Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Dimmable LEDs for dash illumination. source?
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: October 15, 2021 09:04PM

Yeah - A search really showed nothing. Anybody have good luck with a brand/model/source for the Corsa instrument illumination?

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site: [www.perfvair.com]

Located in lovely San Jose, California

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dimmable LEDs for dash illumination. source?
Posted by: gbullman ()
Date: October 16, 2021 05:17AM

I used bulbs from SuperBrightLEDs and quite happy with the results. They are brighter than the incandescent bulbs but at lowest dim setting are good for night driving.

If you’re interested I’ll dig up what I ordered and installed.

First photo is full brightness, 2nd is minimum dim.

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Attachments:

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: October 16, 2021 07:25AM

Gary, I'd like the info. I have led's in my Spyder and they still are not bright enough.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Date: October 16, 2021 07:35AM

Here is the thread on Corvair Forum when I was planning and doing the dash light on my 66 Corsa.

https://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=16696&p=115783&hilit=LED#p115783]Corvair Forum Thread[/url]

It talks about color choices, which ones to leave incandescent, etc.

Gary

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 16, 2021 07:58AM

On my end or does that link not work as intended?

Posted by: Beers ()
Date: October 16, 2021 08:12AM

I think this is the thread Gary was referring to

[www.corvairforum.com]

‘63 Monza Spyder convertible [www.corvairforum.com]
SF Bay Area, CA

Posted by: jazzworkerbee ()
Date: October 16, 2021 08:49AM

I’ll be adding LEDs to my dash this winter!

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 16, 2021 09:35AM

I did some experimenting with LEDS - BLUE, GREEN, RED, BRIGHT WHITE, SOFT WHITE.

Kind of a personal choice for color, BUT I did notice the only color range that gave a good contrast between the gauge numbers and orange needles was the SOFT WHITE. Looks the same as with incandescent bulbs, but brighter.

The dimmable function works, but it is not linear per the dimmer knob like with the incandescent bulbs. The LEDS dim until about 50% of the knobs rotation, then go dark. Then again in a Corsa dash there isn't much need to dim the gauge lamps unless you're out on a dark country road.

I used Superbrite # BA9S-WWHP5 (dimmable) for the gauges. Keep the incandescent bulbs for the HI/LO BEAM (LED is distracting it's so bright). Due to socket polarity and other issues keep the FAN/GEN and OIL/TEMP incandescent bulbs.

NOTE: As with the newer incandescent bulbs, LEDs won't fit in the tachometer due to the clear bulb enclosures - you'll have to remove them. Not an issue as long as the socket holes are NOT left open for anytime longer than changing the bulb.

For the turn indicators I sued Superbrite #BA9S-GHP5 (green). Even in the convertible with the top down I can see them!! Also used the BA9S-GHP5 in the heater control lamp socket.

Just my two cents.

Date: October 17, 2021 05:48AM

Exactly what I did per the recommendations I had received. I’m not going to lie, I look forward to driving at night because the dash looks so good.

I also installed halogen headlights which provide excellent light, especially with high beams.

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Date: October 17, 2021 12:30PM

I goofed --- I called the Superbrite led # BA9S-WWHP5 a "soft white", it is actually referred to as a "warm white" about the same wavelenght as the light an incandescent bulb.

What happened to Seth?

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: October 17, 2021 03:25PM

Busy-Busy! Gary and 66Vairman - Thanks to you both for the Info. Back to the web to order some up!

Date: October 18, 2021 05:12AM

You're quite welcome, this is a relatively easy update with very good results. My turn signal flash a little fast with the significantly less load of the indicators as LEDs but still fine in my opinion.

66vairman, are you 66vairguy on Corvair Forum? If yes thank you for the recommendations in the first place, I followed what you suggested and saved me a bit of trial and error.

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 18, 2021 06:22AM

66vairman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: As with the newer incandescent bulbs, LEDs won't fit in the tachometer due to the clear bulb enclosures - you'll have to remove them.

I have this to do this winter. Are you removing the bub enclosures or using original bulbs in that location?

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio 45840

Date: October 18, 2021 08:57AM

Wagon Master Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 66vairman Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> NOTE: As with the newer incandescent bulbs, LEDs won't fit in the tachometer due to the clear bulb enclosures - you'll have to remove them.
>
> I have this to do this winter. Are you removing the bub enclosures or using original bulbs in that location?

Not sure who the question is for, but myself I remove clear plastic tachometer bulb enclosures. Typically I find them melted or already broken due to the installation of the taller incandescent replacement bulbs (same part #, but now are made with a tall glass envelop). A lot of creative speculation on why the bulb enclosures were there. I can only guess they were to keep debris out of the tachometer after it was built, but before it was installed in the car at the factory.

The little foam blocks on the backside of the tachometer dial are another "speculative" part. I finally figured why those are there - they are a simple way of blocking light at the dial face needle hole so you don't get an odd reflection on the lens at night with the gauge lights on.

Date: October 18, 2021 10:52AM

Seth - Superbrite sale ending soon -- [www.superbrightleds.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.