Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: O/T: Need Advice On Powerful Plug-In Electric Heater For Garage
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: December 07, 2021 07:16PM

Joel
You could rig up a regular home type thermostat to control it. You should be able to pick up a dryer for free and digital HVAC thermostats can be found for under $20.

For direct control you need a typical baseboard heat thermostat, as they are good for 22 Amps at 240 Volts. The typical HVAC thermostat (now they are all digital) can be used, but needs a 24 VAC control circuit and a contactor for the heating elements. Maybe there already is one in the dryer?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: December 07, 2021 07:41PM

Am Mel
A home-built Hydronic Heating system? eye rolling smiley
I can't imagine it would be efficient, nor effective for the time and money invested.

Actually quite simple and have been written about in antique car publications, using PEX in the slab for use up north. Keeps the floor warm, so comfort is good. You do run the water heater (no need to heat hot water grinning smiley) all the time, but set it 50 °F or so (the water temperature) to keep the chill off the floor. When you want to work out there, you can set it up some.

I do agree, about impossible to do after the slab is poured!winking smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: December 07, 2021 07:55PM

Yes.
My comment about efficiency, and effectiveness was based SOLELY on running the convoluted system FIRST suggested.
Other than the difficulty/impossibility of post pour install, I would LOVE a heated garage floor, and can see using a plain home style water heater for such use. thumbs up cool smiley thumbs up
Better plan it carefully though, so you don't run any lines where your Lift Anchors are going to go. grinning smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: December 07, 2021 09:04PM

Am Mel
Better plan it carefully though, so you don't run any lines where your Lift Anchors are going to go. grinning smiley

And that's why I do not have PEX in my garage slab. I wanted two lifts and floor pots (where you tie cars down to pull their frames/unibodies the old way), and just seemed impossible to know exactly where these items would go. Of course, so far I have only one lift installed....angry smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: December 08, 2021 09:17AM

I guess I got mixed up there. Thanks everybody.

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: December 08, 2021 10:22AM

I'd assume a home in such a cold climate doesn't have the washer/dryer in the garage (or there is a very unhappy wife). But on the off chance that you do, you could get double duty out of drying clothes AND heating the garage space at the same time by venting the (ELECTRIC) dryer in the garage instead of outside. Draping a tarp over and around the area you are working in would reduce the volume to be heated.

I'm curious how much do these heated garages add to the monthly gas/electric bill? It would seem you need to heat them often or keep them warm all winter. Here in Sothern California when we get our version of a "cold spell" (40F) people are bemoaning the $200-$300 spike in there bill. I can't imagine the cost of keeping a large garage perpetually warn in freezing temperatures. I have no frame of reference because I have heated my home exclusively with wood the past 30 years.

You guys who live in cold climates have my admiration. Whereas I spent my first 10 years in New Jersey where it does snow the last 54 years have been spent in Southern California. I also have a condition called Raynauds where my blood vessels constrict and below 85 degrees my hands and feet are cold. It is a strange thing to be lying down in my 85 degree bedroom on a warm night and my feet are like ice.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 08, 2021 11:22AM

Using electricity depends on your local KWH cost.. In the PNW we have lots of Hydro Electric power..

I currently pay 10.5 cents, was 5.5 cents in 2005 when I moved in. We get snow every 3-5 years...>y bill ranges from $60- 200 a month 2400 sq. ft.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: December 08, 2021 11:59AM

I don't know the kilowatt hour price off hand, but Fargo has been much cheaper for us electrically than California was. California gave me a special medical rate because of my epilepsy diagnosis, and still we had bills of upwards of $700 in the summer before we got wise and figured out a system for only heating and cooling portions of our house at a time. Installing a couple of window air conditioners in some of the rooms was actually much cheaper than running our central heating all hours of the day and night. Replacing our pool pump with a model that wasn't built in 1979 helped as well.

Here, central heating and air conditioning is all we have, because they keep the houses extremely well sealed in order to well you know keep the cold out. Still, we haven't broken $200 a month even in the winter. Our home there and our home here are roughly the same square footage.

I've tried a couple of in home heaters, the ones we use in the kids rooms, out in the garage but they don't seem to make any kind of dent. Somebody local, who of course has experience, mentioned I could probably find a 5KW heater that will plug in and not pop my system, so I'm going to see if I can find one of those. I hope I don't have to run it daily as just mathematically that's going to spike our bill.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2021 12:02PM by playerpage.

Date: December 08, 2021 12:37PM

Eric, that what I linked to!! 4.8 kw 240volt 30 amp circuit. $99 shipped.

...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: December 08, 2021 04:14PM

How about a Mini-Split heater/ Air Cond unit? I am planning on one for my garage. (We never get near zero here, though).

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site: [www.perfvair.com]

Located in lovely San Jose, California

Posted by: nirvairna ()
Date: December 08, 2021 05:11PM

you could get double duty out of drying clothes AND heating the garage space at the same time by venting the (ELECTRIC) dryer in the garage instead of outside.

you really don't want to vent your dryer into the garage, there will be way too much moisture from the dryer and you will have rust and mold problems.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: December 08, 2021 05:48PM

Great input here.
Nirvairna is correct! If you are wanting a Sauna in your garage, then by all means go for it.
Wittsend, $200 to $300 spikes ? ? ? YIKES!
I spend about $350 to $400 to fill my "Furnace Oil" Tank each fall. (for those unaware, furnace oil is actually just off-road diesel)
That will last me all winter.
And yes, it does get cold here.
Nothing like Fargo, but we regularly get down into the twenties, with plunges into the teens, and I have seen ice covering half of our Salt Water marina.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: December 08, 2021 06:58PM

Eric
5KW heater that will plug in and not pop my system

Ohms law. E=IR, P=EI (E=Voltage) therefore 5000 watts divided by 120 volts is 41.6666 Amps, yes it will pop a 20 Amp breaker. Matt has it right, need 240 Volts on a 30 Amp breaker (#10 AWG wire) to make 5000 watts work.

As I stated way early in this thread, if you only have a 20 Amp 120 Volt circuit the largest heater you can have is about 2000 watts. You could use 2400 watts, but that is fully loaded, so not a good idea to do that full time.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: vairsUPnorth ()
Date: December 08, 2021 07:51PM

Our church is building a 1200 sqft garage to house our passenger transport van and snow removal equipment (Cat 910M w/ Metalpless blade, Kubota w/ snowblower). We plan to install a NG fired overhead radiant tube heater such as one of these;

[spaceray.com]

I think you could get by with ~50,000 BTU unit for your garage and save a lot of money firing it with propane. In my experience 62F radiant heat feels like 75F of FWA.

Dale Dewald
President - Corvanatics
Hancock, MI

Date: December 08, 2021 09:57PM

Sorry Matt,

I scrolled past, thinking "I'll get back to that later" and then I never did.

Looks nice. Side note: is there such a thing as a 240 extension cord?

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Date: December 08, 2021 10:54PM

Eric..sure....YOU Can make one. Go your local ACE, etc. They'll sell you the cable and ends.... 3 wires! They'll probably assemble it for you.

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: December 09, 2021 03:10AM

playerpage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry Matt,
>
> I scrolled past, thinking "I'll get back to that later" and then I never did.
>
> Looks nice. Side note: is there such a thing as a 240 extension cord?

From my experience I have found it cheaper to get an already made extension chord. Look for a welder extension chord. I could not touch the cost if I sourced local parts and plugs.

As an example 25' 10 gauge

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
62' Wagon rebuild MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: KenHenry ()
Date: December 09, 2021 06:25AM

Keep in mind 5000W is about 17,000 (3.41BTU per Watt). Not nothing but might not make a huge dent in a 3 car garage... I'm seeing around 9 cents per kilowatt hour in your area. If correct, figure 45 cent per hour when the thing is on. Ken

Ken Henry, Rochester, NY USA
1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: December 09, 2021 11:12AM

[engext.engg.ksu.edu]

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: December 09, 2021 12:26PM

Thanks for posting the Kansas State heating cost comparison! Great stuff.smileys with beer

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.