Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Ac compressor
Posted by: ac1948 ()
Date: October 11, 2021 08:22AM

What are the numbers for sanden style compressors that will work in counterclockwise rotation and 134a? Thanks

Jerry Murray
Charleston, SC

63 Rampside, PG,110

65 4 door

65 Monza convertible, pg,ac,tele,am/fm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ac compressor
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 11, 2021 09:05AM

Model #4663

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio 45840

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 11, 2021 11:04AM

Wagon Master Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Model #4663

That's the 7 piston unit Clark's now sells. Sanden lists it as CW only!

At one time Sanden listed the old 5 piston unit as either CCW or CW, then they changed their documentation to ONLY CW. The 5 piston unit has a reputation for developing a growl (not just on Corvairs, but other cars) so Clark's now sells the 7 piston unit (4663).

Someone posted here that they called Sanden and as best I recall --- was told the 4663 can be operated CCW, but won't last as long. Kind of vague.

Another issue is the 4663 is HD as Tibco mentioned to me in our exchanges that, per Sanden documentation, limits the maximum compressor RPM to about (depends on pulley) 3,200 engine RPM!!! When I looked at the Sanden documentation the only difference they show for HD is a different clutch.

At this point I'm too busy to deal with Sanden, but this Winter I intend to call them and see if an equivalent to the 4663 is sold without the RPM limitation. If anyone wants to pursue this now, please feel free to contact Sanden

Date: October 11, 2021 11:32AM

I currently have a sd508 on my Rampside. Has operated flawlessly for 6 years. A friend is changing from the original gm unit and is seeking information.

Jerry Murray
Charleston, SC

63 Rampside, PG,110

65 4 door

Date: October 11, 2021 12:02PM

ac1948 Wrote:
> I currently have a sd508 on my Rampside. Has operated flawlessly for 6 years. A friend is changing from the original gm unit and is seeking information.

I recall (correct me if needed) that the SD508 was used in R12 systems. Interestingly most of the growling issues started with the R134a version of that compressor. It took me awhile to read all the literature (and toss the mis-information) but basically R12 can be "overcharged" (more refrigerant than required for optimal cooling) with little impact on the compressor BECAUSE the temperature vs. refrigerant pressure is lower for R12 vs. R134a. It's a considerable difference at the higher refrigerant temperatures. Basically the Corvair suggestion for the amount of R134a was excessive, in my opinion, and causes high compressor loads on hot days.

Basically any R134a system must be charged to optimal performance AND DON'T ADD ANY MORE R134a!!! About 33 ounces of R134a will get the Corvair system working, then only add in small increments until the evaporator temperature stops dropping with the blower fan on high (measure air temp at vent closest to evaporator).

So if your friend stays with R12 (or a substitute) it would be simpler, but you have to make sure the compressor will work with a mineral oil lubricant, vs. the PAG lubricants used for R134a.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2021 12:04PM by 66vairman.

Date: October 11, 2021 12:28PM

You can go online and find SD508 copies. Four Seasons makes a 58551 that may work. The compressors are reported to be made in Mexico and are about half the price of the Sanden unit.

Date: October 11, 2021 12:45PM

I am using 134a
The compressor came with 134a ports

Jerry Murray
Charleston, SC

63 Rampside, PG,110

65 4 door

Date: October 11, 2021 01:49PM

ac1948 Wrote:
> I am using 134a
> The compressor came with 134a ports

I believe that would be the Sanden SD5H14 and model #6664 sold by Clark's at one time. It comes loaded with PAG lubricant, but I recommend adding 1 ounce due to Sandens requirements on systems with a LONG low pressure return line.

Technically most of the lubricant is in the liquid high pressure side, but on the Corvair's LONG low pressure vapor return line from the evaporator, some of the lubricant drops out and lays in the LONG HORIZONTAL hose (or copper tube on original A/C cars).

On front engine cars the short low pressure hose isn't an issue when calculating lubricant volume, but on vehicles with long return hoses it is - think of front engined SUV's with an extra evaporator in the rear of the vehicle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2021 01:50PM by 66vairman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.