Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Racing - and losing - but winning - at the last Corvair Track Classic
Posted by: Armen ()
Date: February 28, 2022 05:57AM

If you're not familiar, the Covair Track Classic has been a weekend of full road-course racing, autocrossing, and even drag racing, for Corvairs at the 2.1 mile Motorsports Park Hastings track in Hastings, Nebraska for the past 7 years. My car has been there every year, and it's been a fantastic event.

Here's a video telling the story of my experience, and giving you a look at the other racers and the track:

[youtu.be]

A quick overview for those who don't want to watch the video:

[*] I had carb problems again, as per usual, where one of them flat-out wasn't supplying fuel. I took half of them out and cleaned them in the paddock, found nothing of note, then put them back together and ran it, and it worked much better.
    [*] I managed to set a new PR (at least in this car at this track) by a second or two, even though it wasn't running really great and still cut out a little on some sections of the track
    [*] In the afternoon of the first day, I felt like I had a low-flying airplane following me, with a nasty howling, grumbling noise coming from the rear end. It turned out to be my differential coming apart. This did not stop me from competing in the autocross layout on day 2 smiling smiley

Overall, it's been a really fun event for the last 7 years. The only place and time in the world where a bunch of Corvairs take over a road course for a weekend and just have fun in a friendly competition. I've gotten to bring my kids for several of these years, and we've built some great family memories camping in a tent in the paddock. It's crazy to see how much they've grown in just that time.

In the end, though, we couldn't get enough participants to be in the black in 2021 and couldn't even get close to enough to book for 2022. It was always a small miracle that this event could happen, so it's not a big surprise, and regardless, I get to keep the memories and the relationships I've gotten to build over the years. No regrets!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Racing - and losing - but winning - at the last Corvair Track Classic
Posted by: gbullman ()
Date: February 28, 2022 06:34AM

Great video, thanks for posting!

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: February 28, 2022 07:08AM

I pretty bummed it wont be back in 2022.
I think I was at 4 or 5 of the Track Classics - and sad that I missed the first 2.

Its the closest thing to the old 'Fire and ICE' events in Marshalltown IA, though a much, much longer course.

Now that I have 2 Autocross Cars (or part-time track cars)....and both my brothers have Corvairs, we could had a family shoot-out at this years.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: February 28, 2022 04:34PM

Great story and video. Was entertaining the whole way down to the last second. When did this take place? Could the club invite other groups to make the event in years to come?

Date: February 28, 2022 04:37PM

FLSteve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great story and video. Was entertaining the whole way down to the last second. When did this take place? Could the club invite other groups to make the event in years to come?

Steve - many have been 'beating the drum' to try and get people to this event for 7 years. Its not a 'club' event - it was for all Corvairs. Many clubs were represented. The track is costly....and without a bunch of cars showing up, it was a money loser.
Many thanks to Chris Shade, John and Teresa Miller, and others for keeping it going this long.

Eric P.
DeWItt, IA

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: February 28, 2022 06:05PM

That was a very neat video!

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Heart of Georgia Corvair Club Webmaster
Springfest Webmaster

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Posted by: jazzworkerbee ()
Date: February 28, 2022 07:23PM

His mod videos are helpful!

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Date: March 01, 2022 05:04AM

jazzworkerbee Wrote:
> His mod videos are helpful!

Thanks, Daniel. I can't decide if the enormous number of times I've rebuilt the carbs makes me more qualified to talk about them, or less.... winking smiley

Date: March 01, 2022 05:10AM

The real question, Armen, is without the Track Classic, how are you going to know when its time for your annual carb rebuild?

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Date: March 01, 2022 05:19AM

isucorvair Wrote:
> The real question, Armen, is without the Track Classic, how are you going to know when its time for your annual carb rebuild?
>
>
> Eric P.
> DeWitt, IA

Good question, lol! I guess I'll have to go back to doing it the old-fashioned way - driving more than 100 miles from home and having to do it on the side of the road. grinning smiley

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 01, 2022 12:20PM

FLSteve Wrote:
> Great story and video. Was entertaining the whole way down to the last second. When did this take place? Could the club invite other groups to make the event in years to come?

Occasionally I've heard discussions about inviting other air cooled clubs to join Corvair functions, or shows, to boost viability. For whatever reason few seem to like this idea, especially the VW bug and air cooled Porsche folks.

Date: March 01, 2022 02:01PM

66vairman Wrote:

> Occasionally I've heard discussions about inviting other air cooled clubs to join Corvair functions, or shows, to boost viability. For whatever reason few seem to like this idea, especially the VW bug and air cooled Porsche folks.

Yes, we actually changed the name to the "Air-cooled Track Classic" for a couple of years and reached out extensively to Porsche and VW clubs. If you watched the video, you saw Kris Lee who joined us for a couple of events in his G-body 911, he's the only one that has ever come out. I used to have an air-cooled 911 and tracked it several times - the Porsche clubs around here have moved on and none of the air-cooled guys will track their cars any longer, they are worth too much and it's a different type of owner now than it was 15-20 years ago with those cars.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.