Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
1965 Corsa Windshield replace? Not by Safelite!
Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: February 10, 2022 03:52PM

Called Safelite today to get a windshield installed in my car. This is the response they just sent me.
Your vehicle cannot be serviced by Safelite.

Regretfully, we will not be able to service your vehicle as it falls outside of our serviceable year range or the parts are not available. Currently, the oldest vehicles we can service and have parts for are 1985 and above. If your vehicle is within that range and you are receiving this email, then the reason we cannot service your vehicle is that the parts are no longer available and are either obsolete or no longer in production per our vendors and local dealerships.

We urge you to research an antique body shop or another glass company that may be able to service your vehicle or find the parts needed for your service. We apologize for any inconvenience and do thank you for choosing Safelite Auto Glass for your service.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2022 05:56PM by MattNall.

Re: 1965 Corsa
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 10, 2022 04:17PM

Same response I got years ago when many here said "Use Safelite".

BTW - changing the title to 65 Corsa windshield would get more views.

Apparently about 5-10 years ago Safelite went from sattelite shops to a centralized system. If I called the local shop I got a phone menu and no real person to ask questions. I finally drove to the Safelite shop and the manager's attitude was that they didn't have time for my old car and wouldn't order a windshield for me buy and install myself.

I found a glass wholesaler, but the windshields were from China and I had to return two before I got one that wasn't scratched or warped.

I've heard the better LM windshields are made in S. America, but that was a decade ago! There is an American company making EM windshields, but they haven't done the LM - last time I checked.

Anybody else got a good lead?

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: February 10, 2022 04:23PM

Sorry. They make their money from more modern vehicles by processing easy insurance claims by the thousands daily. There is little profit in with messing with old cars that usually have rusty metal window frames and hard to source trim, clips, retainers, etc. You probably need to find a smaller, family or locally owned windshield shop if you can.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Date: February 10, 2022 04:36PM

azdave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry. They make their money from more modern vehicles by processing easy insurance claims by the thousands daily. There is little profit in with messing with old cars that usually have rusty metal window frames and hard to source trim, clips, retainers, etc. You probably need to find a smaller, family or locally owned windshield shop if you can.

True - Now you have to find a good old style body shop to fix the windshield frame and do the GM glue in glass. Modern glass shops use completely different techniques to install windshield glass. It's a vanishing art form like finding a place to install the EM windshield with a rubber perimeter gasket.

The alternative is learn to do it yourself.

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: February 10, 2022 04:52PM

66vairman Wrote:
> azdave Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Sorry. They make their money from more modern vehicles by processing easy insurance claims by the thousands daily. There is little profit in with messing with old cars that usually have rusty metal window frames and hard to source trim, clips, retainers, etc. You probably need to find a smaller, family or locally owned windshield shop if you can.
>
> True - Now you have to find a good old style body shop to fix the windshield frame and do the GM glue in glass. Modern glass shops use completely different techniques to install windshield glass. It's a vanishing art form like finding a place to install the EM windshield with a rubber perimeter gasket.
>
> The alternative is learn to do it yourself.

I can do it myself but the last time I needed a windshield Safelite provided the part and installed it at my business. I may have found one for a couple hundred and I'll install it myself.

Re: 1965 Corsa Windshield replace? Not by Safelite!
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: February 10, 2022 06:42PM

Also most young technicians today do not know how to install vintage windshields, especially rubber gasket-ed windshields.

Corventure Dave

Date: February 10, 2022 06:45PM

BEWARE of made in China windshields!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2022 06:46PM by 66vairman.

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: February 10, 2022 07:30PM

I've said 'use Safelite' a few times - but it was always about BUYING your glass from Safelite and doing it yourself.

I've done several windshields - more than I have ever wanted to....not hard on a late.

Eric P
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: February 10, 2022 08:45PM

Are that where these are made?

[www.opgi.com]

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa coupe basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Date: February 10, 2022 08:57PM

Looks like Jim Brandberg might be selling windshields in Minnesota now. (Look at the location in the ad.)

[www.ebay.com]

Scott
Danville, In.
'66 Monza coupe

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: February 10, 2022 10:50PM

I ordered a LM windshield from Pilkington. Got what I thought was a good price. For an extra $65, they didn't use the Pilkington logo. They put on a copy of the original and dated it properly five weeks before the build date on my car.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Very near concours perfect.

File Name File Size Date Added Delete
Corsasmall.jpg

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 11, 2022 05:56AM

It's not me selling windshields. There's a company called Auto City Glass or something like that.

I have a guy who so far has done windshields for me because we are acquaintances but in general he hates doing old cars, it takes so long, the glass often doesn't fit right and the owners tend to be fussbudgets.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: February 11, 2022 06:01AM

I lot of safelite businesses are franchises , and they will still help

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: February 11, 2022 09:09AM

dhomuth Wrote:
> I ordered a LM windshield from Pilkington. Got what I thought was a good price. For an extra $65, they didn't use the Pilkington logo. They put on a copy of the original and dated it properly five weeks before the build date on my car.

I went to the Pilkington site for windshield glass and a statement read "Pilkington supplies windshields to professional installers". No catalog, no way to order a windshield.

So how did you get a windshield from Pilkington?

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: February 11, 2022 09:49AM

This was maybe 3-4 years or so ago. A local body shop was happy to oblige with the ordering.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Very near concours perfect.

File Name File Size Date Added Delete
Corsasmall.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2022 09:50AM by dhomuth.

Date: February 11, 2022 02:39PM

About three years ago, I noticed in a Summit Racing ad, they listed Pilkington as one of their suppliers. Somewhat surprised, because Pilkington is an English company, but evidently, they were extending their offerings. I got this number 1 800 848 1351 and talked to Randy. I wanted to know if they could supply a windshield for a 1960 BMW 700 Coupe; only about 3,500 700s were imported to the States, so finding a used one was near impossible. Randy communicated with England to see if any were in stock or if a production run was scheduled. I ended up waiting for about three months, cost was $300, and since it was delivered with a batch of other glass to their Indianapolis warehouse where I picked it up, I only paid an additional $50 for shipping. Like I said it's an old number, but might be worth a try. Good luck!

Scott
Danville, In.
'66 Monza coupe

Posted by: BigGeorgesVair ()
Date: February 11, 2022 05:54PM

I just recently bought a new windshield for my LM. the place is called Auto Glass Now. It took them a little while to get in, and ended up changing their vendor source. (they said Pilkington). It IS made in China but "looks good".. Part number is DW00659. this one has the green tinted band at the top.(which I didn't really want, but matches my car color, so I think I'm ok with that.
They are a franchise too, not sure how much of the country they cover, but can give them a shot if interested. The price sure was right...$117 out the door!
Thanks...George

George O¸
1967 Corvair 500 110/PG. in family since 1969 with 1200 miles(75k currently).

Attachments:

Date: February 12, 2022 10:02AM

BigGeorgesVair Wrote:
> I just recently bought a new windshield for my LM. the place is called Auto Glass Now. It took them a little while to get in, and ended up changing their vendor source. (they said Pilkington). It IS made in China but "looks good".. Part number is DW00659. this one has the green tinted band at the top.(which I didn't really want, but matches my car color, so I think I'm ok with that.
> They are a franchise too, not sure how much of the country they cover, but can give them a shot if interested. The price sure was right...$117 out the door!
> Thanks...George

Interesting -- Can you tell me if the "etched" name on the glass was Pilkington?
Thanks -

Posted by: BigGeorgesVair ()
Date: February 12, 2022 01:50PM

you know....that would have been smart of me to look at the 'etched' name...but I didn't. I wrapped up the windshield "real good" with protective wrapping until I get my bodywork completed to put it in the car. If I get 'squirrely', I'll unwrap and verify....but......confused smiley

George O¸
1967 Corvair 500 110/PG. in family since 1969 with 1200 miles(75k currently).

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: February 13, 2022 07:49AM

There's a place in Porterville, California, Golden State Auto Glass and Tint, that does great work. The owner has or had a 1965 Corvair, so he understands them. But he also does a lot of antique work anyway. His shop does everything from classic cars to modern. When he did mine a couple years ago, he told me that the glass itself was being shipped up from Bakersfield. I have no idea where it came from before that.

Golden State Auto Glass - Porterville

It also has the tint bar at the top. No generic names etched along the bottom. I have to look again but I don't believe there's any name along the bottom at all.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2022 07:56AM by playerpage.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.