Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Engine Option Opinions for Wagon
Posted by: PGVair ()
Date: November 19, 2021 03:45PM

I'd like to get opinions for an engine I plan to build to go in my '62 Monza wagon. It has a PG transmission.

I have a '64 FC block I plan to use. I also have LM 95, 110 and 140 heads. I also have a 140 engine for a PG with the retarted crank gear. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Wade Lanning

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Engine Option Opinions for Wagon
Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: November 19, 2021 04:00PM

Hi Wade,
My opinion is go with the LM 95 heads. That way you can run regular gas. That's what I built for my Rampy. (I haven't driven it yet though).

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: TexasAg77 ()
Date: November 19, 2021 05:07PM

Have always heard the 95 heads are a good way to go to get to use regular gas. Richard Payne is rebuilding the original block from our LW as a 102 as a complete running one was available to rob parts from. New pistons, rings, etc, but wanted to have the correct block for oil fill and all.

My .02... smiling smiley

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs
'61 Lakewood,,63 Vert, '83 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler- [www.cj-8.com]

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: November 19, 2021 05:09PM

I've always thought while 140's are fun the 110/PG is best ever combo.

But with fuel prices going up everyday the 95's are the smartest choice.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 19, 2021 05:14PM

PGVair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd like to get opinions for an engine I plan to build to go in my '62 Monza wagon. It has a PG transmission.
>
> I have a '64 FC block I plan to use. I also have LM 95, 110 and 140 heads. I also have a 140 engine for a PG with the retarted crank gear. Your thoughts are appreciated.
>
> Wade Lanning

The 140HP PG engine has been discussed here before. My experience, and the general consensus here, is the 140HP PG engine isn't much quicker than the 110HP with a PG. You also have the complexity of a 140HP carburetors to deal with.

The 110HP is a good combination with a PG. Yes you have to use premium fuel, but unless you drive the car full time, the higher fuel cost is minor. The 110 HP higher compression engine's "seat of the pants" is more responsive vs the 95HP. That said it's not a huge difference.

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: November 19, 2021 06:21PM

My current wagon -
Original block relieved for 164 crank. 66 95 heads, 304 cam.
Also has a high stall torque convertor. I am quite happy with it. No ping on cheap gas and it pulls hard.

Nothing wrong with a 140 if you want, but yeah, not much difference with a pg from a 110 or so.

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: November 20, 2021 04:27AM

I would go with modified 95 heads, that way you can have fun with 87 octane gas.

When I say modified that would be the step removed with the Singh groove and some port work done at a minimum.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: November 20, 2021 05:21AM

Ken, what cam do you recommend with the 95 heads? How well will a 110/140 cam work with 95 heads?

Wade

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: November 20, 2021 06:57AM

I got the cam for my FC engine from Ray Sedman. He called it his "Torque cam". I don't have the specs on it. Probably won't get a chance to experience it for a year or so yet.

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: November 20, 2021 07:09AM

It's hard to get air cleaners on a 140 in a Wagon or FC.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: November 20, 2021 08:50AM

140 PG engine rebuilt with high press fit valve seats,Alum Bronze exhaust valve guides, GM valves [ aftermarket stainless are crap ]

Use good quality pistons and rings.
But not chrome top ring.

Use the 140 PG cam as is , or the 304 [ My choice ] advanced 2-4 degrees.

Mill off the head secondary pads and weld plugs in the holes.

Run stock carbs bored out .090 on the venturiis wit 54or 55 jets.

Have built several like this and will take a stock 140 to 60 MPH, and get better fuel mileage.
Like all ideas, Yours may vary.
Considerably

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 20, 2021 08:10PM

Since the air cleaner issue makes the 140 not a plug and play in a wagon I would build the 110.

Run 93, since you are not using as a daily driver. I run 93 in my daily driver, 70+ miles a day, since it is the Buick Park Avenue Ultra. Hey, you have to pay to have fun!smileys with beer

My 95 PG 66 Monza is not as much fun as the 110 PG I used to run.winking smileygrinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: November 21, 2021 07:00AM

Paulsgt Wrote:
> I got the cam for my FC engine from Ray Sedman. He called it his "Torque cam". I don't have the specs on it.

I would be vairy interested in the specs. of this cam if you could find them. I also have a "high torque" cam from another vendor to compare it to.

Date: November 21, 2021 08:17AM

Thanks for all the advice. Another factor is that we recently have gas stations offering 90 octane ethanol free gas. We haven't had it available in many years. I don't know how long it will be available though.

Wade

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: November 21, 2021 08:26AM

Someone mentioned 93 octane. Around here 91 non-oxy is as good as it gets mainstream. Actually that should be plenty for anything I'd want to be driving a lot.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: November 21, 2021 09:03AM

We have 93 octane with 10% ethanol at the same station as 90 non-ethanol.

Wade

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: November 21, 2021 02:26PM

PGVair Wrote:
> Ken, what cam do you recommend with the 95 heads? How well will a 110/140 cam work with 95 heads?
>
> Wade
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well, If you run a 3.27 gear I will say my FC cam! It is similar to Ray's cam but I have my own numbers in it. I have put a key in it to raise the HP/Torque curve for 3.55 but then I have done the calc's for the Ultra and 40 mph in low is only 4200 rpm! Still you would be very happy with a 3.27 gear in the wagon. Oh, and remember me saying 87 octane use?

With the mods I suggested the 95 heads basically become 110 heads without the spark knock issue and the 891 cam would work very well. Then if you want no exhaust backpressure you can put 140 stacks in the 95 heads but then how far do you want to go with a build???? LOL

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2021 02:27PM by vairmech.

Posted by: vairsUPnorth ()
Date: November 21, 2021 06:36PM

FWIW I think you can use 110 heads also. Ken built the engine in our '65 Greenbrier using his cam (2 deg retarded for even more torque) and 110 heads I obtained from Michael LeVeque. These heads were set up for aircraft use (but never picked up) with deep seats, cc'ed chambers and [as I recall] the center nub removed. The only thing missing was the Singh groove Ken normally cuts. This engine pushes our GB through a 3.27 axle. I have about 30k miles on this engine all on 87 octane gasoline and I have never had it knock or ping.

The 2 deg advance on the cam was probably overkill. I drive it like my diesel trucks; let out the clutch in 1st at idle to get rolling, then accelerate away. The engine is turning 2600 RPM at 60 MPH for a nice quiet cruise. At ~3800 RPM this engine begins to run out of steam but who wants to go 85 MPH in a Greenbrier?

Dale Dewald
President - Corvanatics
Hancock, MI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.