acting up, intermittently or otherwise, it is telling you it is done!

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car
Test Start#2 [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: June 04, 2022 12:48PM

It might not be bearings. It might be possible that a piece of debris got between the rotor and the stator. As the parts were juggled around the debris might have dislodged and fallen out (but could still be in the housing). It would seem worthwhile to consider opening the alternator especially if it occurs again.

My wife's car periodically had a horrendous brake squeak. A cursory look showed the pads were thick and the rotor appeared fine. When it continued to occur I investigated deeper and found a 3/16" twig an inch long that was wedged between the rotor and the shielding plate and was transmitting vibrations to the plate when the brakes were applied. Sometimes little bits of debris cause big problems.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***'61 Lakewood, a "Freebie" in hibernation for 27 years - In the process of applying CPR.***

Attachments:
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: June 04, 2022 06:21PM

Dave
I ordered the C5790 from Clarks, having read in their catalogue that it is a fan belt. Subsequently I was advised on this forum that it is an ac belt.

C5790 is a Corvair fan belt. It is 56 inches long, just like the 3V560, and the same width. It was made wrapped as the original GM belts were. I've used them for years.thumbs up

The Corvair AC belts are shorter. Not saying it could not be used for an AC compressor on some other application.winking smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: June 05, 2022 08:48AM

Not only is the C5790 the right belt, it's not only "similar" to the 3V560, it actually IS a 3V560!

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:
Date: June 06, 2022 03:27AM

Good to know the C5790 is the correct belt after all. Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding gents.

DaveO

Date: June 06, 2022 06:24AM

Thanks again for all the input. I really am at a loss as to why the alternator was catching as it span whilst bolted to the engine but ran smoothly after. I mean I have worked on engines and cars all my life as a hobby so know that something must have caused it to bind and that in turn caused my fan belt issues for sure. But, why is a mystery. Of course if there is an issue with the alternator then the problem will arise again at some point.

I will keep this updated as and when. Until then happy motoring thumbs up

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: June 06, 2022 10:31AM

6203 bearing was worn, and caught with the side loading of the belt?confused smiley
Replace bearing, retest.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: June 18, 2022 09:58AM

So I inquired about a new alt from Clarks. With the shipping and duty it would have come in around £400 for a Delco Remy Si-10!!! They never had stock so I bought a aftermarket alternator with a generic fitting from here in the UK which looked very similar with a view to using the fixing plate from mine as well as swapping over the fan, pulley & disc guide. So after some research I went for it. And here are the results. It was actually identical to the one I was going to import (apart from the mounting plate). Hopefully my issues with charging and belt flipping are behind me

Question, what does turn on speed mean?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2022 10:01AM by CREATIONBLUE.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 18, 2022 09:13PM

Turn on speed should mean that it won't start charging until it reaches that speed.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 136 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: June 19, 2022 12:09PM

Turn on speed is often specified for a 1-Wire alternator and it's alternator RPM not engine RPM because of the difference in pulley size. Two to one perhaps?

I'm hoping you did not fit a 1-wire because that design lacks the capacity to operate the GEN warning light which on a Corvair doubles as the FAN warning light.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: June 19, 2022 12:18PM

Craig, his engine is in a VW van, so I am not sure he is using the same setup of idiot lights.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: June 19, 2022 01:47PM

It’s ok, it’s a two wire system, ran it like this from day one, it did have an external regulator when I bought the engine but changed the alternator and converted the wiring. This alternator is identical to the one I replaced that came from Clarks

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.