Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Rear Camber Bolts
Posted by: bmarsh52 ()
Date: March 02, 2022 06:01PM

After adjusting the camber on my 65 Corsa I was tightening one of the nuts when it stripped out. I was probably at 40 foot pounds when it went. No where near the suggested 70 foot pounds. The same thing happened to the other side several months ago. These appear to the original camber style bolts.

The bolts were clean when removed and I used anti-seize on the threads. Is this a result of the threads wearing out after being installed a couple of times?

I have Clarks replacements on order. I had read some time ago that the Clarks units were also prone to strip out. Does anyone know if that has been corrected?

What is the suggested torque for the replacements?

Thanks

Reston, Virginia

1965 Corsa Turbo Coupe
1963 Spyder Coupe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rear Camber Bolts
Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: March 02, 2022 06:51PM

Had a couple strip over the decades from wear / use; nothing to get excited about.

Know nothing about Clark's replacements.

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: March 02, 2022 06:59PM

Were you using the original style long hex nuts ?
Abut as tall as a lug nut ??
Which can be used, BTW.
Is the bolt badly striped? A longer nut ay still work.
The Clark's replacements have a long milled flat, as part of a design change , which makes them less strong and a tendency to twist.
They did on me when trying them.
I would find some original ones,NOS, or excellent used.
Another hint, you must reduce the torque when using anti-seize, which acts a lubricant.
Reduce torque by 15-20 %
Mine came from the dry southwest, so they are in new new condition.

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 02, 2022 07:17PM

bmarsh52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After adjusting the camber on my 65 Corsa I was tightening one of the nuts when it stripped out. I was probably at 40 foot pounds when it went. No where near the suggested 70 foot pounds. The same thing happened to the other side several months ago. These appear to the original camber style bolts.
>
> The bolts were clean when removed and I used anti-seize on the threads. Is this a result of the threads wearing out after being installed a couple of times?
>
> I have Clarks replacements on order. I had read some time ago that the Clarks units were also prone to strip out. Does anyone know if that has been corrected?
>
> What is the suggested torque for the replacements?
>
> Thanks

Keep in mind the suggested torque is a DRY rating, just clean threads - no lubricant like anti-seize. If the car was not driven when salt was on the road, then corrosion is not much of an issue. If they are corroded, they should be replaced.

The shop manual says 85-95 ft. lbs., but the factory assembly manual says 70-90 ft. lbs.

A rough rule suggests 75% of DRY torque should be used for OILED or lubricated thread torque.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 02, 2022 07:21PM

dryenko Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Were you using the original style long hex nuts ?
> Abut as tall as a lug nut ??
> Which can be used, BTW.
> Is the bolt badly striped? A longer nut ay still work.
> The Clark's replacements have a long milled flat, as part of a design change , which makes them less strong and a tendency to twist.
> They did on me when trying them.
> I would find some original ones,NOS, or excellent used.
> Another hint, you must reduce the torque when using anti-seize, which acts a lubricant.
> Reduce torque by 15-20 %
> Mine came from the dry southwest, so they are in new new condition.

I wasn't too keen on the Clark's bolts, not enough material in my opinion. My cars spent their life in the Southwest and the bolts and nuts were in great shape so I re-used them without issue.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 02, 2022 08:23PM

Us in the east are not that lucky, we buy lots of Clark's special bolts!smileys with beer

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: bmarsh52 ()
Date: March 03, 2022 04:26AM

Yes I was using the original style long hex nuts. I think they are OK. Its the threads on the bolt that let go.

I will stop using the anti-seize.

On dry threads still torque to 70 Ft lbs?

Thanks everyone.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: March 03, 2022 06:46PM

Yeats ago after having replacement camber bolts strip out like described here...
I made up my own using the stock camber bolt washers that were degree marked. The problem with replacements is that they are only grade 5 or less hardness. We used to call these soft nut's and bolts "butter bolts"!
Mine I made out of special order grade 8 or better bolts and nuts. I believe the OEM were also harder materials.
I sold my spares at the Toss in Palm Springs over the years. I don't believe I have any left.
The taller nut's supplied today may still be soft.

Corventure Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.