Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Vent Window Rubber for '65-69 Corvairs sad smiley
Posted by: Allan Lacki ()
Date: January 29, 2022 12:04PM

I'm in the process of replacing the vent window rubber in my 1966 Corvair. Has anybody here had the following experience?

The old rubber snapped into the channels provided by the frame, but the new ones don't snap in. They simply get inserted into the channels and flop out. Yes, I'm aware that you need to push them in hard!

Ut appears the manufacturer assumes the customer should glue them in with weatherstripping adhesive. I bought the repro vent window rubbers from Clarks. Illustration attached.

I can't identify the manufacturer. Out on the internet, Steele Rubber Products has a couple of tutorials on how to install the rubbers on 1960s Chevy cars & pickup trucks, and the tutorials show exactly how the rubbers should snap in place WITHOUT using any adhesive. That's the way I want them to work.

Al Lacki sad smiley

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vent Window Rubber for '65-69 Corvairs sad smiley
Date: January 29, 2022 12:37PM

I should point out that the bottom edges of the rubbers DO snap in like they should. It's the part that runs up the side that do not. Illustration shown here:

Attachments:
Posted by: 1STLM ()
Date: January 29, 2022 03:39PM

Allan, I tried to use Steele's seals on my 66 also and had the same experience. After gluing them in and getting poor results, I returned them for credit. My originals were dried out and had minor cracks. I decided to rejuvenate them using 99% isopropyl alcohol, winter green oil and silicone oil. After soaking a couple days they came out nice and shiny and pliable. I then filled the cracks with a quality black silicone. I my opinion, the results were superior to using poor fitting aftermarket seals. If you are interested in doing this I can look for the recipe again.

Brice

66 Corsa Turbo Convertible

Bozeman, Montana

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: January 29, 2022 06:44PM

Clark's seals are Steele products. I too am not impressed with their products.

On my Arizona car, I was lucky in that I had one side NOS in stock, and found the other side in a used assembly. It was a really nice used one, after searching through a half dozen used assemblies.

-Mark

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: January 29, 2022 06:58PM

I bought a pair in the early 90’s, after their suggestions to make them fit, I finally got ahold of Joan Clark. She said no, they’re not exact reproach, I pointed out that the catalog said they were. She then said “they’re as exact as you’re gonna get”, they had at that point changed the description in the catalog.

Seems odd that they can’t get that right in the year 2022????

Re: Vent Window Rubber for '65-69 Corvairs - SOLVED! grinning smiley
Date: February 01, 2022 07:39AM

Hello Again Everybody, I am happy to tell you all about how this was resolved. I was wrong. As it turns out, the diagonal part of the rubber didn't snap in originally. Here is an email I received from Clark's Corvair Parts that explains how they were affixed to the frame:

The original vent window weather strips were held into the diagonal channel with four metal clips. The rubber had four indents in it where the clips were crimped on.

When the weather strips were reproduced it was determined that making them install exactly like original would make the parts a lot more expensive and they are already expensive the way they are currently made.

We did not produce these weather strips and while we do get some pieces from Steele Rubber, these do not come from Steele. I have attached a few pictures of the originals.

We recommend using a little bit of weather strip adhesive to hold the strips in the channel. The factory used a bit of body sealer clay to waterproof the seals so weather strip adhesive will replace the clips and the sealer clay.

Using adhesive for these has worked fine for many years and once they are installed there is no way to tell how they were installed. We understand wanting to make the car as original as possible but these pieces are already very expensive.

Would you pay double the cost for them to be more correct? Would the average person pay that? Unfortunately it is one of the compromises we have to make.

And so, I'll use adhesive as recommended. smiling bouncing smiley

Attachments:

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: February 01, 2022 08:08AM

Iirc, those do look different than the ones I got way back when, those came nowhere near filling out at the bottom of the seal, they had a completely different shape than original.

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: February 01, 2022 11:47AM

Could the old clips not be reused?

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: February 05, 2022 05:50PM

Replaced these in two different cars. Parts from Clarks worked well, but it was not an easy task.

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe-W100181
Earliest '61 Alive?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.