Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
When Replacing Springs
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: September 26, 2021 08:30PM

Just how difficult is a spring replacement? What tools are needed?

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: When Replacing Springs
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 26, 2021 08:47PM

Other will have a good procedure. I'll just say that a compressed spring is holding up 1/4 of the cars weight. That can do considerable damage to a person if not very careful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2021 08:48PM by 66vairman.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: September 26, 2021 08:48PM

Coil suspension springs, or valve springs?

Posted by: gbullman ()
Date: September 27, 2021 02:44AM

I have the same question, rear springs specifically. My current plan is to get the car up on jack stands, with a jack under the drum to disconnect the shock and lower the suspension as far as it will go without straining anything, then use a spring compressor for what little tension is left.

I believe if you disconnect the lower bar from the differential, possibly disconnect the brake hose you can lower it enough to fully relax the spring (at least that is what I remember reading).

Expecting to do my rear springs within the next few weeks.

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: September 27, 2021 07:04AM

Gary has it right for the rear springs. There are a number of things that will hinder it but you can deal with them one at a time. Otherwise, rent a coil spring compressor and do it right. That should make it less difficult to get them out.

On the front, as long as your renting the coil spring compressor use it!. I mage my own out of a long piece of 1/2" all-thread long enough to replace the shock with about another 8" of threads. I made a plate for the bottom and used some washers and a nut for the top. Put the plate under the lower control arm and tighten the top nut until you have the spring under pressure. Then disconnect the spindles ball joint and slowly unthread the top nut until there is no longer any spring pressure.

66RTVair
Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza DP Racecar
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 27, 2021 10:59AM

gbullman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have the same question, rear springs specifically. My current plan is to get the car up on jack stands, with a jack under the drum to disconnect the shock and lower the suspension as far as it will go without straining anything, then use a spring compressor for what little tension is left.
>
> I believe if you disconnect the lower bar from the differential, possibly disconnect the brake hose you can lower it enough to fully relax the spring (at least that is what I remember reading).
>
> Expecting to do my rear springs within the next few weeks.

Yes that will work, BUT don't lift the trailing arm using the brake drum because you can bend the drum. Another thing not mentioned --- before you lift the trailing arm make sure EACH END of the installed spring is about the same distance from the indentation (stop). As the spring compresses it can move and if either end hits the formed stop it binds the spring and can change ride height - BTDT. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it right.

Also watch the jack stands. Compressing the spring with the trailing are (rear) or front arm can lift the car off one or more jack stands.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: September 27, 2021 10:46PM

SoundsI was wondering about the suspension springs, so thanks all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.