Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Cleaning Fins
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: October 06, 2021 11:07AM

Does anyone have any tips about cleaning the fins--without removing then of course.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cleaning Fins
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 06, 2021 01:23PM

I remove the top and bottom shrouds. Put a bright light underneath, and have at it with drill bits, 1/16" and 3/32" flat stock and a drywall saw.

Date: October 06, 2021 01:24PM

Thx. I have those!

ECP

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: October 06, 2021 02:16PM

Sometimes a hacksaw blade helps too.

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: October 06, 2021 03:06PM

You will also need to remove the baffles that are clipped to the bottom of the cylinders, to let the light shine through. Which also means that you will need to remove the push rod tubes too. I replaced the O rings while it was apart. ( Viton ) I just did that job on my 62 yesterday. It's not a hard job, just time consuming. I also used a 100 PSI air pressure hose to blow the junk out thru the top & bottom. Oh, 1 more thing. To get the tubes out, you have to remove the rocker, arms push rod guides, push rods, re-install & adjust the valves too. I did a "cold valve adjustment & will do a "running" adjustment after the thing is back together & running. You don't need to remove the heads. You do need to remove the lower head bolts ( rocker arm studs) & re-torque them too. don't touch the upper head bolts. re- torque the lower ones to 35 lbs / ft.
Those other guys made it sound so simple. Do this Eric. You need the experience.And dirty hands.

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Date: October 06, 2021 04:53PM

I'm going to have to do all of it. I have new heads coming.........soon.......and I'm the guy who will have to get them on there.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 06, 2021 04:55PM

Nope.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 06, 2021 06:31PM

You can deflash the heads without removing the baffles under the cylinders.
You can deflash the heads without removing the pushrod tubes. It might not be quite as good but way better than doing nothing.
I use a Sawzall blade in a vicegrip.
My buddy swears by using a Sawzall blade in an air scraper but I haven't really tried it yet. I got a blade modified to fit, it seems like it just buzzes but I'm willing to give it a try, the vicegrip thing is tedious.

I don't think you ever want to remove the whole row of bottom rocker arm studs. The head can "tip" and kink the head gaskets. I do one cylinder at a time when doing pushrod tube o-rings.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: October 06, 2021 07:47PM

If you have different heads you are going to install, deflash them before installation and just swap them on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: October 06, 2021 08:04PM

Its much easier to do a nice job when the heads are off! One last tip... theres some really well done deflashing jobs that have been posted here in the past- look at how those are done and compare with yours, with the idea that you wont be finished until yours look like the pics! When I have done this, my only tool was a coarse hacksaw blade and vise grips. It is really slow going doing that. A slick method I have been wanting to try uses a "wire file" which is just a long wire with abrasive/cutting teeth built into it. you thread the wire into the fin section you want to work on and pull it back and forth to cut, although I'm not sure of the actual, real name of these things.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: October 06, 2021 08:17PM

Kind of like this, although it is made for cutting plastic. Others using abrasive are made for cutting metal

[www.amazon.com]

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Date: October 06, 2021 10:08PM

Thanks, all.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 07, 2021 04:43AM

63turbo wrote"
"A slick method I have been wanting to try uses a "wire file" which is just a long wire with abrasive/cutting teeth built into it. you thread the wire into the fin section you want to work on and pull it back and forth to cut, although I'm not sure of the actual, real name of these things."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How many Swedes does it take to deflash a head?

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: October 07, 2021 04:46AM

Some of the tips are good and easy but the last couple ????

You will need the long aircraft 1/8" drill bits if you need to use them but be careful as you can break the tip off in the head if the holes are uneven from top to bottom. I also use a thinned down long screwdriver and lastly I use a drywall saw, the hand kind. I grind down the back side and taper smaller.

Some of the pics of heads on here are ones I have done!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: gbullman ()
Date: October 07, 2021 04:55AM

Eric,

I used a sheetrock saw and it worked quite well. Already has a comfortable handle and really aggressive teeth on the blade.

My indicated temperature dropped by at least 25 degrees under like conditions after I deflated my heads.

Gary

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2021 04:56AM by gbullman.

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: October 07, 2021 05:10AM

The process I have used lately is to use a 'carbide grit' hacksaw blade.

Like this one at Amazon

I cut the ends off, then cut it in half (if its long enough), and chuck it up in the drill. it does a good job removing everything that shouldnt be there.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: 63Darrin ()
Date: October 19, 2021 08:24PM

12" by 1/8th drill bit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.