Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
How To? Trunk Wire Grommet - Suggestions Please!
Posted by: Tom Rahochik ()
Date: March 04, 2022 05:44PM

OK. I installed the below new trunk wire grommet in my 1966 Corvair by heating it with a hair dryer and pressing it in from trunk firewall toward the interior of the car. Once in place it reduces the inner square diameter of the grommet. Now
comes the issue. (There is no dash cluster currently in the car). I put a thin
coat of grease on the outside of the wiring harness connector under the dash and
attempted to push with all my finger strength, the connector into the grommet.
Unfortunately, my finger strength will not push it in place. Is there a way to
get the connector into the inside groove of the grommet by force without damage
to the plastic connector or the wires in the connector? Keep in mind this is a
reproduction grommet and it seems to be of a harder rubber material than the
original. ALL suggestions are greatly appreciated........

Re: How To? Trunk Wire Grommet - Suggestions Please!
Posted by: Colorsarge ()
Date: March 05, 2022 02:34AM

Wires are usually secured into plastic connector with a small tang that locks them in. Use a tiny screw driver or awl to push back tangs, remove connector, push wires through grommet and reconnect on other side. Hope that works for you.

Frankford, De., eight miles north of Ocean City, Md.
1966 Corsa convt.

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: March 05, 2022 04:37AM

It is a hard connector to install into the new grommet. Best to have two people. One can pull it with a tool while you are pushing. Avoid crushing the connector of course so don’t use a vice grip pliers.

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: March 05, 2022 06:52AM

If I recall correctly, the connector/wire loom must be installed into the grommet before installing into the firewall.

Marco
A 2nd Gen Monza Wagon, a 2nd Gen GB 8door, a 2nd Gen (61's were 1st Gen) R/s and a 62nd Gen Turbo coupe..

Hanging out with the scorpions, king snakes, road runners, coyotes and quails In the southern desert of the silver state
Mesquite NV 89024

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 05, 2022 10:34AM

Marco_a_p Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I recall correctly, the connector/wire loom must be installed into the grommet before installing into the firewall.

It's been a few years, but I recall Marco is correct. I tried a number of ways with no success. Finally I had one car with the instrument cluster out and put the grommet on the connector (from the trunk harness) and pushed the connector and grommet into the bulkhead hole from INSIDE the car. Fairly easy that way.

Just me, but the ONLY way I could do this successfully was to have the instrument cluster REMOVED.

With the instrument cluster in place there isn't enough room to press the grommet and connector in from the inside of the car. If you try to use a screwdriver it will just push one side (or the other) through the bulkhead hole and you have to start over.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.