Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
gas in oil
Posted by: corvairdoug ()
Date: October 16, 2021 12:56PM

So this is part 2 of my earlier post... I found that there is gas in the oil. When that happens, how do you figure out if it's a carb problem or a fuel pump problem? I don't want to start throwing parts at the car hoping I hit the right problem....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: gas in oil
Posted by: jazzworkerbee ()
Date: October 16, 2021 02:15PM

When that happened to my car (before I bought it), it was the fuel pump. The ethanol in the fuel wrecked the diaphragm and it leaked all over, causing a fire. One of the first things I did was to switch to an electric pump.

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: October 16, 2021 05:05PM

If the gas was getting in the oil through the carburetor you would most likely be posting, 'My car won't start, my car won't run, my car barely runs and is belching out black smoke.'

There can be conditions where a hot, parked car might boil fuel out the bowl and it eventually leaks past the rings into the oil. But if you have no drivability issues that is not likely the case. The balance on the scale tips strongly to the fuel pump.

I JUST got to your next post (it was further down the list) "Gas from right tailpipe, runs rough" So, yes, NOW that there has been a descriptive isolation to one side (not mentioned in this post) perhaps the fuel pump doesn't apply.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2021 05:10PM by wittsend.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 17, 2021 12:53PM

wittsend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If the gas was getting in the oil through the carburetor you would most likely be posting, 'My car won't start, my car won't run, my car barely runs and is belching out black smoke.'
>
> There can be conditions where a hot, parked car might boil fuel out the bowl and it eventually leaks past the rings into the oil. But if you have no drivability issues that is not likely the case. The balance on the scale tips strongly to the fuel pump.
>
> I JUST got to your next post (it was further down the list) "Gas from right tailpipe, runs rough" So, yes, NOW that there has been a descriptive isolation to one side (not mentioned in this post) perhaps the fuel pump doesn't apply.

THIS^^^^, is why it is best to stick to one thread per problem!
Multiple threads, and "Part 1" followed by "Part 2"'s get Vairy confusing, and a LOT of important info is lost.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.