Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 1965 Corsa Windshield replace? Not by Safelite!
Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: February 13, 2022 10:52AM

I found one through AutoGlass.net. I pick it up tomorrow in Charlotte NC. I have to install it myself. $200.00. Their warehouse is at the old Charlotte Fairgrounds.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gerg ()
Date: February 14, 2022 09:13AM

My local glass shop - that has done many smaller classic glass work for mw - said they would not install a windshield for me. They claimed getting the 'height' from the body wrong would leave too large a gap to the stainless trim. True or not (sounds possible) - sounds like a WEAK excuse from an automotive glass shop.

gerg
Monroe, LA

Current cars and other fun stuff -> [gregblakeney.smugmug.com]

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 14, 2022 09:40PM

gerg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My local glass shop - that has done many smaller classic glass work for mw - said they would not install a windshield for me. They claimed getting the 'height' from the body wrong would leave too large a gap to the stainless trim. True or not (sounds possible) - sounds like a WEAK excuse from an automotive glass shop.

There is some truth to the shops statement. The newer windshields are usually thinner, as claimed here before AND what I found with my new windshield. I used a slight thicker butyl bead on the LM four door and the trim fit well.

On the LM convertible it was a disaster. Not surprisingly convertible frames were more or less hand assembled and I had to actually go with a THINNER butyl bead than original to get the trim to fit on the glass. Fortunately I checked the frame height after I noticed the old glass was hitting the top and bottom frame metal. It WASN'T the glass, the windshield frame was 3/8" shorter top to bottom on ONE side!!!! So I had to fix that.

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: February 15, 2022 02:18AM

The ribbon seal is available in three thicknesses. 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8". I cannot find which one is recommended from the factory. The 3/8" is what most parts places stock but I do not recall which size I used in the past. Also is it a fact that newer windshields are thinner and what is the actual thickness of an original windshield. I plan on doing some measurements of heights of the new windshield, ribbon tape and channel depth today to help decide which ribbon to use.

Posted by: swi66 ()
Date: February 15, 2022 03:46AM

I went to Safelite and asked if they could pull my rear window and reseal it on my 67 Monza.
They said they would pull the rear window, but if there was any rust whatsoever, they would not reinstall the window until I had a body shop repair the rust with metal, no filler. I resealed it myself.

On the other hand.
I had a side window broken on my 79 Mercedes 280 SEL (beater car) It was an insurance job. I had actually found a junkyard which had the window glass for $80.
No, they had to supply the glass or they would not do it. 3 weeks to get the glass from Germany. They billed my insurance over $600.

Gary Swiatowy

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: February 15, 2022 05:03AM

Edward (irfgt),

I am vairy interested as to which size of ribbon seal you eventually get to work on your windshield.

Please post your results so that we can avoid "recreating the wheel".

Thanks,

Dean

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Heart of Georgia Corvair Club Webmaster
Springfest Webmaster

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.