Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Electric Fuel pumps
Posted by: corvairdoug ()
Date: March 07, 2022 08:35AM

I'm investigating the possibility of using an electric fuel pump in my LM. What's the favorite location for one? I had one in the 80's, and the noise shook the whole car; are they still like that? Also, how difficult is it to wire it so it will kill the flow in an accident? I'd like to keep the stock appearance, so I would probably pull the rod from the stock pump; is that enough, or do I need to do something else to it?
Thanks all!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Electric Fuel pumps
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: March 07, 2022 08:43AM

As close to the fuel tank as possible.

Here is wiring I did on my 66 More Door.

Attachments:
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: March 07, 2022 09:54AM

I had good luck with this Edelbrock unit.

Corvair carbs need low pressure...3-5 psi.

Attachments:

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 07, 2022 09:57AM

And to keep stock look, someone makes a fake fuel pump with just a passageway drilled in it. It will not leak fuel into the crankcase, ever, but the stock pump will if the diaphragm gets a hole.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: gojoe283 ()
Date: March 07, 2022 07:19PM

B"H

I have two pumps installed. The stock pump is used to run the engine; but in an emergency if that pump fails, I can activate the electric pump with the flip of a switch. Otherwise it stays off.

I also use the electric pump sometimes to fill the carb bowls when the car sits for a couple of weeks...

Bill Hershkowitz
66 Monza Sport Sedan

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 07, 2022 08:49PM

I like to mount them on the bulkhead behind the gas tank under the passengers feet. I used to like The Airtex E8016S until it got smaller and Made in China. I've used a similar NAPA one made by Carter but it's also made in china. I was looking at a Spectra but haven't tried one yet. Like they said 3-5#s is good.
I found the Edelbrock one noisy.
I mount them on a rubber washer to reduce the vibration significantly.
I wire from the fusebox, through a toggle switch and used Ford inertia switch under the dash. It comes on with the key and you don't have to run the wires all the way back to the engine.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: mwr ()
Date: March 07, 2022 10:23PM

I like in-tank electric pumps. I got one from Ted Brown and it is great. Using it in combination with the dummy mechanical pump mod as was already mentioned, to keep an original looking engine bay.

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: March 07, 2022 10:39PM

corvairdoug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm investigating the possibility of using an electric fuel pump in my LM. What's the favorite location for one? I had one in the 80's, and the noise shook the whole car; are they still like that? Also, how difficult is it to wire it so it will kill the flow in an accident? I'd like to keep the stock appearance, so I would probably pull the rod from the stock pump; is that enough, or do I need to do something else to it?
> Thanks all!

I would put one inside the tank.

More so - If you have to clean or replace your tank.

They seem to run cooler and are much quieter.

Plus the install is not as noticeable if you use one of those fuel pump blocks or plates. (Whatever they are called) grin

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: March 08, 2022 05:52AM

gojoe283 Wrote:
----------------------------------------------------
> I have two pumps installed.
> Bill Hershkowitz
> 66 Monza Sport Sedan

So.....What brand and part number electric pump do you use?

Posted by: Wills69 ()
Date: March 08, 2022 10:36AM

Doug,

I think the rotary style pumps are quieter.
Mine is the Carter brand that does about 2-4 psi for my 110 motor.
Forget part number.
So far so good.

Will
69 500

Posted by: TedBrown ()
Date: March 08, 2022 11:38AM

In-tank Corvair electric fuel pump for Carb engines.

Ted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2022 11:39AM by TedBrown.

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: March 08, 2022 02:02PM

One of our club members has already replaced the e-pump twice since getting their 62 sedan back on the road. Turns out the new pumps can't be trusted much more than the new mechanicals. The second pump was Mr Gasket brand and it was bad almost right out of the box. The other pump probably lasted them less than 500 miles before he had to hit it with a hammer to get it to start pumping again.

I run both e-pumps and mechanicals in several Corvairs depending on what I feel I can trust at the time. Maybe we should just strap a tank to the roof and use gravity feed?

Did anyone see Clark's announce they are pursuing a mechanical pump reproduction in the near future?

Clark's sez...-
?Finding mechanical fuel pumps is getting harder – there are even some on the market that just do not fit. Clark's is planning to reproduce fuel pumps to exact original standards. The pump is a complicated part to reproduce, so it will take time. For now, we have the electric pump conversion kits available.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Attachments:
Date: March 08, 2022 07:06PM

azdave Wrote:
> One of our club members has already replaced the e-pump twice since getting their 62 sedan back on the road. Turns out the new pumps can't be trusted much more than the new mechanicals. The second pump was Mr Gasket brand and it was bad almost right out of the box. The other pump probably lasted them less than 500 miles before he had to hit it with a hammer to get it to start pumping again.
>
I like the Tank on the Roof idea. The Mr. Gasket and most e-pumps are external diaphragm pumps and the rubber splits on just like the mechanicals after use and exposure to today's harsh fuels.

I like the Internal Rotary Van pump as it is quieter and does not use a rubber gasket and valves to pump This does not mean a rotary van pump will last forever because I said it. This is the Vega-style pump and was used for many years.

Ted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2022 07:08PM by TedBrown.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 09, 2022 05:32AM

I've installed at least 50 electric fuel pumps and don't think I've ever had trouble. Most of them were Airtex E8016S Made in Mexico and I was very sad when Airtex was bought out by a bigger conglomerate and the E8016S is Made in China and different now. I bought a batch of the old ones to get by for a while but those are gone now.

Some folks don't have trouble with the cheapest electric pumps they can find but I just can't bring myself to do it. For me the cost of the pump is a small part of the total cost with plumbing and electrical labor so I really want something that is repeatable. With all my trash talk about mechanical pumps the last thing I need is an electric pump that fails.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: March 09, 2022 05:45AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
>something that is repeatable. With all my trash talk about mechanical pumps, the last thing I need is an electric pump that fails.

So True Jim. All low-pressure pumps are made in China now (that I can find) and worry about that too. The problem is not so much it is made in China, it's the quality control, some companies make their pumps with Chinese labor and others buy from the cheapest guy.

On the high-pressure pumps (EFI), I only purchase Bosch which are made in Brazil by the company, but I liked it better when they were made in Anderson, SC.

Ted

Posted by: Early Guy ()
Date: March 09, 2022 06:39PM

Mechanical fuel pump by-pass plate Clarks #C12879

Ray Johnson Villa Park IL 63 Spyder Conv. 140 EFI

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: March 10, 2022 02:56PM

After all the issues I had with mechanical pumps back in 2006 on my way to the Buffalo Convention in my 66 Corsa. I installed an Airtex as soon as I got home. Been in there since. After getting my 65 Monza and having the new mechanical stop working, put an airtex in that one too.

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Posted by: gbullman ()
Date: March 11, 2022 09:12AM

I did the electric pump that Clark's sells as well as the distribution block in the old mechanical pump and an inertial switch. I decided against an oil pressure switch, the inertial switch should provide the safety I need.

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Attachments:
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: March 13, 2022 12:56PM

I was talking with Doug on my schematic and I noted I had not updated the schematic to the simpler installation I did on the car.

Here it is for those interested. Not looking for comments as system is working great and installation reduces wiring work.

PS any wiring going to pump is 14 gauge. Any wiring going to relay, inertia switch and low oil pressure switch is 18 gauge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2022 12:59PM by Lane66m.

Attachments:
Posted by: corvairdoug ()
Date: May 24, 2022 10:29AM

I'm a little puzzled, sorry for my ignorance here. If there's 12v coming from the battery to the relay, and 12v from the fusebox/ignition, which one powers the pump?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.