Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Red, red, everything is red! 61' interior shock and question
Posted by: OldWrenchTurner ()
Date: March 12, 2022 04:06PM

Holy moly, when GM put together my 61' 700 4-door, they went all in with the red!

I thought the metal parts were a bit much being all red (body, dash, everything red) but when I pulled the black vinal cover someone put on the back seat bench upholstery I was shocked at just how much more red there was!

Red on red on red. And that pattern is nauseating! eye popping smiley The only thing that offset all that red was the stainless trimming (beltline, roof line, badges etc.), which I guess is a pretty good contrast if I think about it. Also, I'm really surprised just how good of shape the original upholstery is in. Too bad I have to change it sad smiley I will try to save it if anyone is looking for true original upholstery.

That brings me to my question. I looked back and my very first forum post was regarding a guide for Corvair interiors. I got a lot of good feedback but was hoping for a little refinement. Forum member 2manyvairs posted this in that thread back on 3/14/21:

Early model 700s did not have carpet. They had a fitted rubber mat, black only for 500's and sort of interior color spatter on black for 700's. There is no replacements readily available for the original except old original ones that come up for sale.

Ed told me in that same thread that for the GM Sateen Silver I want to paint the car that 'Grey 886' interior is probably the match I want. So where could I look to find the correct rubber mats for my 700 for this interior code? Also what seat fabric patterns were available at this time (1961) for that code? (I'm loathe to use the pattern shown above, but hey if it's the only one they had, guess I'll have to get used to it!)

Thanks in advance for any help with this! smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red, red, everything is red! 61' interior shock and question
Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: March 12, 2022 05:33PM

Those rubber mats with the color flecks are no longer available. Most go with black rubber mats which are hard but not impossible to find or the carpets that Clark’s sells. Clark’s has those original seat materials listed in the upholstery section. [ssl.corvair.com]
Crawford

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Re: Red, red, everything is red! 61' interior shock and question
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: March 12, 2022 10:53PM

My '63 Turbo was triple red.
I HATE solid red interiors ! ! !

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.