Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Corsa Clock Current Draw
Posted by: falude ()
Date: March 16, 2022 06:47AM

Hi All -

I recently installed a Corsa dash in my 65 Monza. The Corsa clock was not working when I got the dash, but I was able to get it to run on the bench after cleaning and lubricating it.

When I installed the clock in the car, I placed an inline fuse on the power line from the fuse block to the clock. The clock will run for about 3 - 5 minutes or so in the car and then will blow the inline fuse. I started with a 10 amp fuse, and when it blew I tried a 15 amp (it also blew). There is no way this clock should be pulling that much current, is there?

Has anyone experienced something similar? The clock ran fine for a while on the bench hooked directly to 12 V (no fuse).

Thank you - Matt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corsa Clock Current Draw
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 16, 2022 08:49AM

Sounds like the contacts are not opening after charging.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: March 16, 2022 10:20AM

If the contacts don't open then the clock wouldn't be running. I'm not sure what size fuse the clock gets plugged into in the car fuse box?

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 16, 2022 10:41AM

The clock motor is sort of a solenoid. It normally draws a fairly strong spike current. One of the things that go wrong is that some of the windings can short. It will still work to some extent, but will draw way more current than it should.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: March 16, 2022 10:51AM

0.8 amp when contacts are made to kick the clock spring back into action again. Looks like you have a bad solenoid in the clock. Geta Instrumment Services quartz upgrade off ebay and rebuild it. Quartz unit has less amp draw over 24 hours than what factory clock does.

Here is last discussion on the kit.
[corvaircenter.com]

And here is the kit on eBay.
[www.ebay.com]

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: March 16, 2022 11:07AM

It is a simple installation of the Quartz upgrade and it is dead on accurate. If you can remove the clock, you can install the upgrade.

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: March 16, 2022 11:48AM

Will a NOS clock from the Sixties be gummed up (dried lubricant) from sitting on a shelf, or is it wiser to install the quartz movement before mounting the clock? I know, plug it in and see what happens, but going for a complicated, custom installation, hate to pull everything apart if the original movement only lasts a year or two. Still looking for a mounting base for an early or fc. Thanx!

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa coupe basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: March 16, 2022 12:22PM

If I were going to install a NOS clock I would disassemble it and lube it before. The quartz movement in my Corsa has been running accurately for over 20 years. I would never go back with a NOS clock.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 16, 2022 08:12PM

Those solenoid clocks in other cars got 3 amp fuses, so if it blows a 10 amp fuse, something internally is wrong with the coil or points. Get the quartz movement.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 17, 2022 07:32AM

I did a thorough cleaning of mine, then lubed it with synthetic clock oil. Did the diode mod. Its been keeping nearly perfect time for nearly 5 years, including running all winter. Its starting to act up now, so I will need to decide whether to clean and lube again or go quartz.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Unsafe140 ()
Date: March 17, 2022 09:42PM

go quartz my quartz change has been keeping good time for 8 years...

Joel
Cave Creek, AZ
1965 Corsa 140 tele

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.