Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Electric Fuel pumps
Posted by: slow61 ()
Date: May 24, 2022 11:47AM

If I'm reading this correctly, under normal operation, the ignition switch closes the relay, grounded at the oil pressure switch. The relay closing allows 12v from the battery through terminal 30 and out terminal 87 to the pump. Using the priming switch pulls power directly from the ignition switch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cschneider53 ()
Date: May 24, 2022 02:50PM

Before I went to Ted's EFI, I had the Airtex pump. That one worked just fine but the Bosch in-tank pump is obviously vastly superior. My only issue with it is that I must have done something wonky with the wiring since my fuel gauge now reads somewhere around 4:00 full and empty just about the F mark.

Posted by: PequotMonza64 ()
Date: May 24, 2022 06:31PM

The switch is a secondary method for turning the pump on when the car's not running to prime the carbs or (I guess) as a backup in case you lose the terminal 87 power.

Glen in Ohio
1964 Monza Sedan Powerglide 110 hp
Low mileage survivor, stock as delivered
Records back to 1967 in Pequot Lakes, Minnesota
Original dealer Mike Turk's in East Liverpool, Ohio
Located in Cleveland, Ohio area

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: May 24, 2022 07:43PM

30 goes to 87 when the relay is closed,(by feeding power to 86, grounding through 85 and the oil pressure switch) powering the pump. The bypass switch will power the pump to prime it, but only if the ignition is on. If the oil pressure switch opens, due to low pressure, it will "un-ground" the relay, turning off power to the pump.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: May 27, 2022 06:48AM

My pump is mounted underneath the driver's side of the rear passenger seat. Underneath the car, Not underneath the actual seat itself. I have it on a rubber gasket. It's not perfectly quiet, but when the car is running and I'm in the wind, I never hear it.

It's wired into the ignition switch, with a kill switch in between. So I can leave it off if I want to run the radio and so that if I have my generator or pressure light go on I can just flick it.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: July 14, 2022 05:44AM

I like to stay with the same thing but find myself changing again.
I enjoyed using Airtex E8016S for a long time but didn't care for the new Made in China smaller design.

I've been using NAPA 13-0203-E with a 3046 filter for about a year now. I think it's supposed to be a Carter. It's also Made in China but at least is the same size as the old Airtex. I had one a few weeks ago that did not work when installed. I had one last week that had 1/4 NPT hose fittings instead of 1/8 NPT but was not a big deal because I had some extras. They've been keeping one in stock for me locally but when I went to get one yesterday there were none in the NAPA system. I liked getting them locally in case I ever needed to return one. The price has gotten a little out of hand but I can live with that if it's good.

I've ordered a Facet 40105 from Pegasus.They're supposed to be Made in USA unlike many of the others on Ebay and such. I wanted to stay away from cheap Facet-like ones and it sounds like some marketed as Facet may be fake as well. I've always been fond of Pegasus. I hope that some reports of Facet pumps being noisy were Facet-like pumps.
I had to decide between Facet 40104 and 40105. Even though the pressures listed are a little different it sounds like they both operate at about 2#s but the 40105 has a little more GPH. Dave Motohead was reported to use the 40105 so that was the clincher.
I hope it works out. I really like using the same thing all the time and I can imagine Pegasus being reasonable about returning a bad one if I'm buying them consistently.

My friend tried a red Edelbrock from O'Reillys but it seemed too loud for me. I'm not sure how it was installed. It's not a problem for him with his loud dual exhaust but that's another story for another day.

The last thing I need is unreliable electric fuel pumps after people pay me the big bucks to make the switch.

I'm really curious about who Clarks is working with on the mechanical pumps and how the pricing and reliability will be. A good mechanical fuel pump option sure sounds good.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: July 29, 2022 04:51AM

I'm trying to stay with Facet from Pegasus for Made in USA.
I tried a cube type 40105 behind the gas tank with rubber washers and it's too loud for me, you can hear it with the engine running.
I have a Posi-Flow FEP06SV coming. It's got like a ceramic outer layer. It's supposed to compare to a 40106 cube type, a little higher pressure maybe so I worry about it with a Carter YH.
These are in the $60 neighborhood. I'm curious why you can't wrap a cube pump in foam for quiet because of cooling but they can wrap them in ceramic.
In another thread someone mentioned using the Cylindrical. I see 40002 in the $110 neighborhood with an internal filter. The labor is the expensive part of the job.

I'm a little concerned about the gas gauge reading mentioned above with the in-tank. Was that just a fluke with that car? How are they working for other people? I like the sound of a Bosch pump Made in Brazil. I was happy with Airtex E8016S Made in Mexico. With a gas tank sender costing $50 that's half the cost. This sounds like a good option, hopefully available for a long time. I'd be happy enough getting them from Ted but I'm curious if The Source is still around.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: TedBrown ()
Date: July 29, 2022 05:36AM

Just to clarify. The EFI pumps are made by Bosch. The Carb pumps are all China-made. I actually bought a Carter pump and it had printed made in the USA, then the Box said made in China. The China pumps and Carter seems to be made by the same people (machine marks, housing, etc).

The internal pumps are rotary vane pumps and tend to whine. I've had a couple complain about the whine and others not. I was using the Vega pumps (1971-1977) internal pumps.

I miss the good ole days of Made in the USA!!! Bob Hope throw back

Ted

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2022 05:46AM by TedBrown.

Posted by: gbullman ()
Date: July 29, 2022 05:46AM

Normally the 12v from the relay powers the pump. The manual switch is to get fuel in the carbs after car has sat a while or as a backup if relay or oil pressure switch were to fail, normally it is off.

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Date: July 29, 2022 06:10AM

In reply to the puzzled about the schematic post. The 12v from the battery is there all the time. When the 12v comes from the fusebox it connects the 12v from the battery to the pump.
It's the same sort of thing when using a relay for the heater fan.
By the way I don't use a relay for a fuel pump. I don't think the amount of current is all that much. I come off the fusebox on a terminal that comes on with the key, usually the Heater circuit because it has a nice fat fuse. Then I go through a toggle switch and an inertia switch under the das on the way to the fuel pump.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2022 06:13AM by JimBrandberg.

Date: July 30, 2022 08:24AM

I was happy with Airtex E8016S in the $40 neighborhood until Airtex was sold and the conglomerate moved manufacturing to China.
I switched to NAPA (Carter) also Made in China. I installed half a dozen with no problems, then had one that didn't work, then had a noisy one, now NAPA doesn't have any in their system. The price had crept up to over $70 for a pump and filter since they didn't come with one. I was okay with the price if they were good and repeatable.
I've tried to have an open mind but the more I deal with things Made in China the more problems I have. Some things like Raybestos master cylinders have been okay so far. I'm reluctant about Bosch pumps Made in China and would appreciate some feedback that they're okay.
In the meantime I think I'll keep trying different Facets to find something I like while still mulling over the in-tank thing. I don't mind hearing a pump before the engine starts but not once the engine is running and it's all caught up.
I'm sure open to more suggestions.
When thinking about manufacturing moving to China I'm reminded of the song "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot, you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone..."

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: July 30, 2022 09:09AM

I've had one mechanical fuel pump failure this month and two electric pump failures. All were new or less than 6 months old. At this rate, I probably should use two pumps per vehicle so I can make a 20-mile trip without the fear of being stranded.

I found an old Airtex "Made in USA" pump underneath an old crashed F150 at the junkyard. It runs well and puts out good pressure so I'll trust that one more than these new ones.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: July 30, 2022 02:57PM

Jim - How is the Facet pump working out? Many installed?

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site: [www.perfvair.com]

Located in lovely San Jose, California

Date: August 01, 2022 04:27AM

The first Facet cube style I installed is a little noisy.
I haven't tried the ceramic-like Posi-Flow yet.
To further muddy the waters I received a few Holley part numbers that are supposed to be Made in USA. The appearance is like the Facet Posi-Flow but the GPH may be higher.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.