Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT: Trailer cameras
Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: April 26, 2022 06:02PM

Does anyone have enough experience with a good camera that can be mounted on an enclosed car hauler, with a screen that can be inside the towing vehicle. I've had bad luck finding good trailer mirrors that can fit a 1995 C2500 I use for towing. I'd like to be a good citizen on the road while I'm towing the trailer/car around this summer. Apparently the wireless bluetooth cameras are pretty unreliable nearly as I can discern. So a hard-wired camera with a quick disconnect would be entirely acceptable. Recommendations welcome.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Very near concours perfect.

File Name File Size Date Added Delete
Corsasmall.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: Trailer cameras
Posted by: cooterr ()
Date: April 26, 2022 06:44PM

I assume you will be going with a wireless camera for the rear of the trailer. I would highly recommend spending a little more and get a digital camera vs an analog. the digital is much more resistant to outside electrical noise from ignition sources, BETTER PICTURE. You can get cameras that will interface with your smartphone, tablet or video display unit.

Tom Miller
Circle City Corvairs
Corsa

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: April 26, 2022 07:08PM

Have you looked at Cipa or Longveiew slip-on tow mirrors. I have the Cipa mirrors that fit my 2018 Silverado. They work fine for towing and doesn't affect operation of OEM mirror. Much cheaper than replacing OEM mirrors with OEM tow mirrors.

I looked at camera system for my RV. If I was going with cameras, I would not use wireless. With cable connection, better quality display and less chance of signal loss due to all the metal between the camera and display screen/controller. Get a 7" screen minimum. Ensure you can add up to 4 cameras.

Posted by: jimD ()
Date: April 26, 2022 08:01PM

Friend just installed an AMTIFO A9 wireless on his motor home and 30' enclosed. Two cameras and 7" screen, $275. swears by it. Was able to drive the RV 200 feet away from the trailer and it still transmitted. I'm thinking of getting it myself.

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: April 27, 2022 01:10PM

I think I'll go hard-wired with a quick disconnect. Bluetooth can be too flakey.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Very near concours perfect.

File Name File Size Date Added Delete
Corsasmall.jpg

Posted by: cschneider53 ()
Date: April 27, 2022 02:10PM

About two years ago I got something like seven of them on Amazon to try. They all were terrible when you started driving. The latency and dropouts made them pretty much unusable. I agree that hardwired is probably best.

Posted by: vairsUPnorth ()
Date: April 30, 2022 11:21AM

If you would want to go with the reliability of mirrors you might want to look into these which are universal fit for older trucks:

[www.velvac.com]

They are a bit more pricey than before but you can really see with this setup. I put them on my 01 Dodge in 2001 to have enough view for backing while plowing snow. You can flip the heads around wider if needed but I have never had to.

Dale Dewald
President - Corvanatics
Hancock, MI

Attachments:
Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: April 30, 2022 03:05PM

I would really like a trailer camera that has tpms built in. I think I’m a little ahead of the game.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2022 03:07PM by VairKing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.