Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
For Sale: Forged EM Pistons
Posted by: Edwin Buiter ()
Date: March 29, 2022 05:41PM

For sale is a set of forged pistons for early model Corvair engines. These came in a box with my car and I planned to use them in my LM build but they will not work, being the EM design. To the best of my knowledge, these are genuine forged EM pistons. The marked number L2156 indicates an EM piston, and all visual inspections point towards these pistons being forged( no casting marks, machining dimple on face, flat sides) I have searched multiple parts books and found nothing regarding who manufactured these pistons. Pistons are standard size and come with wristpins. $550 + shipping or local pickup in McPherson KS.

Link to full resolution pictures on google photos: [photos.app.goo.gl]

Re: For Sale: Forged EM Pistons
Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: March 30, 2022 02:41AM

PM sent

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Date: May 09, 2022 08:45AM

still available, bump

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: May 09, 2022 09:51AM

A lot of really nice pics....except what I really want to see - a close-up of the skirts.

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8 door Greenbrier, +.060, stroked 1/4", 186 ci.140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Date: May 10, 2022 09:27PM

Brizo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A lot of really nice pics....except what I really want to see - a close-up of the skirts.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 11, 2022 05:54AM

Do we know for sure that L2156 is a EM Corvair piston part number? I would think they're TRWs.
I suppose really nice STD cylinders could be honed a touch for additional forged clearance or 60 full fins could be bored for STD 61-63.
I'm intrigued but $92 each is a healthy ante. I suppose EM forged pistons are rare and a good choice for EM turbo.
I've already got .030 and .060 cast pistons for 2 sets of 60 cylinders. Timing is everything as I asked here to acquire those pistons. IDK how many EM engines my market will bear, although I'm thinking 102 for those two engines and probably have what I need to put together a 150.
Just sort of thinking out loud here.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: jazzworkerbee ()
Date: May 11, 2022 06:32AM

Rare as hen’s teeth! I have had a pair of TRW, EM, STD forged pistons for a couple of years and couldn’t complete the set. I hope they find a good home! Yup

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: May 11, 2022 06:46AM

What’s the matter with the camera that these pics were taken with? A couple of the pictures have the pistons completely distorted. Had no idea early forged were hard to find.

Date: May 11, 2022 07:53AM

zarfnober Wrote:
> What’s the matter with the camera that these pics were taken with? A couple of the pictures have the pistons completely distorted. Had no idea early forged were hard to find.

The images may have been distorted when I resized them so they wouldn't fill up the entire screen. I can provide a link to the full size photos.
[photos.app.goo.gl]

Date: May 11, 2022 08:00AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
> Do we know for sure that L2156 is a EM Corvair piston part number? I would think they're TRWs.
> I suppose really nice STD cylinders could be honed a touch for additional forged clearance or 60 full fins could be bored for STD 61-63.
> I'm intrigued but $92 each is a healthy ante. I suppose EM forged pistons are rare and a good choice for EM turbo.
> I've already got .030 and .060 cast pistons for 2 sets of 60 cylinders. Timing is everything as I asked here to acquire those pistons. IDK how many EM engines my market will bear, although I'm thinking 102 for those two engines and probably have what I need to put together a 150.
> Just sort of thinking out loud here.

I've done quite a bit of research to determine what these pistons are. From what I've found, none of the old TRW books reference the L2156 piston, and the only place I found 2156 was an egge cast EM piston number. These are very clearly not egge cast pistons. This is why I believe that 2156 is the EM part number. I'm assuming TRW or some other manufacture made only a small run of EM forged pistons and it never made it into the parts books, and used the standard part number 2156. If anyone else has ever had a set of EM pistons and can provide input I'd be very curious to hear from them.

Posted by: jazzworkerbee ()
Date: May 11, 2022 08:41AM

I was told that the pair I have was made by TRW and though not in their original boxes, they're labeled L-2156 STD. Judging by the skirts, they were never installed. I hope this helps!

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Attachments:

Posted by: JerryM ()
Date: May 11, 2022 08:56AM

The pin bosses are typical forged style and look exactly like the late TRW L2206 forged pistons I have. Machining and markings look the same as well which might be an indication they're TRW, except for the square with "6T1" in it. Maybe it's a play on 6061 aluminum? 6061 isn't too common for pistons.
Looks like they're coated with something greenish in color?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.