Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Indicator Signal bulb removal help, pull/twist?
Posted by: Mjposner ()
Date: October 12, 2021 05:36AM

I asked about this in another thread, but everyone who helped assumed I meant the rear or front signals when I meant the dash indicator signal (my bad).

I can barely reach the bulb with one hand, how do I get bulb out.

When signal is used, rear light works, dash and front do not.

Stopped working after the stalk became loose and I pulled wheel to tighten stalk nut.

I checked front bulb, it was good, so its either indicator bulb or switch.

1965 Corvair Corsa 140
Regal red over Red/Black Interior

Mods/Options:
Wood telescoping Steering Wheel
Clock (correct twice a day)
tinted Windshield
4 Speed manual
Rear Ant
passenger side mirror
electric fuel pump
Vintique type 30 rally whels

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Indicator Signal bulb removal help, pull/twist?
Posted by: azdave ()
Date: October 12, 2021 05:42AM

Mjposner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stopped working after the stalk became loose and I pulled wheel to tighten stalk nut.
>
> I checked front bulb, it was good, so its either indicator bulb or switch.

If you pulled the steering wheel you might have upset the switch inside the column. Dash and front indicators power though there. Here is an image showing the contacts inside the switch. Did you loose both sides or only a left or right signal?

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: gbullman ()
Date: October 12, 2021 06:53AM

If both front lights and indicators are not working then it is very likely the switch (rear lights have a different path to accommodate brake lights).

As for your question with the bulbs, all bulbs in the dash the socket just pulls out, then the bulb is a push in and slight CCW turn for it to pop out.

I've gotten to the point I just pull the driver's seat out to do any work under the dash. My days of contorting myself to fit in that limited space and then actually position my arms to do something are over. With the seat out it isn't that bad getting up behind the dash.

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 12, 2021 08:54AM

Put another known good tested bulb in the front socket. Test it in the rear socket.

If it doesn't work, check the ground for that unit. If still don't work, make sure you have power at the socket button for the turn signal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2021 08:57AM by Lane66m.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 12, 2021 10:52AM

As stated already, front and dash are on same circuit. If both are out, typically it is the switch. Or could be the connector for the switch pulled slightly apart.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: October 12, 2021 02:38PM

To be clear left signal works fine, right signal only works in the rear, front and indicator both out. Moving right front bulb to left confirmed that bulb is good. So its either a bad indicator bulb or the switch

1965 Corvair Corsa 140

Mods/Options:
tinted Windshield
4 Speed manual
Rear Ant
passenger side mirror
electric fuel pump

Date: October 12, 2021 04:12PM

It has been stated a few times before. The dash turn indicator not working is usually a sign of a bad front bulb. You say the rear turn light works and front doesn't for the right turn.

A known good working bulb tested in a rear socket placed in the front turn can process out if original bulb is good. May look good but could be bad. Ohm check will also validate bulbs but can't prove it will pull amp and light. After the known good bulb check, if not fixed, power and ground checks at the socket are next. Just simple troubleshooting.

Date: October 13, 2021 04:16AM

Lane66m I did check bulb, pulled right non-working light bulb and it worked fine in left, pulled working left bulb and installed in right, nothing.

So I guess its the switch

1965 Corvair Corsa 140

Mods/Options:
tinted Windshield
4 Speed manual
Rear Ant
passenger side mirror
electric fuel pump

Date: October 13, 2021 05:27AM

Before You tear into the wheel again check the socket has a ground. Then check power to the turn contact in the socket. If not back track with the meter to find out where the power is. Save some time maybe.

Here is a diagram that will help. You can back pin into the cabin connectors. I would probably back pin to check power at the rectangular connector first. Square connector at firewall is covered in sealant as you probably know. 66 wiring is the same here as in the 65.

Attachments:
Date: October 13, 2021 10:53AM

Al
The dash turn indicator not working is usually a sign of a bad front bulb.

??? How does a bad front bulb make the dash indicator not work? I guess if it is shorted, but then the fuse should blow.

As stated above, if both the dash indicator and the front bulb do not work, the turn signal switch is suspect #1. I do agree with using a meter to check for proper voltage on the turn signal switch's connector before tearing into the steering column!winking smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: October 13, 2021 10:56AM

Maybe it is the dash light won't won't flash. I may have it backwards. Old minds can get confused. But jumping into pulling a wheel and horn button system can create all new problems. Last thing I ever want to pull for a turn signal problem. Loose handle, yes, bad light heck no.

Date: October 13, 2021 07:40PM

Yes, non blinking turn signal lamp can be a bad bulb, either front or rear, as the current is now about half, so the thermal element in the flasher can not get hot enough to change state (on-off).

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: October 13, 2021 09:08PM

Beyond pulling or twisting bulb I had a similar non functioning directional issue in my ‘65 Corsa, no right front directional, Parking/running light worked and the right rear directional and brake light worked.

There was no power at right front directional housing and ground was good (new Clarks housing). Tracing back to dash there wasn’t power at main wiring connector at “firewall”. Going further back to dash and steering column, I forgot about the wiring harness connector at steering column to dash wiring harness.

Working back from car front(trunk) to steering column:
- Directional Housing, check for power and ground.
- Check Each leg of wiring (directional and running light) to Main wiring harness at firewall” connector
- Steering column wiring harness connector under dash at steering column

This last connector mentioned was cause of my lack of power to right front directional - the right front directional spade connector had pulled out from connector. Once pushed back in tight everything worked again.

Good luck.

Jimc
1965 Corsa

Jimc
1965 Corsa Coupe, two owner history

HACOA Member
CORSA 2017 Concours Senior Gold Award
AACA 2015 Award

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2021 09:10PM by jimc.

Posted by: SkidRo ()
Date: October 14, 2021 12:52PM

The exact thing happened to me as Jimc. I think the (a) purple wire from the steering column harness pushed out of the connector. I literally pushed it in, heard the click and it has been fine for years now.

Rory
66 Corsa
63 Rampside
Silver Spring, MD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.