Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ring and Pinion Pinion shaft needed
Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: March 15, 2022 11:25AM

I need a pinion shaft for a 1962 Manual Transmission. What have you?

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ring and Pinion Pinion shaft needed
Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: March 15, 2022 11:40AM

I do.
I am assuming you need the gear for the speedo drive???
What is condition of the internal splines and bearing diameters in the one in the picture?
May be interested in a Swap.
PM if interested also.
Bob C

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2022 11:43AM by dryenko.

Date: March 15, 2022 12:10PM

I do not have a picture of the one I need. This is just a stock picture. I included a picture to differentiate between the spider gear shaft which is also called a pinion shaft.

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: March 15, 2022 12:18PM

There are 2 different size speedo gears on the pinion shafts. Do you know which one you would need?

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Date: March 15, 2022 05:36PM

I do not know the answer to this question. Is there a different diameter or teeth on the shaft? I am building a positraction to install in my Rampside and I wanted to have it ready to go in after removing my old unit. Is there any way to tell which one I need with the old unit in the truck? My speedometer is dead on accurate as is.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: March 15, 2022 06:15PM

There is a good chart and description of the different speedo drive and driven gears sizes and compatibilities in Clarks catalog .

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8 door Greenbrier, +.060, stroked 1/4", 188 ci, 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: March 15, 2022 06:41PM

What gear ratio are you building? The 3.89 & 3.55 take the small drive gear and the 3.27 takes the large gear on the pinion. I don't recall the exact dimension for the gear diameter but it is published in the Corsa Tech Guide. The driven gear numbers are also in the tech guide, car and FC are different.

BTW, That looks like a pinion shaft from me in your picture.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2022 06:43PM by vairmech.

Date: March 16, 2022 02:44AM

I am building a 3.27 ratio. The shaft that holds the spider {pinion} gears is also called a pinion shaft. That's the reason for the picture. I got the picture off the internet.

Date: March 16, 2022 05:21AM

The reason I say that picture was from me is the hole put in the shaft and it is also laying on a blue shop towel, both things I do!

BTW, I don't care where the picture came from, just noting what I think.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: March 16, 2022 07:21PM

Looking at my part again, I think this will work for you. Inner splines are perfect. Gear is a 9 tooth, but can be changed. $100

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Attachments:

Date: March 17, 2022 04:44AM

viewmaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looking at my part again, I think this will work for you. Inner splines are perfect. Gear is a 9 tooth, but can be changed. $100
>
> -m
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Your pinion shaft has the wrong size speedo drive gear for a 3.27 gear ratio if the 9 tooth pinion gear is original. That speedo drive gear is very hard to get off without damage! Just ask Steve Goodman.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: March 17, 2022 04:54AM

I never realized that the shaft is not sold as a separate item. I have installed many ring and pinions and they always came with the shaft, now I know why. Does anyone have a correct R&P for a manual early 3.27 with the shaft and gear together?

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: March 17, 2022 07:18AM

vairmech Wrote:
> viewmaster Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Looking at my part again, I think this will work for you. Inner splines are perfect. Gear is a 9 tooth, but can be changed. $100
> >
> > -m
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
> Your pinion shaft has the wrong size speedo drive gear for a 3.27 gear ratio if the 9 tooth pinion gear is original. That speedo drive gear is very hard to get off without damage! Just ask Steve Goodman.

Dang....so many variables with these things. Good luck to O.P.
-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: March 17, 2022 08:31AM

I wouldn't get too excited about the speedometer drive gear, Clarks has a nice variety of speedometer driven gears and today's smaller diameter tires throw factory calibration out the window anyway. $100 is a great price for a pinion shaft with perfect splines; I'd jump on that one.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: March 17, 2022 07:00PM

It is absolutely a good price but If there are gears to make the speedometer correct, why are there more than one gear on the shaft? My current speedometer is dead on accurate and I do not want to upset this function.

Date: March 17, 2022 07:30PM

Irfgt, in my understanding the two speedometer drive gears were for passenger car and FC truck.

Never fear, IF it's inaccurate you can switch the driven gear to compensate.

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: March 18, 2022 04:39AM

cnicol Wrote:
> I wouldn't get too excited about the speedometer drive gear, Clarks has a nice variety of speedometer driven gears and today's smaller diameter tires throw factory calibration out the window anyway. $100 is a great price for a pinion shaft with perfect splines; I'd jump on that one.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The 3.27 drive gear is special in it's diameter to make the speedometer read correctly. If you read the tech guide you will see there are a myriad of combinations but there is not a combination of driven gear with the small drive gear on the pinion shaft that will be correct with the 3.27 ring and pinion.
With a 3.27 ring and pinion you need the larger pinion drive gear!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: March 18, 2022 05:25AM

Ken, thanks for your clarification. Does your comment apply to all 3.27 or just the early FC with 3.27? I remember reading something about the FC being the version with the larger speedo drive gear.

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: March 18, 2022 12:21PM

THe 1962 Rampside I am working on has a 1964 outer differential case. It has a 3.27 ratio. When I purchased the truck the speedometer was either too fast or too slow, I do not remember. I ordered a gear from Clarks with either one tooth more or one tooth less and it made it work and read perfectly. I do not know if it has a car or truck internal parts. I would bet on car parts. I am trying to build a positraction unit to replace the standard unit in the truck. I have an automatic posi differential and just purchased an empty early manual case. I hoped to be able to assemble a complete posi unit and just swap them out rather than rob parts off my perfectly operating current differential.

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: March 18, 2022 12:35PM

Have you checked the posi out yet. Early posis are prone to breaking. I just took one apart that looked good until I took the side adjuster out and then the side bearing fell out the side hole.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.