Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Earliest Engines
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: September 23, 2022 06:33AM

Didn't some of the early heads have bolt on push rod guide plates?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: September 23, 2022 12:25PM

Jim, "simple" and "complex" names came from the Clark's catalog about 15 years ago. Its not listed that way anymore to locate the reference but, as I recall, in an effort to sell off their inventory of the old simple ones, they denoted the difference that way for the potential buyers. Essentially, it is "early" and "late" by another name.

Crawford

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 23, 2022 01:14PM

Simple and complex is good for me. If both were in front of me and you asked me to ID them on those terms I would be able to without knowing anything about Corvairs.
I think cover is a good description of the extra stuff on the complex seal.
As a guess I would think the idea was to prevent the seal from having to deal with high pressure oil being shot out from between the gear teeth. The slinger being more used as a shield until they built the shield into the seal. I would further guess it was a bean counter change. I would think the slinger would do a better job.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 138 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 27, 2022 10:43AM

Just a quick follow up. We removed the bell housing after running the engine 15 minutes and found evidence of the snap ring that holds the slinger to the crankshaft rubbing against the complex seal. I had bought a simple seal that came yesterday so we switched it out. It was only rubbing in intermittent places a small amount, hard telling if it would have worn through eventually. Some thrust forces on the crankshaft in actual use may have caused more than what it experienced running on the cart with no real load to speak of. I suppose there's about 6 guys in the nation that really care about '60 crankshaft seals but there you have it.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 27, 2022 12:21PM

I'm one of the 6. Thanks!

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 138 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: September 27, 2022 01:42PM

Good stuff Jim! We are always learning something.

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: September 28, 2022 04:45PM

Touché, Jim! These concerns had merit! How often is it that our fears are misplaced? Ha-ha!

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Date: September 29, 2022 05:50AM

Following to see what you end up with. If you guys saw what I was running youd probably agree that the 61 80hp is more reliable than a mid 90s Toyota Camry with about the same maintenance records. I dont know if mine has ever been re-rung, but 1/4 of my cooling capacity on the right head was destroyed by mouse urine and ive been running it for years now like this. This past summer I sat in gridlock traffic on a 100 degree day for over an hour. The kids in the back seat were upset, but the engine didnt care. Mine doesn't have full fin cylinders. The only reason I haven't replace the heads and thrown in new rings is because it starts with no chokes on a 30 degree day and runs like a top. I just cant justify pulling it apart yet. I have a set of rebuilt 62 98hp heads. I have the rest of the motor also but was only going to use the heads.

1961 Corvair 700 Sedan - 3sp - Gasoline Heat - Lowered a bit - Rust in Progress

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.