Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Plug bypass valve for remote oil filter?
Posted by: KenHenry ()
Date: April 26, 2022 08:00AM

I'm setting up the engine in my 65 car to use a remote oil filter with a short run of 8AN hose. Stock filters keep leaking from the lip and it appears I have a chipped edge on the mounting surface that is causing it. I will cut off the old oil filter mount and tap the holes for 1/4 npt push on barb fittings. The unit I have uses readily available Ford type filters, which I understand have a built in bypass valve. Should I block the factory bypass valve closed that sits up in the alternator adapter, and what is the best way to accomplish this. I seem to recall something about using a nickel to block it... I there a good strategy for swaging it in there if blocking is needed? I suppose it could also be tapped and plugged. Thanks for input! Ken

Ken Henry, Rochester, NY USA
1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Plug bypass valve for remote oil filter?
Posted by: pvholgado ()
Date: April 26, 2022 08:45AM

Ken, I have an extra oil filter adapter you can have if that's the way you want to go-- your call---Phil

"A sign of great intelligence is being able to say 'I don't know'"
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe
Located 25 miles East of Rochester, NY

Date: April 26, 2022 09:04AM

Thanks Phil, I have an extra as well but decided to go with the remote mount so I can also easily add oil temp and pressure senders... Thanks! Ken

1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: May 01, 2022 11:00PM

The correct size flat freeze plug will also work. Usually three "stakes" will retain it. If it fits tightly into the same shelf as the original valve, you won't need any sealer.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site: [www.perfvair.com]

Located in lovely San Jose, California

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: May 02, 2022 05:34AM

Yes, and you can tap and use a 1/4 NPT pipe plug [ allen socket type ].
Since you are asking about the oil filer adapter and not the rear housing.

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: DaveO90s4 ()
Date: May 05, 2022 02:51PM

Hi Ken,

I pondered the same thing when setting up my engine for remote oil filter (retaining OEM 12 plate cooler).

My investigations into remote oil filters was that they either have internally a pressure by-pass system or they do not.

So, if you block off the bypass in the corvair housing, you would need to use a filter of the type that DOES have an internal pressure by-pass system.

In the end I chose NOT to block off my OEM by-pass system in the engine 'housing'. My logic was that since GM designed it like that, then no harm leaving it like that. So much / some of my oil will bypass the filter under certain conditions. AND I found from oil filter investigation, that those same conditions were replicated internally in particular oil filters. So I am using a filter with the same internal by-pass criteria as the OEM system.

By doing this it is my view that:
1. I have not had to do anything / risk any stuff up, with the OEM bypass system (I think I did put a new spring and ball into it - a while ago now so not 100% sure on this).
2. I can run any filter I want, with our without bypass system (since I have retained the OEM by pass system).
3. I do in fact run a filter with the same bypass criteria as the OEM system - if the OEM system is bypassing then the internal filter will not trigger its bypass, if the OEM bypass fails to bypass as it should, then the internal bypass in the filter will attend to that.

In essence, I see no problem with having two by-pass systems, one in the housing, the other in the filter.

Seems to work! :-) :-)

Cheers

DaveO

Date: May 05, 2022 04:07PM

Thanks! As it turns out I cracked the housing while trying to tap it for 1/4 npt. There is not a lot of material there… So I switched to a spare alternator adapter and finally seem to have the leak stopped with the stock filter. Ken

1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Posted by: Early Guy ()
Date: May 09, 2022 06:29PM

I recently modified an oil filter casting for a friend who wanted a remote filter. I found the oil passages in the stock casting are a bit too large to correctly tap for a 1/4 pipe thread. the passages are 29/64ths the exact size for a 1/2-20 machine thread. I tapped them 1/2-20 and made 2 brass adapters to go to 1/4 pipe. A lot of work but I felt it necessary to make a leak proof seal.

Ray Johnson Villa Park IL 63 Spyder Conv. 140 EFI

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: May 10, 2022 06:31AM

In the race car there is no bypass anywhere,warming up before racing is critical imho. with a stock pump and stock spring I don’t see the oil pressure ever getting so high it would need to bypass. Maybe with 50 weight motor oil and a cold day . Then again a cheap filter and never changing the oil is why GM had to use a bypass smiling smiley
GM engineers knew what they were doing !!

1965 Crown V8 Racer
1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1979 Mazda RX7

Mike Levine

Date: May 10, 2022 08:45AM

Hmm, I believe the hole size for 1/4 npt is 7/16 = 28/64. It seemed like it was going to work until I overnighted the tap…

1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Posted by: nirvairna ()
Date: May 10, 2022 09:48AM

KenHenry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmm, I believe the hole size for 1/4 npt is 7/16 = 28/64. It seemed like it was going to work until I overnighted the tap…

a good way to prevent what happened is to use a 1/4 npt pipe tap reamer before using the pipe tap. it will cut a tapered hole for the tap and not over stress the piece

Posted by: Early Guy ()
Date: May 11, 2022 06:56PM

The problem is the 29/64 hole is larger than the 7/16 used for 1/4 pipe. So the 1/4 pipe tap would go to deep making it unlikely you would get a good seal.

Ray Johnson Villa Park IL 63 Spyder Conv. 140 EFI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.