Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
White PF-4 Oil filters
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: March 22, 2022 04:00AM

Was going through my stock of old white oil filters, and much to my surprise I found I had three variations of them. The thought I had was that for anybody buying or selling these filters, it might be good to note these differences, as shown in the below pictures.

Note the bottom of the can shows three distinct variations, as does the inside/top of the filter. Also, the stenciling is different one to another,

-Mark

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: White PF-4 Oil filters
Posted by: RThompson ()
Date: March 22, 2022 07:39AM

Hi Mark,

I can see, moving form left to right in the picture you provided, the center oil filter is correct for the oil filter produced in 1968. It is a similar stencil to the one produced for 66-67, however the words "ÖIL FILTER" were removed for this year and the stripes are a darker blue color than 66-67.

The one all the way to the right is correct for 1969.

The filter all the way over to the left looks to me like a Wix filter that has a AC decal on it. That stencil look and body of the oil filter were never produced by AC. Plus, you can see how clean and exact the "Stencil"is on that filter, leading me to believe it is a Wix with a AC decal.

Re: White PF-4 Oil filters
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: March 22, 2022 08:24PM

Hi RThompson,

Yep. The one on the left is actually a Clark's filter that I had painted white and applied his AC decal to it (but put the red only on one side, per factory). I added it to the picture just to show the differences with all the possibilities. Your detailed observations are correct.

The other two are the genuine items. I posted them so that others should know what to look for when looking over a stock of white filters. GM always packaged them sitting upside down in the boxes, so just opening the top will reveal enough to let one know what vintage he's buying. Thanks for posting the dates!

-Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.