Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
EM Aluminum Slotted Wheel Wanted
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: April 11, 2022 07:06AM

I've got a 64 coupe Rat Rod project in mind. I was thinking about using some aluminum slotted wheels I have with 205/60/R13 tires in a how low can you go fashion but discovered the 4 I have are not all the same.

Does anyone have one or two 5 1/2 or 6" wide; 4 x 4.5 aluminum slotted wheels around? I will not use Uni-lugs and prefer the type where the lug nut shoulder goes through the wheel rather than beveled that sits on top. We can talk about size and backspacing depending on if you have 1 or 2 wheels. I would measure backspacing by laying a straightedge across the wheel and measuring down to where it rests against the drum.

I'm not looking to spend much, I'm just trying to use stuff laying around. If you've only got 1 or 2 and you're not going to use them anyway...

If this doesn't pan out I'll probably use blue painted steel wheels to bring the interior color outside and small poverty wheel covers. I've got more 61 wheel covers than 61 wheels however.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EM Aluminum Slotted Wheel Wanted
Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: April 11, 2022 09:34AM

If you can't find 1 or 2, I have a set of 4 slotted 13" aluminum mags, but they are 5 lug. The lug shoulder does goes all the way through and the lugs are all fairly new and nice looking.

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Attachments:
Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: April 11, 2022 09:45AM

I have a set of 13’s aluminum slotted wheels. They are white. Might be a bit to ship….. but there would like to find a good home.

Date: May 08, 2022 09:51PM

PM received from someone with 2. Hope it works out
I'm not so keen on them that I want to buy a set of 4. Trying to use what I've got. White wouldn't be the thing for this go round.
I've got a set of 4 5 bolt aluminum slots if someone is interested. Michelin X tires even... They're probably 13 x 5.5.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: February 05, 2023 09:27AM

I thought I'd give this a bump. Now that I've got 4 185/70/13 blackwall tires coming from Walmart for $28 each it would be nice to put them on aluminum slotted wheels.
I have 4 already but one is an unsuitable backspace so I really should scrap it.
I have a pair of one backspace and another of a slightly different backspace. The numbers are out in the garage but I can find them if it will help.
So if you have one or two 4 bolt on 4.5 center wheels you don't know what to do with let me know the width and backspacing.
5.5 or 6" width are appropriate.
So we're on the same page I measure backspacing with the back of the wheel laying on the floor and measuring from the floor to the mounting flange.
I can't use Uni-Lug wheels.

I have a Rat Rod EM coupe project brewing. I'm building a 102 sort of engine revolving around a good deal on a crankshaft and bearings. I took apart a 60 engine for full fin cylinders and got a good deal on .060 pistons here.
I've got a 62 and a 63 turbo cam to have a look at but would also be open to purchasing an Early performance cam someone has laying around. I've got some LM cams but using one of those would be outside of the scrounging about spirit of this project. It would be nice to use a wide lobe cam since how many people are building EM performance engines.

I was thinking about 205 60s for a how low can you go look but I'd probably have to spend good money for those.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2023 09:29AM by JimBrandberg.

Date: February 13, 2023 08:26AM

I hit the dreaded Page 2 so giving myself a bump.
Still looking for 1 or 2 EM aluminum slot wheels so I can make a set even if they're 2 similar pairs.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: February 13, 2023 11:30AM

Like these ?

1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1998 Honda Prelude Dirt track car
1967 Crown V8 under construction
Mike Levine
Cumming Georgia
North of Atlanta

Attachments:
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 13, 2023 10:16PM

I've got a mis-matched set of 4. Maybe we can trade if they match.
I'll try to remember to look tomorrow.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 145 Corvairs and counting...

Date: February 14, 2023 08:22AM

If you've got 2 pairs that make up a set you probably want to use them for something yourself. One of my 4 does not have a suitable backset and I should just scrap it or put it on Craigslist for little or nothing so some non-Corvair person can maybe use it.
I was hoping to find someone with 1 or 2 laying about that they will never have a use for.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: March 21, 2023 07:07AM

Still looking for 1 or 2 aluminum slot wheels so I can make a set.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: persh ()
Date: March 21, 2023 02:19PM

I've got a set of 4 slotted wheels, 6" wide. I'd have to measure the off-set. I know the won't work and a 4-door or station wagon because the the rear wheel opening configuration but will work fine on a coupe.

Van Pershing
Tucson AZ

Date: March 22, 2023 07:31AM

I would just as soon see anyone with a set or 2 pairs keep them and use them. I'm trying to fill out a set using 2 or 3 I've already got.

The spirit of the car is to use things gathering dust. It started with an abandoned EM crankshaft at Crankshaft Supply for $75 with bearings and continued with .060 EM pistons I got here and 60 cylinders I had under the bench.
I'd still be interested in a EM performance camshaft that someone probably won't use, although I do have 2 EM turbo cams, one probably a 62 and one probably a 63. I know a narrow lobe cam will work but it's not what I have in mind.
I've got a 2-tube 2-barrel manifold around here somewhere and I need to figure out what carburetor fits.

If I can complete a set of wheels I'll probably use the $28 185/70/R13s from Walmart.com I got from a tip here recently. I had considered 205/60/R13s for how low can you go motif.

I don't have 4 wheels because my buddy's grandson (CJ) was showing off how well his 62 handled and ran into a curb. You know sometimes you just need to go there and then back off a tenth.

The pressure for getting it done for '64 and older Back To The 50s event has been relieved this year by CORSA Convention at the same time. Maybe by Frankensteiners Ball in October...

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: March 22, 2023 07:43AM

PM sent Re Camshaft

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.