Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Turn signal Bulb
Posted by: Mjposner ()
Date: October 10, 2021 04:39AM

Does the bulb just pull out or is it a twist and pull. I can barely get at it so if I have to twist and pull I need a smaller person!

1965 Corvair Corsa 140
Regal red over Red/Black Interior

Mods/Options:
Wood telescoping Steering Wheel
Clock (correct twice a day)
tinted Windshield
4 Speed manual
Rear Ant
passenger side mirror
electric fuel pump
Vintique type 30 rally whels

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turn signal Bulb
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 10, 2021 04:47AM

Yes...you push in ever so slightly and rotate counter clockwise to remove.
There should not be any, front or rear turn signal bulbs on a 65 Corsa that the whole socket and bulb don't remove from the rear.
Wear a leather glove if it's really corroded in there.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio 45840

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: October 10, 2021 05:32AM

Late model front turn signal bulbs can only be removed from the front because the sockets are crimped to the housing.
I've had success using the end of a 5/8" heater hose to push in and rotate the bulb.

If the bulb won't push in (required before rotation ccw), spray penetrating oil past the bulb. Sometimes the only option is to twist-off the glass and collapse the base. Make sure to spray penetrating oil into the socket and work to get the base springy again.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:
Posted by: gbullman ()
Date: October 10, 2021 05:37AM

I haven’t had to deal with the front bulbs but in the rear the light socket pulls straight out of the light enclosure, there is a slot on the enclosure and a key on the socket that forces alignment.

Note the original sockets are kind of cheaply assembled, the ground for the bulb is pressed into the plastic socket and is usually loose after all these years, you may find the bulb and ground just sort of falls out when you pull the socket out of the housing.

I’ve had decent luck tweaking the teeth on the bulb ground (slightly bending each one in an alternate direction) and then pushing the ground back into the socket. Ultimately I’ll probably need to change these sockets but my little trick has held for many months now.

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 10, 2021 05:38AM

Brain fade is a terrible affliction.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 10, 2021 08:28AM

Craig's picture shows the socket removed from the back side. Take off the sheet metal plate inside the trunk on the side you are working on, push in and twist the socket to remove ( it is also pinned so it only goes back in one way easily) and spray your favorite penetrant in there. Then try removing the bulb after a waiting period.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: October 10, 2021 08:57AM

I learned (was taught) a trick in the 50s about removing bulb from deeply recessed holes. I was shown this after the glass bulb broke in my fingers when I was trying to twist it.

Trick is: find a short length of rubber hose with hole size smaller but close to diameter of the bulb. Use the hose to do twisting/pushing. NO blood to clean from te finish of the car or the shop floor either.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: October 10, 2021 09:04AM

I use a 1/2" plumbers wire brush to clean the inside of the bulb sockets, and once they are clean, I put a light smear of Vaseline on the sides and base of the bulb before reinstalling. The Vaseline keeps moisture out and provides a good contact.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 10, 2021 02:56PM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Craig's picture shows the socket removed from the back side. Take off the sheet metal plate inside the trunk on the side you are working on, push in and twist the socket to remove ( it is also pinned so it only goes back in one way easily) and spray your favorite penetrant in there. Then try removing the bulb after a waiting period.

That can be done, but that plastic part with the terminals is FRAGILE. Best not to remove it if possible.

Lots of good suggestions to remove the bulb from the front housing. Rears come out from inside as Gary mentioned.

If there is corrosion in the socket after removing the bulb, then clean that up and coat the new bulb base with a Di-electric grease (non-conductive grease that autoparts store sell). I've never had an issue removing a bulb that was installed with a little Di-electric grease.

Don't use chassis grease or Vaseline as they can become conductive.

Date: October 10, 2021 06:43PM

Don't use chassis grease or Vaseline as they can become conductive.

OK, I have never seen this, and GM seemed to use a chassis type grease on all their exterior 1157/2057, etc lamps in the late 70s, 80s and 90s. Chassis grease works well here in the salty rusty east.

But, Dielectric grease is available in most every parts store now, and one should keep a tube in the shop for spark plug wires, etc, so why not use it on other electrical connections too!

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: October 11, 2021 09:12PM

66vairman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Frank DuVal Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Craig's picture shows the socket removed from the back side. Take off the sheet metal plate inside the trunk on the side you are working on, push in and twist the socket to remove ( it is also pinned so it only goes back in one way easily) and spray your favorite penetrant in there. Then try removing the bulb after a waiting period.
>
> That can be done, but that plastic part with the terminals is FRAGILE. Best not to remove it if possible.
>
> Lots of good suggestions to remove the bulb from the front housing. Rears come out from inside as Gary mentioned.
>
> If there is corrosion in the socket after removing the bulb, then clean that up and coat the new bulb base with a Di-electric grease (non-conductive grease that autoparts store sell). I've never had an issue removing a bulb that was installed with a little Di-electric grease.
>
> Don't use chassis grease or Vaseline as they can become conductive.

So you want to insulate the bulb and the outer shell from making good contact with the terminals and the socket ground? That is what Di-electric grease does, insulates the contact of the parts that cause illumination of the bulb.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: October 11, 2021 09:22PM

Right, it does. But, the mechanical pressure digs right through the grease and contact is made. Last for years. Better than corrosion making the contact go away, freezing the bulb in the socket. Look at any GM car made from the late 70s to the 90s, taillamp sockets FULL of grease! You never put grease on battery posts and then put the cables on to stop corrosion of the terminals? A common use for grease. Sure one can buy the expensive spray on stuff that does the same thing.

Dielectric grease is used on spark plug terminals all the time. That's why it is sold in parts stores. Helps to remove the boots an another 100 K miles.winking smiley

At 12 volts, chassis grease will do well, Vaseline's issue is it melts at lower temperature, so it can run and make a mess. I used it for years on battery posts. Battery top gets a little greasy, not an issue for non-show cars.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2021 09:24PM by Frank DuVal.

Re: Turn signal Bulb in the dash
Posted by: Mjposner ()
Date: October 12, 2021 04:15AM

I think I wasn't clear. I am talking about the turn signal bulb in the dash itself. I guess I should have called it the indicator bulb. I can reach it from behind with one hand but can't remove bulb easily and I do not want to force.

1965 Corvair Corsa 140
Regal red over Red/Black Interior

Mods/Options:
Wood telescoping Steering Wheel
Clock (correct twice a day)
tinted Windshield
4 Speed manual
Rear Ant
passenger side mirror
electric fuel pump
Vintique type 30 rally whels

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: October 12, 2021 05:48AM

OP started a thread started here.

[corvaircenter.com]

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.