Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Doug Ward's Corsa cluster and glovebox and surround
Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: February 12, 2022 12:36PM

This is sort of a continuation of a previous post in which I asked Doug for pictures of his hydro-dip dash refurbishment. That post originated with WTB: Corsa dash, so I thought it appropriate that I start a new post on Doug's work so it isn't overlooked because of an inaccurate title. That old post is here:

[corvaircenter.com]

Doug also sent me the before photo of his Corsa, the after photo is included in the link above.

Doug explains the process he used: I decided to try out doing a wood grain finish like the factory would have done. It's called a Hydro - dip process. It's actually a print. It's not a decal or any kind of applique or sticker on. I get a lot of comments on the dash. People either really like it or don't care for that look. Just take your time & you can renew your dash to look like new.

I think it looks fantastic! There was a previous discussion about hydro dipping: [corvaircenter.com] Chance and Am. Mel, see you can do it!

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa coupe basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Doug Ward's Corsa cluster and glovebox and surround
Posted by: CoCoCo ()
Date: February 12, 2022 02:01PM

Wow, I like it too! Thanks for posting his pics up here.
I was actually kind of ho-hum about it before seeing it. And while I still prefer the factory wrinkle finish for my own use, that is extremely attractive and well executed.
The wheel is very nice as well.

Paul

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: February 12, 2022 04:31PM

That came out really well and works great with your black interior. It might not work with every color but definely does with the black.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: February 12, 2022 05:45PM

The steering wheel makes the dash 'work'. Good looking interior

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 12, 2022 05:59PM

BEAUTIFUL! thumbs up cool smiley thumbs up
Just as nice as I pictured it would be.
Unfortunately, I no longer live near a facility that does Hydro-dipping. sad smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: February 12, 2022 06:15PM

American Mel, & others, Thanks for the compliments. The facility I used is my back yard and a big tub. The U tube videos are all pretty misleading though. They say it's an easy process. NO ITs NOT !! I took me 5 try's to get it right. I think that was the hardest thing I did on the whole 3 year restoration of the car. BTW, I just happened to stumble across the wheel cover at an Auto Zone store & it matched the dash so well , I put it on over the "wood" telescopic wheel. I have since removed the cover & refinished the original one.

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Posted by: aircooledairhead ()
Date: February 12, 2022 07:24PM

I think it looks terrific. Many sports and sporty cars of the same era as Corvairs featured wood dash trim. Though it isn’t stock it is still appropriate for that era.
Great job!

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: February 13, 2022 04:16AM

Put me in the "Love it!" columm. Wow! smileys with beer

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: February 13, 2022 05:56AM

I am not a "stock" guy. I think it looks great!

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
62' Wagon rebuild MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: February 13, 2022 09:41AM

My 1946 Nash Ambassador came with this type of finish on the dash from the factory.
Unfortunately, when I tried to clean it with a wet rag, much of the finish came off; I guess 70+ years was pushing it. sad smiley

I never knew how it was done before this topic came up. Thanks!

Kevin
Medina, OH

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: February 13, 2022 12:47PM

Wow, that is trick! With the acreage the Corvair dash covers it's a bit too much woodgrain for my tastes, but I still like it. Love how the glove box door and surround are perfectly matched. Now that's some expert craftsmanship!

BTW, a couple of years ago a guy sold a handcrafted solid wood dash "pad" at the DACC Homecoming that would have fit right in to your car. If it hadn't gone for a steep price (and worth every penny, no doubt) I might have bought it, Don't know who bought it, though.

-Mark

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: February 13, 2022 01:14PM

flamingchariots Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My 1946 Nash Ambassador came with this type of finish on the dash from the factory.
> Unfortunately, when I tried to clean it with a wet rag, much of the finish came off; I guess 70+ years was pushing it. sad smiley
>
> I never knew how it was done before this topic came up. Thanks!

Craig replies: But wait, Kevin, there's more! Your Nash dash (kinda catchy eh?) was actually hand painted by artisans. Here's how: Click here for youtube video of woodgraining a dashboard - the old way.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: February 13, 2022 02:37PM

cnicol
Craig replies: But wait, Kevin, there's more! Your Nash dash (kinda catchy eh?) was actually hand painted by artisans. Here's how: Click here for youtube video of woodgraining a dashboard - the old way.

That is helpful, Craig. That's pretty similar to what my window frames look like.
I wonder what that finish is that they're applying at the 2:40 mark? Sealer? Darkener? You can tell I'm not a painter...

Kevin
Medina, OH

Date: February 13, 2022 08:14PM

Hi Mark. Great comment. I agree that it does cover a lot of real estate but I couldn't figure out how to minimize it. Thanks for the positive responses guys, It is rewarding to see that my hard work is appreciated by quite a few of you folks.
I am currently restoring a '62 Monza convert & changing to a Spyder dash & glove box. It will stay with the factory satin aluminum finish. I have removed the manifold pressure gauge & replaced it with a C-3 Corvette oil pressure gauge, since the car will stay with the stock 102 hp carb'd engine.( no turbo )
Now, like Mike Patey says " back to work ". How many of you know who he is ?

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.

Date: February 14, 2022 03:54AM

That much woodgrain actually works because you also highlighted the radio face, aux instrument bezel, and steering wheel with wood accents. It's that attention to detail that makes it all work well, and results in one gorgeous dashboard.

Now all you need is the finishing touch, the chrome accents of air conditioning! winking smiley

-Mark

Posted by: John Luscinski ()
Date: February 14, 2022 05:22AM

I like it it has taste... thumbs up

"Been there and done that! Well Not everything.smiling smiley
65 500 2dr Coupe
63 Greenbrier

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: February 14, 2022 06:31AM

Yup, I am a fan. It looks vairy convincing. I thought of doing a carbon-fiber finish. Even bought the contact paper but I was afraid with many compound curves that it wouldn't stick.

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Date: February 14, 2022 08:28AM

Paul, it's not contact paper. Mine is a print. It happens when you dip the part into a tub of water, submerge it, & it's done. Let it dry , then finish it with a clear coat. Thanks for your comment

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.

Date: February 14, 2022 10:41AM

Remember the woodgrain on the sides of cars back in the day? My first Suburban had an "Estate" package on it (I ordered the vehicle), and it was the first year they had the gas tank filler behind a door (1979). The contour of the door inset caused immense problems with the woodgrain applique material and it just refused to stretch into the "three sides of a box" female corners of the quarter panel. It was a huge headache for the warranty people, and something that they just never could get fixed right. Which is probably why they dropped the package the next year. You're going to run into this problem with any type of flat applique or decal, unless the material is real stretchy. I run into it all the time with decals on car models.

It's also why the most difficult contour to stamp into sheet metal is the "three sides of a box" corner or anything even more severe, like a point or sharp crease line. The metal will only stretch so far and then it either thins out and tears, or crumples up, depending on the overall contours.

Bottom line on any flat-into-a-corner situation is to avoid it at all costs. Unless you're working with taffy.

-Mark

Date: February 14, 2022 02:16PM

Hi Mark, Yup, that is exactly why I went with the hydro-print method. It gets into all the nooks & crannies plus the 3 sides of corners. ( BTW, I do have all the main parts to put A/C in the car. - but that's a whole nuther subject )

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.