Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Replacement Body plugs with hole for electrical and fuel
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 09, 2022 04:11PM

Clark's C30 assortment. Drawn by Larry Claypool via Clarks and Al Lane.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Replacement Body plugs with hole for electrical and fuel
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: February 09, 2022 06:51PM

On the 64 Greenbrier and our 66 More Door (Nov 65), I moved the battery cable and starter solenoid harness to the firewall grommet from the front shroud grommet. Configuration is now like what GM did on my 66 Coupe (May 66). Easier engine removal as cable and harness stays on vehicle. Also, less chance of elect4ial leads chafing fuel line.

Now I only need a single hole grommet in the front shield, but Clark's doesn't sell that one. But I found the oil dipstick tube grommet C96R is same size and is a bit firmer around the tube hole. So it should hold the fuel line better than a 2 hole grommet. When I removed More Door engine for camshaft replacement, the new 2 hole grommet was already ripped after 37 months of engine operation. It has another new 2 grommet installed, but I expect it will be replaced soon with the C96R.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: February 10, 2022 09:02AM

Thanks for posting, Matt. Saved for future reference.smileys with beer

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 11, 2022 06:14AM

Clarks will send one of those charts out for free. I've been keeping an assortment of all grommets on hand. Something from the auto parts that doesn't fit costs more. Bravo to Clarks for continuing to stock a wide assortment.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: February 12, 2022 04:07AM

Jim, they still will. But when I asked if they minded if I had it republished here, there good with it. They know it gets the info out there to a large group of Vair owners, Now people don't need to call them for a copy, which should save them some time and expense.

Plus as an added benefit to Clark's, I am cleaning up the sheet a bit. I hope to have them done in a few days. Then Clark's will have clean electronic file to send out instead of the jpgs of mimeograph copies of the sheete.

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: February 12, 2022 07:42AM

One problem with the sheet is that it does not show the diameter of the grommets to differentiate those. There are some grommets that will not fit the firewall because the diameter is different. I’m referring to the main body harness grommets “B” and “C” that go into the firewall. Also, the early two hole “B” sold by Clark’s does not have two large holes as depicted. One is very small and must be enlarged.

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Date: February 12, 2022 09:57AM

Once I am finished with cleaning up the sheets and Clark's accept my changes, you may see some improvement you might like.

If you have any other info that is pertinent, then send me a pm with suggestions. I will review it for incorporation. But is has to be based on GM & Clark's data.

I just completed sheet 2, so time is limited. I will send sheets with changes back to Clarks for acceptance on Monday.

Date: February 15, 2022 03:29AM

I sent the sheets to Clark's.

I have their response: "Thank you. I will pass this along to the office for approval and we will look into swapping this version into inventory. Adding the part numbers should help our customers find the right grommet."

I have emailed the sheets to Matt. Hopefully he will soon replace the ones in his original post.

I cleaned up all the text, so it is clear and legible. I also added the part number and dimension for each grommet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.