Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Coming Vairy Soon Now, New and Improved Robson Spring Loaded Idler
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 21, 2022 05:13PM

FINALLY!

I can see daylight in the production of the Robson idlers!!!!!

The start of the first production run is started and what I need to do now is figure what the costs are so I can set a price.

I have made some improvements to the idler in that I have made larger bushings than what was originally supplied so now the bushings should not just push into the aluminum of the oil filter adapter. You can clearly see the difference. This setup is race proven by myself with a modified original setup, the larger bushings have no issues! After I figured out what my belt problem was the Belt lasted for 2 complete race weekends with well over 6,500 rpm. So the Idler works.

I just want to put this out there, I know it has been a while since I mentioned anything about this but I need you guys to know that I had no blueprints to work with and had to reverse engineer everything. That is all done now and I have all the parts on the way to build a few of the idlers. I will offer pretty much the full gamut from bare, or bearing just included to fully assembled with bearing and pulley and the option of an aluminum pulley.

I will do another post in about 2 weeks, when I return, with pricing and taking orders when I know what the price will be.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coming Vairy Soon Now, New and Improved Robson Spring Loaded Idler
Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: January 21, 2022 05:51PM

hot smiley

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: January 21, 2022 06:10PM

Sounds and looks great Ken !

1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1998 Honda Prelude Dirt track car
1967 Crown V8 under construction
Mike Levine
Cumming Georgia
North of Atlanta

Posted by: link9711 ()
Date: January 21, 2022 06:18PM

Hi can you upload a pic of it installed so we can see the final setup.smiling smiley

link9711
63 monza spyder
san antonio TX

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: January 21, 2022 07:10PM

Idler looks awesome. Refresh my/our memory as to what your belt issue was on the racecar.

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: January 21, 2022 08:44PM

Ken,
I bought one of the idlers from Lon when he was selling them, but never got it mounted. When I was at the Corvair show in Albuquerque last October, a turbo owner from Salt Lake had added a belt guide to his idler.

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa coupe basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Attachments:

Date: January 22, 2022 05:36AM

Wagon Master Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Idler looks awesome. Refresh my/our memory as to what your belt issue was on the racecar.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My issue was the fan bearing had slid down into the top cover throwing off the belt geometry. Once I changed the top cover all was good.
Here is a good top cover sitting on the mill with a tool I made to set the height when installing.

Now here is the bad bearing that sunk into the housing. See how the gasket surface is off the table? This top cover now has the bearing removed and the hole welded closed for use with a vertical fan.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: Willt65 ()
Date: January 22, 2022 10:53AM

Scott, I had purchased one from Lon about 15 years ago, and it had the same guard already on it. Just an FYI. Thanks!

scottymac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ken,
> I bought one of the idlers from Lon when he was selling them, but never got it mounted. When I was at the Corvair show in Albuquerque last October, a turbo owner from Salt Lake had added a belt guide to his idler.

Will Teeter
Flintstone, MD
65 Corsa project

Date: January 22, 2022 01:31PM

As far as the guard goes the new ones from Lon did not have them. I talked with Lon about that after the change. He told me that most people didn't put them on and had no issues. I have not had any issues with mine on the race car.

The reason GM put a guard there is to keep the belt slack from jumping the pulley under acceleration. With the spring loaded idler there is no slack because the tensioner takes it up.

The new tensioners will not have a guard.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: matchlessmo ()
Date: January 23, 2022 07:58AM

Hello Ken will the new Idler come with a better cap screw! Mine broke twice, and engine was rebuilt and everything on belt setup was new! Thats why I took it off in 2009 only got around 6,000 miles before cap screw broke, thks

. .

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: January 23, 2022 03:53PM

I, too, have one of Lon's on my 180 Corsa. You can see it working as the revs increase & it takes up the slack from the expanding belt. I don't have the belt retainer either & don't believe I need one. This is a much better design than the one I had on my '64 convert slalom car back in the '70's. It wasn't much more than a 1" dia. coil spring attached at the top of the stock idler bracket & a screw on the rear body structure behind the engine. It worked fine up to around 7000 RPM's. I never threw a belt with that one either.
I am glad to see the new design is becoming available again.

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.