Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Stupid moves of the week: Baked my engine fansad smiley
Posted by: Mark M ()
Date: October 01, 2021 10:52AM

I'm reinstallig the engine - this time with and electric fuel pump, new heads, turbo and LM carb and am taking time to repaint some shrouds and such. I blasted and then painted the valve covers with VHT header paint because the supposed heat-resistant paint I used last time was a failure.

I also like the look with the engine fan painted aluminum so I painted it with the same header paint. To cure the paint you bake it in your oven. No problem I figured, the Vair engine gets pretty hot. I figured the fan did not really need to be baked, but what the heck - I was baking the valve covers anyway and I wanted to follow the paint can instructions.

The valve covers came out great smiling bouncing smiley But I guess the magnesium fan got a little hotter than the steel covers and it bubbled that paint right off! I should be happy it didn't catch on fire. hot smiley The paint held for the first two baking cycles but the last cycle was at 400 degrees.

Headed back out to the garage now to strip the fan and repaint, and fix my second stupid move of the week. I put the exhaust manifolds on before I put the front two shroud pieces back in place. Shoulda' known. BTDT before.

Mark M
Project: 64 Spyder Convertible
1st Vair: 65 Corsa 140
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

"If it's not broken, you're not driving it hard enough"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stupid moves of the week: Baked my engine fansad smiley
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: October 01, 2021 11:41AM

Magnesium catches fire at 883 degrees.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 138 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: October 01, 2021 12:53PM

The mag fan is pretty porous. the bubbling may well have been air expanding out of the porosity. I have painted a bunch of these fans. they do not get that hot so special high temp paints are not really needed. I have used VHT wheel paints with good success. There are a few silverish colors to choose from.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 01, 2021 01:57PM

TerribleTed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The mag fan is pretty porous. the bubbling may well have been air expanding out of the porosity. I have painted a bunch of these fans. they do not get that hot so special high temp paints are not really needed. I have used VHT wheel paints with good success. There are a few silverish colors to choose from.

Yup --- I've had a few paints fail. First issue is magnesium oxidizes and GM painted them with a VERY TOUGH paint. Any exposed magnesium is porous and getting all cleaning moisture or solvent removed is a job.

Now I sand them, use a brake cleaner solvent, then 2K epoxy primer them. After a couple days for the primer to cure I used regular automotive base/clear coat without issues.

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: October 01, 2021 02:07PM

For the very best results with any paint requiring a baking process after spraying (powder coating too) you should pre-bake the part to drive out anything lurking under the surface.

It also could be that solvents in the high-temp paint had not yet outgassed enough before the heat accelerated the outgassing faster than it could pass through the paint film.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Date: October 01, 2021 02:25PM

azdave Wrote:
> For the very best results with any paint requiring a baking process after spraying (powder coating too) you should pre-bake the part to drive out anything lurking under the surface.
>
> It also could be that solvents in the high-temp paint had not yet outgassed enough before the heat accelerated the outgassing faster than it could pass through the paint film.

Good advice. Yes I've made the mistake of "baking" VHT paint before it had completely outgassed. Wait a a few days before baking VHT.

Posted by: 2-ragtops ()
Date: October 02, 2021 05:29AM

Mark

I have powder coated them without issues at 350 degrees.

Probably the paint, or as others have suggested above.

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs
1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1928 Ford Model A 2 door sedan
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: vairsUPnorth ()
Date: October 02, 2021 07:44AM

66vairman Wrote:

> Yup --- I've had a few paints fail. First issue is magnesium oxidizes and GM painted them with a VERY TOUGH paint. Any exposed magnesium is porous and getting all cleaning moisture or solvent removed is a job.
>

I don't really want to nitpick but the original factory dull gray "paint" was a chromate dip conversion coating designed to passivate the surface--kind of like anodizing. Of course, it was only intended to last slightly beyond the warranty.

Dale Dewald
President - Corvanatics
Hancock, MI

Date: October 02, 2021 08:32AM

vairsUPnorth Wrote:
>
> I don't really want to nitpick but the original factory dull gray "paint" was a chromate dip conversion coating designed to passivate the surface--kind of like anodizing. Of course, it was only intended to last slightly beyond the warranty.

Thanks for the information. The ones I've seen have a relatively thick layer. I know back east corrosion is an issue, but out west decades old fans are still in good condition.

Posted by: Mark M ()
Date: October 02, 2021 12:24PM

I let the fan sit for a week after painting. My guess is that the porosity of the fan didn't help.

Mark M
Project: 64 Spyder Convertible
1st Vair: 65 Corsa 140
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

"If it's not broken, you're not driving it hard enough"

Posted by: 65Ragtop ()
Date: October 02, 2021 07:50PM

Without making it more complicated than it needs to be, the key to success after you have cleaned the fan is to bake it BEFORE you paint it as has already been suggested by AZDave. I bake it at 175/200 degrees for about an hour. Be ready to paint it as soon as it cools. I like to use a magnesium friendly Alkyd Enamel. You can get Krylon Industrial Tuffcoat Alkyd Enamel in a rattle can at almost any ACE Hardware store. No need to bake it afterwards. Good luck with your car.

Mike Schantel
1965 Corsa 140
Corsa Member
Arizona

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.