Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
50s cars in Cuba
Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: March 17, 2022 03:10PM

I found this interesting comment from a reader on another forum / website. Makes me wonder if stolen cars are part of this trend.
I wouldn't be surprised if so.:

Dave in Austin
March 15, 2022 at 12:52 pm
One of the funny consequences of the Cuban “museum of 1959 US cars still in operation” is that the value is now driven by tourists wanting the experience.
As a consequence one of the largest “off the books” Cuban imports is old, pristine US cars from the late 1950s, which are worth more in Cuba than in the US.
I hear the ratline runs from parts of the US via Canada and Mexico. So if you go there, enjoy the ride. The car was probably in California or Connecticut three years ago.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 50s cars in Cuba
Posted by: 63vert ()
Date: March 17, 2022 05:31PM

I didn’t see anything even close to that when we were last there. Check out the engine bay of this beauty:

[imgur.com]

Rockingham, NC

1962 Greenbrier
65 110 4speed

Posted by: Unsafe140 ()
Date: March 17, 2022 06:32PM

Most of those 50s U.S. cars are frankensteins with little value.
If we are sending good US sheet metal over there at this point thats too bad.

We should just ship our junkyard vehicles over and see what they can do with what
we no longer want. A wrecked acura with a na 3.2 liter v6 would be a great transplant to a 50s chevy or ford.

Posted by: AZ Troy ()
Date: March 18, 2022 05:32AM

Vairismo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I found this interesting comment from a reader on another forum / website. Makes me wonder if stolen cars are part of this trend.
> I wouldn't be surprised if so.:
>
> Dave in Austin
> March 15, 2022 at 12:52 pm
> One of the funny consequences of the Cuban “museum of 1959 US cars still in operation” is that the value is now driven by tourists wanting the experience.
> As a consequence one of the largest “off the books” Cuban imports is old, pristine US cars from the late 1950s, which are worth more in Cuba than in the US.
> I hear the ratline runs from parts of the US via Canada and Mexico. So if you go there, enjoy the ride. The car was probably in California or Connecticut three years ago.

Is there anyway you can post the story here, or the interesting comment so we know what the heck you are talking about?

Troy G. / Scottsdale Arizona

'65 140 Corsa Coupe, White with light blue guts
'66 140 Corsa Coupe - Crown Converted in the '60's, Black with 3 Yellow stripes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.