Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
testing turbo carbs
Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: November 27, 2021 09:20AM

Has anyone had any success testing turbo carbs on a NA Corvair engine using a reversed turbo intake manifold and a adapter for the YH carb.

These carbs are so finicky, it makes sense to me to test them this way before installing them on a actual turbo engine.

Ideas or experience ??

maybe even hook up linkage and road test ??

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: testing turbo carbs
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 27, 2021 09:38AM

I've always thought "road test" on N/A engine would be ideal!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 27, 2021 10:55AM

There a more than few folks driving around with a carboned up or broken turbo , EI and N/A engine

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: November 27, 2021 12:52PM

True, but not helpful ???

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: November 27, 2021 03:11PM

Considering having to fab the parts to do it, and having an extra engine around just for the purpose of testing the carb, and is it on a dedicated testing stand, etc......doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense. The NA motor never gets boost either, so why bother?

I just recently took the stock carb off, the car was parked for 7 years, same gas as when I parked it, get fuel to the carb with electric pump, started right up, no choke either. Rebuilt the carb 15(?) years ago, used a cheap Holley fuel pressure regulator. No issues autocrossing, the only problem I had was when you get above 9-10 psi it would go very rich. I’ve used at least 5 different ones on 3 cars, and apart from making max power, I don’t understand why so many have problems with them. Blackhawk Engineering makes 5 different metering rods.

Call me crazy, but it sure seems easier to just put the thing on, and make any adjustments on the car it’s going on.

YMMV

Rocco

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: November 27, 2021 03:15PM

I rebuilt my 150 carb when I first bought my Spyder, nothing unusual then when I switched to a 180 carb no problems. Both carbs didn’t like a 95 degree day Hot Soak but that’s about it

1965 Crown V8 Racer
1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1979 Mazda RX7

Mike Levine

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: November 27, 2021 06:08PM

It kinda sorta made sense at first to try testing a YH on an NA, but the reality is that when the carb is used on a turbo, you had better test it on a turbo... the reason is that the turbo is actually spinning and trying to do something even during light loads. Years ago, when I first started tuning my EFI, it drove me nuts when tuning for light loads, because it would typically go overly rich, and then when I tuned that out, then it went way lean. Then I realized that the reason this kept happening was because of the turbo was varying its speed a lot at the same rpm and load in response to tuning changes, and it made it real easy to figure out how to take care of the issue.
The other place where an NA engine test of the carb could be inaccurate is boost, as the carb does have a strong tendency to go rich, particularly at peak boost... this has everything to do with the tremendous air speed going through that venturi... the NA engine aint gonna do that! Test it on a turbo with a wideband O2 sensor and be done in a afternoon! this was how my YH was dialed in, and was a pretty sweeto set-up except for how much it limited the boost.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.