Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
SOLD!! - Complete turbo DCOE 45 kit
Posted by: AlecCarlson ()
Date: May 01, 2022 06:43AM

Here’s the story: Two and a half years ago I got it in my head that I wanted more boost and power from my ’66 turbo. I decided to replace my stock Carter carb with a Weber DCOE 45. I bought parts for the project over the years but I was waiting for my Nashfan to be delivered before I started the carb conversion. My fan arrived in December.

While I was waiting, I bought a new Weber DCOE 45 and sent it to American Pi so Ray Sedman could convert it into a Progressive carb. Ray worked his magic and set the carb up with a default configuration for a Corvair turbo engine. I got a wastegate and carb linkage (also from Ray), and a carb adaptor and K&N air filter from Clark’s.

It’s now April 2022 and my interest in this project has evaporated. My Corsa is a driver, not a racer. My newly rebuilt engine runs fine with the Carter and I really don’t need the extra power. I don’t need low ET’s in the ¼ mile. I had 2 problems with the DCOE swap: (1) I could not get my engine to idle with the DCOE installed. Other Corvair owners with DCOE’s have had the same problem and it took some carb tuning to get it to run smoothly. The weber needs to be tuned for the engine it’s going to run on. At this point I just want to get my car back on the road. I’m not interested in spending the time to make the DCOE work. (2) Even if I had the weber running well, I still needed to modify the exhaust for the wastegate. I could do that but now I just don’t feel like spending the effort.
So, I’ve decided to sell all of the parts you would need to add a DCOE 45 to your turbo engine. Hence the “Corvair turbo DCOE 45 Kit”. Here are the specs for the kit and what I paid for it (in red). This is what you’ll get:

(1) a New Weber DCOE 45 - $431.77
The carb is setup with an AN-4 banjo fuel connector for a braided fuel line. The banjo connector connects to an AN-4 right angle connector with the braided line. The line wraps around on top of the carb 180* and connects to an AN-4 right angle connector out of the fuel filter (or in my case, a Holley pressure regulator).

(2) Ray Sedman’s Weber DCOE Progressive Two Barrel Conversion – $350
DCOE Jetting from Ray:
...............Pri.......Sec.
Choke:.....36.......36
Mains:.....180......185
A/C:.......190......190
E-Tubes:.F16......F16
Idle:........55 F9..55 F9

(3) A Wastegate – a TiAL MV-S 38mm, V-Band External Wastegate (new in the box), red color and loaded with Black Spring, 8.7 psi. Other springs are in the box for other boost pressures – $313

(4) Clark’s Weber carb adaptor C5124 – $174.30

(5) Clark’s K&N Weber turbo air cleaner C5620 – $117.25

(6) American Pi’s Weber DCOE Linkage Kit - $76

My total cost - $1386.32

Your cost for the kit $950.00 + shipping. You save $436.32

Shipping is from 30533.

PM me if you’re interested.

Here are some pictures:

Alec
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Corsa Convertible Turbo 4-Speed
Restoration "In Progress"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2022 08:34AM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: F/S - Complete turbo DCOE 45 kit
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: May 01, 2022 07:03AM

This is a steal...Good Guy price.

I already own all or I would buy!!

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: May 01, 2022 02:20PM

If you still have it in a month or so I’ll take it . I live in Cumming so I can pick it up.

1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1998 Honda Prelude Dirt track car
1967 Crown V8 under construction
Mike Levine
Cumming Georgia
North of Atlanta

Date: May 01, 2022 05:56PM

Mike,

Cumming huh ?? I could deliver it there - I'm down in Cumming a lot. Unless, of course, you want to come north to Dahlonega and spend a few hours up here...

Alec
Dahlonega, GA

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: May 02, 2022 04:10AM

Actually my Cylinder head guy is in Dahlonega and I need to go see him

1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1998 Honda Prelude Dirt track car
1967 Crown V8 under construction
Mike Levine
Cumming Georgia
North of Atlanta

Posted by: 65180 ()
Date: May 02, 2022 07:32AM

Your problem with the idle is the size of your primary choke. A 36 is too big for the application. Instead, run a 32 choke, drop your main jet to a 165 and F11 emulsion tube. I have the same setup on my turbo except for an E flow compressor and before I put in a bigger cam, it would idle all day long at 850 RPM. It now idles at 1000. Ignition wise, a Pertronix one or two and a CB Performance Black Box. I don't regret ever installing this set up and my car runs so much better than it did with the YH. You will regret selling it, because all you need are a few more pieces to the puzzle to change your opinion on the setup you have.

Had Chevy built the turbo cars with the mods that have been done to some of our cars, the Mustang would have failed!

Mike Lake
Tucson, Az
65 Corsa 180
65 Corsa 140 sold
66 Monza PG
66 Monza 4sp sold
61 Lakewood sold
61 La[corvaircenter.com]

Date: May 03, 2022 03:21AM

Would that be Kent Ford ?

v8vair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually my Cylinder head guy is in Dahlonega and I need to go see him

Alec
Dahlonega, GA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.