Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Facing Reality: Recommend Locking Gas Cap, Please
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: March 09, 2022 07:21AM

Hey all, gas prices continue to soar, in California, finding out that three quarters of their gas is imported, all I can say is wow. But even around here, in a state that produces almost all of its own supply, gas is going up.

The idea of car gas supplies being stolen and siphoned is a real one for a daily driver. So I've started thinking about getting a locking gas cap. Unfortunately, car shows are going to be a big target for this sort of thing, whether stealing from the cars in the show, or from the cars in the parking lot.

So does anyone know of a locking gas cap that absolutely will fit a Corvair? I don't want to order something that gets here and it's not compatible. I've done some Google searches, and most of the caps either absolutely won't fit or their compatibility is hard to tell just from the pictures.

Thanks for the recommendations in advance. Also, are there any other things you do to secure your car in this arena? I have a GPS on mine in case it gets outright stolen, but anything else?

Yes, the car is still in the garage because of winter, and because I'm still having issues tuning it. But that won't be forever and when I get out on the road this summer I don't want that sort of worry in the back of my mind. I'll already be paying rental car prices just to keep gas in the tank!

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Facing Reality: Recommend Locking Gas Cap, Please
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: March 09, 2022 07:43AM

California Corvair's has nice chrome faced locking cape. And you'll be happy to know they also "vent".
Over the years people have got locking caps from others and found that they do not vent, like modern car gas caps.

Corventure Dave

Date: March 09, 2022 07:47AM

Thanks!

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: March 09, 2022 01:11PM

Go get this one. I have one for each of my vehicles.

But don't worry, they just drill into the tank now a days to get the fuel. So don't leave it with a .

[www.ebay.com]

Date: March 09, 2022 01:22PM

Thanks! Bought. Also, what is this cap? Is this really OEM NOS?

[www.bonanza.com]

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: March 09, 2022 01:24PM

Thats a horn button from a 60-4 500. Not a gas cap

Marco
A 2nd Gen Monza Wagon, a 2nd Gen GB 8door, a 2nd Gen (61's were 1st Gen) R/s and a 62nd Gen Turbo coupe..

Hanging out with the scorpions, king snakes, road runners, coyotes and quails In the southern desert of the silver state
Mesquite NV 89024

Date: March 09, 2022 01:27PM

Okay then.

Posted by: Spyderman64 ()
Date: March 09, 2022 04:14PM

In my experience locking gas caps aren't worth the bother. When I worked at a used car lot and we had a car with a locking cap and no key we would just twist the cap off with a channel-lock pliers. Worked every time.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: March 09, 2022 07:53PM

Spyderman64 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In my experience locking gas caps aren't worth the bother. When I worked at a used car lot and we had a car with a locking cap and no key we would just twist the cap off with a channel-lock pliers. Worked every time.

As with ALL security Items, unfortunately they only keep Honest People, honest. sad smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: March 10, 2022 07:50AM

I ordered the one recommended, anyway. It is mechanically more correct than the the others I have. (Ie: properly vented.)

Yes, I said "others." I'm kind of an impulse buyer.

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: March 22, 2022 05:40PM

playerpage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I ordered the one recommended, anyway. It is mechanically more correct than the the others I have. (Ie: properly vented.)
>
> Yes, I said "others." I'm kind of an impulse buyer.

Did you buy the horn cap?

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe-W100181
Earliest '61 Alive?

Date: March 22, 2022 09:01PM

I did. But I discovered the error before payment, and the guy let me cancel the order. He claimed it was improperly listed like that, without his knowledge.

Just for your "Gee Whiz" files, I got the locking cap, and it didn't fit. It was too big. I complained to THAT vendor, and he realized he'd sent me something for a 57 Chevy. I am still waiting for his proper cap to arrive.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.