Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Feedback on Spring Replacement
Posted by: gbullman ()
Date: October 10, 2021 06:54AM

I discovered a few months ago that the driver side rear spring had some helpers in it so have been planning to change the rear springs for a while.

Yesterday I noticed that the drivers side front also has some helpers in it so now planning to replace the fronts as well.

I know the normal Corvair stance is a little rear low but my preference would be level or perhaps a little rear high.

I am installing standard springs in the rear from Clark's but seriously considering HD springs up front to lower the front just a little.

Are there any downsides to doing this? Has anyone done this, would appreciate any comments you may have after driving a car with this configuration?

I will also be installing Clark's Gas Charged Shocks all around as I prefer a firm ride.

Only decision left is HD or regular springs up front.

Thanks,
Gary

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Feedback on Spring Replacement
Posted by: JerryM ()
Date: October 10, 2021 07:10AM

I have done it on a '65 convertible; stock rear and fronts were '66 coupe F41 HD spec.

Slightly pitchy ride but nothing of any concern

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2021 07:11AM by JerryM.

Date: October 10, 2021 07:29AM

Jerry,

Hadn't considered that sort of mix, I imagine the couple HDs are not quite as firm as the convertible ones.

Not familiar with the term pitchy ride, what kind of behavior is that?

Thanks for the info,
Gary

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 10, 2021 08:13AM

You said you installed "standard" springs in back. I assume you are talking about the convertible. The convertible springs have a higher load rating vs. the coupe springs.

On my 66 convertible I installed new rear convertible springs and kept the old front springs. Car sits level now.

Keep in mind convertibles are not as structurally "stiff" as sedans so stiffer springs/shocks tends to aggravate body flexing.

Posted by: JerryM ()
Date: October 10, 2021 08:33AM

gbullman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jerry,
>
> Hadn't considered that sort of mix, I imagine the couple HDs are not quite as firm as the convertible ones.
>
> Not familiar with the term pitchy ride, what kind of behavior is that?
>
> Thanks for the info,
> Gary

Stock springs are engineered as a set or "system" to give a flat ride. If you use a spring from another "system" that has different spring rates, deflection and frequency are different and that harmonization no longer exists - the front and rear bouncing at frequencies out of sync is usually referred to as "pitching"

Date: October 10, 2021 08:55AM

Thanks to both of you, I've made my decision. I should have pointed out that I do have rear standard convertible springs to install in the rear (planning that in a couple of weeks).

I want to eliminate all the current springs that have rubber helpers in them so I'll be getting standard convertible front springs as well. How the car sits is not as important to me as having the best ride I can achieve.

My original plan was to keep the front springs but discovering one side also has helpers is enough to have me replace those too.

I replaced all the springs in my 55 Chevy and the results were amazing. The ride of the Corvair now is quite good so any improvement will be a bonus.

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Posted by: jamesolefjensen ()
Date: October 11, 2021 11:14AM

I have the Clark's HD springs all around in my coupe. (No cuts plus Konis) Perfect for my taste (I prefer back roads to boulevards). Just another data point and plug for Clark's.

As noted, GM selected springs as part of a system. The convertibles are heavier than the coupes so higher sping rates are required for the same ride (natural frequency in engineering terms). Chassis flex is another consideration (i.e. more flex leads to higher wheel rates all else being equal)

James
65 Corsa
SF Bay Area

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.