Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
FOR SALE: 1965 140 ENGINE COMPLETELY REBUILT (TURN-KEY)
Posted by: tomkeo ()
Date: October 02, 2021 06:38PM

This motor has been built to 1965 specs. (no lock-outs on secondary’s).
The original crankcase (RB code) was damaged years ago and has been replaced with a 110 (RD code).

Crankshaft: Nitrided 140 crank, Std. / Std. polished, new standard bearings, Plastigage clearances are well within ‘new’ specs.
Pistons: Clark’s Hi Tech +.040”
Rings: Moly
Rods: Wet mag, resize and align
Cylinders: GM, bored +.040 by Clarks
Cam: Original ‘891’ first design. (has slightly more lift than 304 cam).
Lifters, Rockers & Springs: New Clarks
Flywheel: NOS Dale
Alternator: New, 65 Amp. single wire
Fuel pump: New, Clarks
Distributor: Pertronix (basic) module, stock coil. Weights, springs, cam, & vacuum adv. are all 140 parts.
Oil pan: Custon cast aluminum by MOORE. Similar to OTTO.

NOTE: A.I.R. (smog) type manifolds. These are internally identical to std. 140 manifolds. The added, external passages to accommodate the air injection have been blocked off. I used them because they are like new and the original 140 manifolds were
in bad shape. They have been coated with ceramic and heat cured.

Clutch assembly, Starter, Exhaust system: Not included

All engine shrouds are included, including lower shrouds with good, used thermostats.
Both left & right side new muffler brackets are included.
Engine has been bench tested and tuned and is road ready.

Price: $5900 Plus crating & shipping (Core or core deposit not required)

Tom Keosababian
Grants Pass, Oregon

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FOR SALE: 1965 140 ENGINE COMPLETELY REBUILT (TURN-KEY)
Posted by: alphasud ()
Date: October 02, 2021 09:35PM

Nice looking engine Tom. I guess I will be first to ask. Any seat work done on the cylinder heads?

David North Idaho
1965 Corsa Turbo converted to 140
1971 Super Beetle with 2.5L Subaru engine

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 02, 2021 09:36PM

Probably just an oversight but you don't mention head work.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: October 02, 2021 10:40PM

Yes...I did forget to mention head work. These heads were in pretty good shape--no signs of overheating. I did heat the heads and check the valve seats--they were all tight. The intake guides were still in spec. but I did replace the exhaust guides and hone them to fit. Intake valves were ground on the back side to improve flow and I did clean-up the exhaust ports to improve flow. I also installed valve seals on the intakes only.
I milled the heads .020" then cc'd the chambers to check compression ratio. With the oversized (.040") piston the C.R. checked out at 9.0:1. (Most 140 engines come from the factory with less than 8.5:1.)
I have never replaced all the valve seats on any engine. That would add over $2000 to the cost of a rebuild. Just installing 12 new seats doesn't mean that you won't have any failures. Any valve seat can fall out if it isn't installed correctly. Several years ago I was installing new valve guides in a cylinder head that I had heated in an oven when I heard something hit the bench. I turned the head over and BOTH seats had fallen out of one chamber--and they were DEEP seats. The other 2 chambers on this particular head were stock and they were nice and tight.
I hope this answers your question. Thanks

TomKeo

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 03, 2021 06:44AM

I've never thought to actually heat the heads to check the valve seats, seems like a good idea. Do you just put them in an oven to 400 or...?

I'm sorry to sidetrack your thread. Nice engine and of course TomKeo knows what he's doing.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 03, 2021 07:24AM

tomkeo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
The intake guides were still in spec. but I did replace the exhaust guides and hone them to fit.
TomKeo

You really have to be lucky for the valve guide i.d. to be concentric with the o.d.
I'm rarely able to get away with just a guide replacement.
Good luck on your engine sale. That will get someone reliably back on the road.thumbs up

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio 45840

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: October 03, 2021 07:27AM

I must say I am very pleased to se this post.
When a respected veteran like Tom K states a price like this for a nice 140 engine build, it should jolt the folks stuck, price wise, in the 1980's back to reality.
Professional engine builds for any classic cost real money, effort and attention to detail.
Corvair engines are no exception.
Also of note, the cost to add high press fit valves seats are NOT included in the above quote.
While doing so as part of a engine build may not approach $2000, the cost of doing so must be added to the final engine price.
Finally, a test of the engine, if requested and carried out [a wise move -IMHO] is also a added cost to the final invoice.
I, with few exceptions, do this test on my infrequent engine builds for clients who respect professional work.
I find it prevents newby owner install errors that can destroy a lot of hard work.
Like forgetting to put oil in a clearly marked NO OIL tagger engine and then starting it .
And then attempting to blame the engine builder. YOMV

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: JerryM ()
Date: October 03, 2021 08:21AM

dryenko Wrote:
> When a respected veteran like Tom K states a price like this for a nice 140 engine build, it should jolt the folks stuck, price wise, in the 1980's back to reality.
> Professional engine builds for any classic cost real money, effort and attention to detail.
> Corvair engines are no exception.
> ...
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: sura ()
Date: October 03, 2021 02:01PM

I'm really happy to see this engine brought back. This was the engine in my Corsa that, as Tom mentioned, had damage to the case - done prior to my owning it. I drove it for 12 years that way and can say it was what I thought was a good, strong 140. I finally pulled it last year and Tom bought it.

I got to see some of Tom's work on the engine last spring. Totally impressive, meticulous work.

Congratulations Tom.

Ray in Southern Oregon
'65 Corsa Regal Red
Minilites

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: October 03, 2021 03:44PM

So that brace on the alternator: stock, or just a good idea? I only ask because my engine has never had one. So if I need it this is a perfect time for me to get it.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: October 03, 2021 03:53PM

Yes.

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: October 03, 2021 04:28PM

playerpage Wrote:
> So that brace on the alternator: stock, or just a good idea? I only ask because my engine has never had one. So if I need it this is a perfect time for me to get it.

That particular brace is not stock as that alternator is not stock. that brace is longer than the stock brace to accommodate the different position of the bracing bolt in point of this non-stock alternator. The stock alternator uses a similar but shorter brace. If you have and internally regulated alternator a longer brace must be fabricated. How the brace is made and how long it needs to be depends on the alternator in use and more specifically how it is clocked.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 03, 2021 04:50PM

TerribleTed Wrote:
> playerpage Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > So that brace on the alternator: stock, or just a good idea? I only ask because my engine has never had one. So if I need it this is a perfect time for me to get it.
>
>
> That particular brace is not stock as that alternator is not stock. that brace is longer than the stock brace to accommodate the different position of the bracing bolt in point of this non-stock alternator. The stock alternator uses a similar but shorter brace. If you have and internally regulated alternator a longer brace must be fabricated. How the brace is made and how long it needs to be depends on the alternator in use and more specifically how it is clocked.

Good follow up Ted. The brace has been discussed over the years (decades?). Some say they aren't needed - but the best argument for them is --- GM would NOT have spent the money to install it unless it was needed!! Without a brace the front alternator housing ears can crack or break off.

It's getting more difficult to find a good Corvair specific front alternator housing and anything to ensure it's longevity is good.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 03, 2021 04:57PM

I keep my wires lower and the brace verticsl on the internally regulated alternator I install.

Link shows photo of my installation. I have made numerous braces in the past when I had time for people who wanted one on their cars. I agree, that bit of support is helpful to prevent cracking of the housing.

[corvaircenter.com]

Date: October 03, 2021 07:54PM

Lane66m Wrote:
> I keep my wires lower and the brace verticsl on the internally regulated alternator I install.
>
> Link shows photo of my installation. I have made numerous braces in the past when I had time for people who wanted one on their cars. I agree, that bit of support is helpful to prevent cracking of the housing.
>
> [corvaircenter.com]

Yup I prefer to clock mine with the plug spot forward so the brace is vertical like you do Lane.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[www.facebook.com]

Date: October 03, 2021 07:54PM

Lane66m Wrote:
> I keep my wires lower and the brace verticsl on the internally regulated alternator I install.
>
> Link shows photo of my installation. I have made numerous braces in the past when I had time for people who wanted one on their cars. I agree, that bit of support is helpful to prevent cracking of the housing.
>
> [corvaircenter.com]

Yup I prefer to clock mine with the plug spot forward so the brace is vertical like you do Lane.

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Cheepfk ()
Date: October 04, 2021 09:45AM

Not sure if I missed it but does this engine have simply a used camshaft and used cylinder heads?

Thanks,

Fred

Date: October 05, 2021 04:20PM

Of course this motor has USED cylinder heads. What other choice is there? In the 1960's, you could buy new, bare cylinder heads from GM for about $54 each. The last time I bought new heads was 1972 and they were junk--I never used them. Apparently Chevrolet was selling their inventory of foundry rejects in those final days.
I used the 891 cam not because I'm cheap, but I prefer that cam to the current choices available from Clarks.
On my initial posting on this thread, I forgot to describe the cylinder head work that was done. I added that information on a later posting.
I will take this opportunity to add a couple more photos. One will show some details of the MOORE oil pan.

TomKeo

Attachments:

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: October 05, 2021 04:43PM

I love 891 cams! Buttery-smooth take-off.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: October 05, 2021 05:23PM

Museum quality work Tom.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.