Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Posted by: Cadillacdevic ()
Date: October 08, 2021 04:26PM

What’s up ya’ll!! New to the forum and to corvairs. I just picked up a complete 1963 corvan that was sitting for while and I’m hoping to get it back on the road soon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: October 08, 2021 04:33PM

WELCOME! We like pictures. '63 was a great year. One of my favorite Corvairs is my '63 RS. I have owned it since 1980. Where are you? Have you joined your local club or Corsa yet? And what model did you get? Welcome.

Date: October 08, 2021 05:27PM

I haven’t joined any clubs, maybe once I get it going.

I’m out in the Antelope Valley in California.

It’s a 1963 corvair 95 panel van.

Posted by: detroitdude ()
Date: October 08, 2021 06:17PM

Welcome from the "motor city"
Enjoy and can't wait to see pictures.

Dan Dood
69 Monza Convertible
66 500 Coupe
61 Monza 4 door

Detroit, Michigan

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: October 08, 2021 06:48PM

Cadillacdevic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I haven’t joined any clubs, maybe once I get it going.
>
> I’m out in the Antelope Valley in California.
>
> It’s a 1963 corvair 95 panel van.

Welcome to CCF. You should join clubs now. You need the most help now getting the FC running and looking good and your local club will help. Good luck

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: vairsUPnorth ()
Date: October 08, 2021 07:13PM

Thanks for the interest and joining this forum. It would be a great advantage for you to join Corvanantics, a Corvair Society of America (CORSA) chartered club devoted to education, enjoyment and preservation of the complete Corvair FC line. There is a wealth of information on our website and an online application form:

[www.corvair.org]

Please also provide your vehicle information to the CORSA registry;

[www.corvair.org]

Please post a couple pictures. Also, take your time to be thorough getting your Corvan prepped for its first drive. Ask the folks on this forum as they have a wealth of information available just for asking.

Dale Dewald
President - Corvanatics
Hancock, MI

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: October 08, 2021 07:17PM

And be aware in 2 weeks is one of the worlds largest Corvair only swap meet and car show in Palm Springs.
I know that is pretty close to you. Also Dave Motohead is near you and he is a wealth of knowledge (and parts).

Date: October 09, 2021 06:43PM

Thanks everyone, I’ll look into the clubs and definitely interested in the swap!!! I’m still trying to figure out how to resize my pics, once I do I’ll post some of the van.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2021 06:44PM by Cadillacdevic.

Date: October 09, 2021 09:09PM

Got it, here it is. Put new tires so that I could roll it easier till I get it running.

Attachments:
Posted by: detroitdude ()
Date: October 10, 2021 12:24AM

Look great, thanks for sharing.

Dan Dood
69 Monza Convertible
66 500 Coupe
61 Monza 4 door

Detroit, Michigan

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 10, 2021 09:00AM

Looks solid and complete! Here's to fun with this one!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: guthrie1068 ()
Date: October 11, 2021 04:18AM

thumbs up thumbs up

Chad Guthrie
Rives Junction, MI
'63 convertible

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 11, 2021 04:54AM

The tie-down hooks on the side and the tow bar on the front speak to a Van that's done some work. I like it.
I'm using a 63 Van as a daily driver, sort of cool to have a shop truck. It must be a late 63 as it has the 64 shift tube through the gas tank. The VD 102 HP engine needs a head and 3 pistons due to a valve seat issue so I have a 64 110 HP car engine in there for now.
Is your's a Manual or Powerglide? Have you figured out what engine you have? Is the gas tank good inside? FCs are fairly easy to install a dual brake master cylinder if you're working on the brakes. It might be hard to come up with mirrors to fit your existing holes. I wish mine was as solid as far as rust goes.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: October 11, 2021 12:48PM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
> The tie-down hooks on the side and the tow bar on the front speak to a Van that's done some work. I like it.
> I'm using a 63 Van as a daily driver, sort of cool to have a shop truck. It must be a late 63 as it has the 64 shift tube through the gas tank. The VD 102 HP engine needs a head and 3 pistons due to a valve seat issue so I have a 64 110 HP car engine in there for now.
> Is your's a Manual or Powerglide? Have you figured out what engine you have? Is the gas tank good inside? FCs are fairly easy to install a dual brake master cylinder if you're working on the brakes. It might be hard to come up with mirrors to fit your existing holes. I wish mine was as solid as far as rust goes.

Hey Jim, it definitely was a worker but whoever had it took pretty good care of it as it’s an un-molested van. I don’t know the specifics of the motor other than it has to be original with a 4 speed manual. I still have to pull the tank. And brakes are definitely on the to do list.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 11, 2021 06:49PM

Sometimes work vehicles have received the best maintenance.
The engine number is on the top of the crankcase in the rear. It's down in the valley behind the top shroud and ahead of the generator and oil pressure sender. You might need to clean down in there with a screwdriver and paper towel. It's the last 2 letters that mean something, mine is a rare VD.
Do you have a FC engine with the oil fill tube and dipstick going up to the door above the rear bumper? Car engines have the oil fill tube and dipstick on top.
I get them running out of a gas can if I think the gas tank is iffy. Usually the carburetors at least need a cleaning inside and new accelerator pump cups. I have the luxury of known good test carbs that make it easier at first.
Procedures for turning it over and getting oil pressure can vary, the best ones take the most time.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: October 30, 2021 05:48PM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
> Sometimes work vehicles have received the best maintenance.
> The engine number is on the top of the crankcase in the rear. It's down in the valley behind the top shroud and ahead of the generator and oil pressure sender. You might need to clean down in there with a screwdriver and paper towel. It's the last 2 letters that mean something, mine is a rare VD.
> Do you have a FC engine with the oil fill tube and dipstick going up to the door above the rear bumper? Car engines have the oil fill tube and dipstick on top.
> I get them running out of a gas can if I think the gas tank is iffy. Usually the carburetors at least need a cleaning inside and new accelerator pump cups. I have the luxury of known good test carbs that make it easier at first.
> Procedures for turning it over and getting oil pressure can vary, the best ones take the most time.

Hey Jim I took a look at the engine number and it just a V, and it is the van motor with the oil fill and dip are above the rear bumper door.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.